LG Chem RESU lithium ion batteries - incredible!

adam88

Explorer
Since the battery management system is built into the battery, you only need a 12 volt to 48 volt converter. No special charge is required.
Here is one particular converter that will supply 25 amps. I would recommend a good alternator as this converter draws around 100 amps 12 volts. They are not cheap, but if you are considering these batteries cheap is already out the window.
http://www.secamerica.com/products/12v-48v-high-power-dc-dc-converter-6948/
http://www.chargingchargers.com/sec-america-converters/model-6948.html

Thanks. Any idea what the efficiency is on those? I assume it is better than an inverter.

Unfortunately it seems more difficult to find step-down converters (48v to 12v) that have a reasonable wattage. Any idea of a manufacturer who makes a decent watt 48v to 12v?

Cheers!

john61ct

Adventurer
Conversion efficiencies will vary greatly depending on input voltage and current levels.

Those quoted in the specs will be the ones that look good for marketing purposes.

You will get better quantity and quality information from forums focused on electric propulsion, which is usually the reason to go above 24V.

The Artisan

Adventurer
There is a guy that is doing a GB on LG 18650s. If he buys 20k they are $1 each. He sold out on first GB. I told him I wanted 2k. My buddy figured 280 batteries give me 48v/60amps.
That would give me right around 7 batteries 48v/60amps. Spot welders can be found for under $200. Make nice boxes out of 1/4" phenolic with lid for each pack. I am waiting to hear back and see where he is with the GP status.
Kevin

If I was using a battery like the RESU I would not think of using a down converter. The 48 volt AC inverters are fairly efficient more so than 12 volt ones. The closer the DC input voltage of an inverter is to the desired AC output voltage the better the efficiency.

If your concerned about the 12 volt powered devices that you currently have I would just run a 12 volt linear power supply off the inverter. Simple power supply the downside is they are heavy and take up more space than a switching power supply.

john61ct

Adventurer
Energy stored as DC @48V.

Invert to mains AC, in order to then convert back to 12V DC.

Maybe that sounds sane to some, not to me.

There are few necessary devices that require any inverter at all, I stick to DC everything much as possible.

Energy stored as DC @48V.

Invert to mains AC, in order to then convert back to 12V DC.

Maybe that sounds sane to some, not to me.

There are few necessary devices that require any inverter at all, I stick to DC everything much as possible.

Yes I did make that statement. Is it sane? NO it is not but he mentioned he wanted to step the 48vdc down to 12 vdc. If it was mine I would do whatever I could to change the 12vdc devices to use either 48vdc or use an inverter.

john61ct

Adventurer
But I see no advantage when a simple buck converter, say Victron Orion-Tr 48V to 12V, does the job for much less, and more efficiently.

48V appliances are rare and pricey.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I disagree. I don't think it's insane at all. Inverter gens go AC->DC->AC and people swoon over those gens' "efficiency". When the truth is, they aren't efficient.

So it's a matter of perceptions vs. reality. Perceptions wins.

Efficiency is a Holy Grail. To me it makes sense to chase down that last percentage point of efficiency for a fixed base operation like a house or utility grade solar installation.

But a vehicle? Puh-leeze. Doesn't much matter. There ain't nuthin' efficient about the solar, alternator, generator or anything else about a vehicle/boat/RV electrical system to begin with. How many hours the truck gets driven is more important.

And look at what we're talking about here - storage of electricity anywhere from 3,300 watt*hours up to 20kwh.

A few wasted watts here and there isn't important. What IS important is trying to fill up that electrical black hole.

Solar? 1kw of solar vs. 20kw of battery? Do the math. And that's assuming the truck has enough room to install a solar array *capable* of producing 1kw when hot. Prolly need 1.3kw or more of PV modules installed. MORE if they don't tilt & track.

25a 12v-48v converter? 20,000w ÷ 48v = >400a. 16 hours drive time. At least. 16 hours non-stop 100a load on a 12v alternator? Good luck with that.

Generator? Say a 3kva genset. Supplies maybe 30a @ 120v. 300a @ 12v. 75a @ 48v. 75a x 48v = 3,600w. 20,000 ÷ 3,600 = 5.5 hours.

So okay, we can forget solar. Can pretty much forget the alternator. We're going to need a 3kva generator (minimum).

Gotta run a 3,000w generator - at full load - for over 5 hours to recharge.

So why worry about AC-DC-AC conversion efficiency? It's a complete non-issue.

adam88

Explorer
I disagree. I don't think it's insane at all. Inverter gens go AC->DC->AC and people swoon over those gens' "efficiency". When the truth is, they aren't efficient.

So it's a matter of perceptions vs. reality. Perceptions wins.

Efficiency is a Holy Grail. To me it makes sense to chase down that last percentage point of efficiency for a fixed base operation like a house or utility grade solar installation.

But a vehicle? Puh-leeze. Doesn't much matter. There ain't nuthin' efficient about the solar, alternator, generator or anything else about a vehicle/boat/RV electrical system to begin with. How many hours the truck gets driven is more important.

And look at what we're talking about here - storage of electricity anywhere from 3,300 watt*hours up to 20kwh.

A few wasted watts here and there isn't important. What IS important is trying to fill up that electrical black hole.

Solar? 1kw of solar vs. 20kw of battery? Do the math. And that's assuming the truck has enough room to install a solar array *capable* of producing 1kw when hot. Prolly need 1.3kw or more of PV modules installed. MORE if they don't tilt & track.

