Lets talk welders and tools

Sikocycles

Adventurer
So looks like a large 220v plug. Trying to see if I can buy or borrow it.
Seems to be an old machine but its in nice shape with little use.

Its just sitting in the corner of the factory floor not being used and i think has not been used in a very long time

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
As long as the electronics are good you can give new life to an old welder with:

New wire liner in the stinger

Clean the dust of the feed gears

Score a new stinger Tweco makes great budget upgrades

Make sure you are matched up correctly .035 wire = .035 tips..

stomperxj

Explorer
X2 on everything that has been said. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart.... is like saying Ford, Chevy, Dodge. I had a Miller and hated it. Picked up a Hobart 190 and it is hands down the best welder I have ever used. Plus it is spool gun ready. Yes it was nearly $1k with everything but in my opinion it's worth saving up for a good machine. Better welds and the duty cycle is better. Find some extra stuff in your garage to liquidate on craigslist or do some side jobs to build up funds.

As far as learning... X2 on what has been said also. MIG is not really that hard to learn to make strong welds. Making them look good takes more practice. Use straight CO2. Cheaper...

Good luck and post results....

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I believer that Miller owns Hobart;I know my Hobart 130 (110 volt) has Miller (part number and logo) parts in it.
I figure that Miller just uses up last model year parts in Hobarts; no proof though.

Enjoy!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I believer that Miller owns Hobart;I know my Hobart 130 (110 volt) has Miller (part number and logo) parts in it.
I figure that Miller just uses up last model year parts in Hobarts; no proof though.

Enjoy!

Back in the day at least, Hobart was Millers hobby line. The smaller 120v machines were made in the same plant over in Wisconsin. The biggest difference at the time was the transformers inside. Miller got copper wound, Hobart got aluminum, with probably some other less significant differences. There were two assembly lines putting together essentially the same things, just one was Miller and the other was Hobart.

These days it's hard to say. Things in that industry have changed so much over the years with buyouts, mergers, takeovers, what have you. I have no clue what's going on any more.

Sikocycles

Adventurer
I am deciding between a Hobart mvp 210, Lincoln power mig dual 180 and Miller 211. The welder from work did not work out.
I want something I can run at 120v the 240 once I get it wired. Buy once cry once I guess

mccustomize

Explorer
I am deciding between a Hobart mvp 210, Lincoln power mig dual 180 and Miller 211. The welder from work did not work out.
I want something I can run at 120v the 240 once I get it wired. Buy once cry once I guess

All three of those options are great, you will honestly never outgrow those machines unless you start manufacturing parts, but as a hobbyist any one of those machines will d everything you need and then some.

GFA

Adventurer
I've been welding around 20yrs or so and have had my Hobart 210 for about 15 of those. It has been an excellent machine with not 1 issue. I really don't weld all that often these days, just as a typical hobbyist would but when I do it's usually a larger project. I have in the past done large scale jobs using it, the local amphitheater has been using custom designed carts built by me and my Hobart to set up the stage for concerts for close to 15 yrs now. Basically, knowing what I know now I wouldn't spend more for another brand. What I would spend more on though is the cut off saw. Forget the crappy 14" saw with abrasive wheels and go straight to a dry cut saw like the makita 12" one. It cuts without dust, the joints are cool to the touch and burr free. The last trailer frames I built ended up perfectly square on the first try simply because every piece was able to be cut exactly the same length within about 1/32nd of an inch. You can even trim a 1/16" off if needed, something that's not possible with a typical abrasive chop saw. It's about $400 but worth every penny.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I have been eyeballing dry cut saws but am undecided if going with a horizontal band saw is a better route. Hard for me to wrap my mind around a high speed metal cutting chop saw for some reason.

GFA

Adventurer
Have the model number of the saw? I do need buy one also

Makita LC1230 12-Inch Metal Cutting Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YOLV/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uwcqwbDWRKWF6

I have been eyeballing dry cut saws but am undecided if going with a horizontal band saw is a better route. Hard for me to wrap my mind around a high speed metal cutting chop saw for some reason.

I sold my bandsaw... Could never get it to cut a perfect 90° and was much much slower. The dry saw cuts 2x2x 1/8" in about 5-6 seconds.

97kurt

Adventurer
The rigid dry cut saw that HD sells. Avoid it. It does the job and I have used mine a ton, but the angle selection is clunky and far from accurate. Also the dewalt 12" cutting discs seem to cut the quickest from my experience.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
why can't you use a miter saw. I have used that for aluminum before and just for fun I tried some steel it cut right though it. is it because the dedicated saw is heavier duty? just curious. o I will say this the miter saw makes real nice cuts. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman