Life span of tyres

fg4oz

Adventurer
Hi guys. Just thought I'd give you the heads up with our tyres. We followed ATW advice (Toyo m608z on 19.5" rims) when doing the SRW conversion and wasn't too sure what to expect with tyre life. I had bfg muds on previous 4wds and managed to get 90,000km out of them.
I was told I'd probably only get 35000km out of these ones on the canter, but I just clocked over 62,000km and am really happy with how they went. It's now time to change them.
Most days the truck is loaded up around 5 to 5.5t gvm. Majority of use has been on highway, some sand, mud, and rocky terrain.

Not that I have driven a canter with other tyres on SRW, but thought I'd put it out there that I am happy with the performance of these tyres.

How have you guys found the performance and lifespan of whatever you are running?

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
We have approx 35000 Kim's on our Toyo 19.5 M608z I would guess that we get about 70000 Kim's out of them but we run around at about 4500 kgs. In that time we have done Cape York , Birdsville, a few beach runs, a fair bit of dirt road and highway too.

gait

Explorer
estimate about 65,000 also - I forgot to do my usual rigorous recording,

perhaps a bit less with the parabolics as the blocky tread feathers.

Goldanfish

Observer
The Toyo 19.5 seem to be around $508 each here in Victoria, so I'm saving me penny's for the next set. They seem to be wearing well so far.
John

PKDreamers

Adventurer
The Toyo 19.5 seem to be around $508 each here in Victoria, so I'm saving me penny's for the next set. They seem to be wearing well so far.
John

Wow John that seams like a pretty good price.
Not that I have been getting quotes on tyres but I have heard in Qld approx $600 to $800 price range.

By the way if anyone has a second hand 19.5 tyre they want to sell with or without rim (5 stud)

Goldanfish

Observer
G'day Pete,
That's from Trye power, here don't know if you have them in Brissy, that price was dec.2013.
John

Mr Rehab

Traveller
I've just replaced the Toyo 608's on our Isuzu NPS at 83,000km - still reasonable tread depth and I'm sure we could have gone for another 10,000km on good surfaces. The fronts wear down the inside tread block, sometimes with pronounced heel-toe wear so this limited their life. I'm surprised you aren't getter better mileage? Our truck usually weighing in at 57 to 5800kg and we've done a lot of poor road travel.

Mr Rehab

Traveller
And somewhat related to the OP - There's been some discussion on this site about the virtues or otherwise of the 19.5 vs the 17 inch tyre options.

We travelled 35,000km Malaysia to Europe last year, mostly in company with a couple of other trucks.

Between the 4 trucks, 2 were using the Toyo 19.5 and 2 were using the 17in Hankook MT (37 x10.5 I think?). The various combos were:
Isuzu NPS/ATW scout camper - 5800kg - Toyo 608
Mitsubishi CanterFG84/slide on camper - 6400kg - Toyo 608
Isuzu NPS/SLR camper - 6350kg - Hankook MT
Mitsubishi Canter FG84/Earthcruiser - 6100kg - Hankook MT

None of the trucks suffered any tyre failures or punctures and I'd say the owners were all happy with their choices. The 17in Hankook definitely provided a softer ride with the taller and softer sidewall, but also more tyre noise and vibration.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Personal choice is always subjective.
The comparisons you give with these four trucks is probably a much better assessment of tyres, given that they are fairly similar vehicles and were travelling similar terrain.
Thanks for that...

Goldanfish

Observer
That's a good comparison, with similar type trucks and around the same weight and same trip. Were you all from OZ or just happen to meet over there.

fg4oz

Adventurer
Thanks for that. Interesting how far you have gone. Most of my work is backing the truck and excavator up driveways, maybe that's wearing them down slightly quicker? Still impressed though.

I've just replaced the Toyo 608's on our Isuzu NPS at 83,000km - still reasonable tread depth and I'm sure we could have gone for another 10,000km on good surfaces. The fronts wear down the inside tread block, sometimes with pronounced heel-toe wear so this limited their life. I'm surprised you aren't getter better mileage? Our truck usually weighing in at 57 to 5800kg and we've done a lot of poor road travel.

Mr Rehab

Traveller
"That's a good comparison, with similar type trucks and around the same weight and same trip. Were you all from OZ or just happen to meet over there."

We were all from Oz, and most from around Brisbane. Some friends of friends, others we met when researching the trip and formed a group to plan and travel portions together. We actually had 4 couples from Brisbane (one with Landrover 110) and 1 couple from Darwin.

Yes, I imagine if you were setting up a 'real life' tyre test you'd do just what we did. I wondered how our friends would go with the 17in Hankook tyres under their 6300+ kg truck but all the tyres seemed to cope well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman