Liberty info

jeepboyd

Observer
FlyingWen said:
Thanks so much for the input. I like my X. It is great off-road, but has only seen the trail twice. We also take FlyingWil's Taco.

The X doesn't really have a lot of pick up and if I am going up a gradual or steep hill... Forget about it! I might as well get out and jog.

I am hoping to test drive some today.
how about a new body style Xterra the 4.0 in it is sweet and it can be had with a selectable rear locker just a thought

FlyingWen

Explorer
grahamfitter said:
Keeping the Xterra is probably the cheapest option unless you can sell it for top dollar to somebody who hasn't just read your complaints about how slow, inefficient and small it is!!!
Graham
Graham, You're killing me!
My X isn't "slow" it is just doesn't have the pick up that I am used to. My previous car was an Eclipse (sporty little thing!). I have full front to back skid plates which adds some weight as well.
I would like a little more foot room... mostly b/c I have been wearing a walking cast on my foot for the last 2 years. A Car... gasp!

maximumrob said:
My wife is HARD on her vehicles, with jackrabbit starts, late braking, taking turns too fast, etc, and every mile has been spent speeding around the suburbs. I expect to get at least another 30k miles out of it.

Has anybody mentioned how small it is yet?
I take corners fast as well. So far, I haven't been able to get the X on 2 wheel yet.... I have, however, seen the baby seat quit tilted after a turn.

Thanks for all the input guys!

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Wendy,

I seriously looked at the Liberty when I was looking to move up to something bigger from my Suzuki Vitara. While I really liked many things about the Liberty, it was only a couple of inches all the way around bigger than the Suzuki. I don't think you'd find it much easier to get in and out of than the X.

If the size of the LIberty is OK with you, you may seriously want to look at the previous generation Suzuki Grand Vitara or XL-7. Both can be modified a reasonable amount to make them very capable offroad, although the XL7 is limited because of the long wheelbase, and resale on them is terrible so you can get a lot of vehicle for not much money.

Or, as was previously stated, if you really aren't going to go offroad with it, why not a nice Jetta or Passat wagon? The diesel's get outrageously good mileage.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
SunDvl said:
Our Liberty has been a good vehicle. However it is extremely tight on space. They make decent offroad vehicles but the front diff housing cracks under extreme load (typically when going from no traction to sudden traction). There is a website dedictated to Libertys - http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/

Oh, and gas milage sucks!

I'll second the lostkjs folks. Great people over there!

I think you want a forest green 4runner deep down! :shakin:

I like the liberty. I think its size is cool. Lots of places you could get into with it. :wings: But of course you won't be using it off road, but what if!

Get a cool subaru wagon!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
jeffryscott said:
Or, as was previously stated, if you really aren't going to go offroad with it, why not a nice Jetta or Passat wagon? The diesel's get outrageously good mileage.

The X was intended as FlyingWen's learning platform, with the protection and recovery it was the perfect fit... Plus she wanted an X... So as time went on we are exploring the option of moving on. We want another vehicle that come to my rescue should it need to do some pounding off the pavement to save my rear end, I seem to be a magnet to ground holes!

As rumors are flying of the $4+ gas prices at the end of summer we started to think of what we were going to do to prepare for the price hike, and selling the X came up. About a day or two later, we spotted a lifted KJ that caught both our eye's and the brainstorming began, and I guess she started this thread.

We would like to build it (what ever it might be) up a bit... After market bumper(s), protection, lift and such to demonstrate and test other products for Sierra Expeditions. No one ever said that a Element or similar was out of the picture, but the KJ just has a bit of cool factor.

The hard part for me is to guide her and not make the decision or sway her too far one way or another, it is HER vehicle. I am sure she has put up with enough with the Taco, now its time to reverse the roles.

I would honestly like to grab a Samurai and swap in a VW diesel, and toy axles... now that would be some fun! But, realistically I just don't have the time. If I had the time we would mid frame off restoration on an early Bronco for FlyingWen! But the next build up will probably be modifying a PowerWheel Jeep for FlyingBaby....

Ok, now back to work I go!

805gregg

Adventurer
I've got an '06 Liberty CRD 4X4 Limited, I love this car. I got it to drive instead of my 1 ton Dodge. It gets between 22 and 28 mpg city,hwy. I've been to Baja in cars 4X4 trucks, trucks with campers and motorhomes, this last summer my wife and I spent 2 weeks all around baja in the KJ, it was the best trip yet, easy to drive, held all our camp gear, plus inflatable kayak, surfboard, snorkling gear, tent, cots etc. Find a diesel KJ you'll love it.

CRD4Liberty

If you need a rig that can tow or carry something, get the CRD. I have an '05 Sport and just love the rig. Leaves many trucks in the dust under a good sized load and the mileage is great even in the real nasty stuff.
Tried the other cute utes, if you really need to haul or carry something at least stay with the size rig you have, the others are cars with a front diff, ride nice no load, terrible loaded or pulling something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle