Life in a pop-up for 3+ people

coguzzi

Adventurer
I guess its cause of the money. They want people paying 26k for a flatbed unit. Not as much money in shells. Too bad. Seems like FWC has become a lot mote commercial over the years but thats okay. Its a business after all. I guess ATC fills the small business vibe part of it

my understanding is, no FWC flat bed shells because the cabinetry offers structure to the entire unit, no cabinetery = to much flex to the unit from an engineering stand point. they have run stress test. also the reason wht the underbed sorage did not go all the way to the front in the past. now they do offer full length underbed, but it incorporates a very sturdy aluminum trellis construction

doctorit

Adventurer
Does it have to be an FWC?

We're a family of 3 and fit quite nicely into our Northstar TC650. We have the XB, with the extra foldout bunk, so in warmer weather, we don't even have to convert the dinette table (which isn't that hard anyway). But, even in cold weather without the XB opened up, we can all crawl up/down/in/out without any trouble. We're always amazed at how roomy it feels with just 6.5' of floor space!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Consider a Northstar popup. My friend just scored a 1999 Northstar 8' shortbed 800 which had been stored indoors for $3500. Granted that's unusual but gee whiz,they're out there at a fraction of the cost. Mine's 15 yrs old now and a veteran of 33 Baja trips. The water pump and carbon dioxide detector have been replaced and sail repair material has repaired the dozen pinhole leaks. A bit heavier but lots of dinero left over for suspension. Sizes to fit all trucks and occupants.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
"Our 10-night trip...will reveal a lot of truths"

True this. I wish every family or group planning an "expedition" could take a 10 night training run.

Yeah I feel the same - you can fake it for a week to ten days but after that it gets real and you have to live on the road with what you brought. When the food and clean clothes run out reality hits. :)

fireball

Explorer
We just got a used Hawk and spent 3 nights camping in it on the way home, so my total experience has only been those 3 nights, therefor take this with a grain of salt.

The Hawk side dinette works great for the 4 of us plus a dog. My wife, my 8 month old son and myself slept up top. They say it's a queen size bed when extended but honestly it felt bigger. My 13 year old step daughter was perfectly content sleeping on the folded down side dinette. We could remove the front cabinet and put a mattress pad to give her even more width and space if needed. Our 95# husky slept on the floor. It is snug but very comfortable. Not much room to move around a ton, but completely functional for sleeping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12