25a 12v-48v converter? 20,000w ÷ 48v = >400a. 16 hours drive time. At least. 16 hours non-stop 100a load on a 12v alternator? Good luck with that.

Generator? Say a 3kva genset. Supplies maybe 30a @ 120v. 300a @ 12v. 75a @ 48v. 75a x 48v = 3,600w. 20,000 ÷ 3,600 = 5.5 hours.

So okay, we can forget solar. Can pretty much forget the alternator. We're going to need a 3kva generator (minimum).

Gotta run a 3,000w generator - at full load - for over 5 hours to recharge.

So why worry about AC-DC-AC conversion efficiency? It's a complete non-issue.

Hi dwh. I think you're spot on. However... none of it matters because the future is not solar, generators, alternators or anything else. The future is simply LOTS of battery power and charging it from what will eventually be a supercharger on every single street corner of the entire country.
Just look at how dense batteries have gotten. The LG Chem RESU one's above have a useable capacity of 8.8kWh and weigh 165#. That works out to 53 watts per pound. Technology is going to rapidly increase however, and it is very possible that 10 years from now, that density will be doubled. So let's just assume for fun sakes that they do double it, and 10 years from now, you've got 103 watts per pound.
Assume 1000# of batteries in a expedition camper. That may sound like a lot, HOWEVER, that camper no longer has any of the following. No more: Solar panels, generator, AGM batteries, propane tanks (full), or heavy propane appliances (replaced with lighter electric). This would easily save a lot of weight. It's not uncommon for some campers out there, like earthroamer, to have (4) 255ah AGM batteries, which weigh 700# alone.
Now those 1000# of batteries would put out 106kWh of power. And that power bank could be charged in about 45 minutes using a supercharger to 80%, or a bit longer to 100% (the Tesla superchargers put out 120kW).
A 12,000 BTU air conditioner running 24/7 would only use about 12kW a day of power. Even with other electrical loads, the above camper could stay off grid for almost a week.
Not to mention, solar panel technology WILL improve and one could still add solar panels to their rig if they wanted (probably makes sense).
Even if you cut the weight in half, at only 500# of batteries, you still have 53kWh.
Basically, in summary, the days of generators, lead acid batteries and propane in RV's are numbered (and potentially solar panels if their efficiency cant keep up). In 20 years, finding a propane RV stove will be as difficult as it is to find a VCR today. Mark my words.
But the future is basically here now. Even with today's densities, it is still possible to hit 53kWh with 1000# of batteries.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Hrmm. Well...

A) A week might not be enough for RTW overlanders.

B) Good luck finding that supercharger in the African or Aussie outback. And even if you did, how long would the line be?

C) In twenty years they might only allow AI autopilot vehicles, and the days of going off-AI-approved-road will be over. The future brings marvels. It also brings the steady encroachment of regulations, and the steady erosion of freedoms.

As long as there are those who take the road less traveled by, there will be a need to carry along some way to recharge on the spot.

adam88

Explorer
Hrmm. Well...

A) A week might not be enough for RTW overlanders.
- Then those people can bring generators. That's prob 0.001% of the population
B) Good luck finding that supercharger in the African or Aussie outback. And even if you did, how long would the line be?
- Superchargers will be everywhere gas stations are in 10 or 15 years. Plus more. Literally, tiny corner stores will have superchargers installed. Picture ATM's... you know how sometimes you will be in the middle of no where, at some crazy small store, yet... they still have an ATM that dispenses cash? Everywhere there is an ATM will be a charging station
C) In twenty years they might only allow AI autopilot vehicles, and the days of going off-AI-approved-road will be over. The future brings marvels. It also brings the steady encroachment of regulations, and the steady erosion of freedoms.
AI approved only roads will be AI approved only for a reason. It would be insanity to drive manually on a road with other AI vehicles. If all vehicles on a road are AI, on, for instance, a straight road of highway, then accident rates would theoretically be 0%. I'm fine with that.

As long as there are those who take the road less traveled by, there will be a need to carry along some way to recharge on the spot.
Maybe. But the future holds lots of promise. Maybe the way to recharge on the spot will be something totally innovative. Super excited for the future!!

Also want to add... putting aside everything else, electricity is just so much safer and better than anything else. Whether it is electrical heat, induction stove, an electric hot water heater, or an engine. Electricity is just amazing. I've driven a Tesla and once you drive one it's hard to imagine the future being anything else. There's so many reasons for electricity to make sense in overland vehicles. For instance, altitude. Plan to go up that high mountain? Propane appliances give out at certain altitudes and so forth.

Xterabl

Adventurer
"then accident rates would theoretically be 0%. I'm fine with that"
Good to know people still have a sense of humor, even the younger generations...!
"theoretically 0%"...that's pretty funny.

Kind of reminds me of this guy in China couple years ago boasting to me about his area's new high-speed rail system..."We had an accident that killed maybe 20 people. But we also completed it faster than any other high speed rail in the world. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty good...and I'm fine with that."

Kerensky97

Xterra101
A lot of cool talk about the future and I agree it's looking bright.
But I'm interested in the now. And these batteries are super cool but a bit big for my Expedition setup. I need to keep a fridge running and charge camera phone batteries overnight; not recharge an electric golf cart or my Tesla.

What I'd like to see is one of these put on a Travel Trailer (base camp), optimized to work with about 500-700 watts of Solar panels or occasional generator use on cloudy days, that can run the A/C a couple hours a day. Most campers have 12V appliances now which is why I'm thinking the A/C is the main challenge the battery would face (and electric water/air heating?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger