Lexus LX470 Rear Cabin Conversion...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
John, don't forget to add the Hundy to your signature.
Happy trails. I look forward to meeting you at some point.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
kjp1969 said:
Mike, is the sink functional enough? I'm picturing trying to wash dishes in there, but it looks small and hard to get to.
I had one built into my slide on camper with its own faucet ,and after a few trips I found it more practical to carry a small plastic tub and fill it from a jerry can with a tap fitted to it.

The conversion comes with a foldable Kelty Camp Sink, which you fill from the sink and then take to the tailgate to do the dishes, etc. You use the sink itself mostly for drinking water, teeth brushing, face washing, etc. while you are in the camper.

I wouldn't have posted this except it's a good way to say "John, there's a foldable Kelty Camp Sink in the rear drawer if you haven't found it yet." ;)

southpier

Expedition Leader
It works about like you'd think it'd work. The sink is intentionally small and not very deep and the positioning, while designed to be optimal if you are inside the truck, wasn't made for washing up from a big cookout. No problem, though, cleaning up your own tableware and pots when solo camping. which is the conversion's main purpose.

The way to handle any bigger job, or when the weather is good, is to use the faucet to fill a fold-up camping sink that can be used on the tailgate. The conversion was specifically designed to be weathertight when you can't/don't want to go outside the truck, as is the case many times of the year given our weather. But if it's pleasant outside the truck, you drop the tailgate amd eat/work/clean up off of it.

so you would lie down and do cleanup in a sink with a half inch drain? it probably does work about like I think it would.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
so you would lie down and do cleanup in a sink with a half inch drain? it probably does work about like I think it would.
Well, you could, but when you're awake--pretty much a given when you're cleaning up--the sleeping platform probably isn't extended and it's more a matter of sitting on the folded seat back. But as mentioned above, the sink is mostly for drinking water, teeth brushing, and so on when the weather keeps you from going outside, which is common here.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I figured I would revive an old thread. This cargo / camper system is now sitting in my garage waiting to be installed in my 100. All of the plumbing and electronics have been removed and I need to decide how much of it is going to go back in. I also need to figure out exactly what I want to do about the fridge, since mine is about 3" too long for the cut-out. I know a lot of you were as interesting in this build as I was, so I figured I would keep you guys posted on the changes. Here is how she sits at the moment:

20141101_123601_zpsw2nx67au.jpg

I leave this week to go elk hunting, so that should give me time to noodle the changes. I need a solid mount for the fridge and a plan for the cut-out. I also need to decide how much "camper" I want to put back into it. Other considerations: I have a 20lb CO2 tank that gets shared between my 100 and my 40, so I need a set up for that. I also have a Malamute that hangs out in the back, so I think some sort of removable load barrier is in order. If you guys have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

CreeperSleeper

The system actually ended up back in Mike's hands. Since he no longer has a 100, he yanked the plumbing, electronics, drawer slides, etc, and was going to scrape the rest. As luck may have it, I was able to save it before it's demise. I'm so thankful because even with modifying it, Mike saved me countless hours. (Thanks again, Mike!)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Here is how she sits at the moment:

20141101_123601_zpsw2nx67au.jpg

Wow, compared to how you got it,

attachment.php

it looks a lot better already. ;)

Other considerations: I have a 20lb CO2 tank that gets shared between my 100 and my 40, so I need a set up for that.

I don't know if the diameter of your 20# tank would fit, but I considered cutting a precisely-sized big round hole in the streetside wing (about where the 'oddments bin" metal tray is) and letting my 10# Power Tank sit down through it. The tank will hit the wheel well about half way down (put a little cushioned support under it) but that's plenty for it to be secure. As I say, though, your tank diameter may be bigger than the space available.

zimm

Expedition Leader
id put the whole thing back in. i never saw that, but minus the sinks, thats basically how i adapted my AO drawers by pulling the rear 60 seat.

CreeperSleeper

I don't know if the diameter of your 20# tank would fit, but I considered cutting a precisely-sized big round hole in the streetside wing (about where the 'oddments bin" metal tray is) and letting my 10# Power Tank sit down through it. The tank will hit the wheel well about half way down (put a little cushioned support under it) but that's plenty for it to be secure. As I say, though, your tank diameter may be bigger than the space available.

Yeah, I need to measure it out and see. With all my hunting preparations, I haven't had time to measure anything yet. I am willing to bet that the tank will fit on the street side (which I would prefer) or possibly where the sink is.

My biggest worry (concern? issue?) is the fridge. I'm thinking of seeing if I can find a heavy duty bin to fit the recessed fridge spot and then mount my fridge over the access door. I could then use the long area under them (beside the fridge) for my Hi-Lift, shovel, pawlowski, ect. I don't think it is the best use of space for that area, though...

CreeperSleeper

Not as glad as me!

So I had to move everything out of the middle of my garage (I really wish I had more room), so I took the chance to set my CO2 tank on the curbside wing. It will fit with some trimming, however, I don't know if I could get it in and out with the curve of the truck sides. I guess I won't know for sure until it is in the truck.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Fascinating build. I have a 60 and have not been able to 'see' what I want to do until now. I have a similar solo travel philosophy and do travel in winter, so
keeping it all inside is important. Very well done, thanks for the detail and clear pics and detail.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Fascinating build. I have a 60 and have not been able to 'see' what I want to do until now. I have a similar solo travel philosophy and do travel in winter, so
keeping it all inside is important. Very well done, thanks for the detail and clear pics and detail.
Thanks for the compliments. The setup worked very well, FWIW. It was very cool to drive as long as I wanted, and when I was ready, just pull over wherever I wanted and I was good for the night.

Even more comfort and convenience would come with removal of one or both sides of the rear seats, but I needed to retain the ability to carry four adults from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online