Lift Opinions for 2nd Gen Tacoma

skates04

Adventurer
I apologize if this has been asked a lot....

What do you think the best expo lift setup is for the money??

Icon? Bilstein, OME?? I am thinking of going to the 255 (33 inch) tire. Mostly looking to do an expo setup but needs to do mild rock crawling in Moab/Colorado. So what are your opinions? I am also considering the stock suspension and just going up to a 265/75/16.

The Tacoma is a 2014 TRD Off Road, Double Cab/Short Bed.

Thanks!

justrom

Adventurer
I put a full OME package under my 2013 DCLB. It has served me well both on and off road in southern CA. Most of my use is washboard / rocky forest service roads, no extreme rock crawling or high speed desert racing. I'm running 32" (235/85) tires.

06TXTaco

I just got my 2012 upgrade to Icon's with Dakar springs. I was going to run the 255/85's but couldn't bring myself go with a M/T with the amount of time the truck spends on the highway. I'm running the Copper AT3 in 265/75 and the rig preformed great on the trials. The tires are not ideal for mud, but otherwise has is a great balance of polite road manners with decisive off road traction. I'm not planning on doing a lot of rock crawling so I can't speak to that, but the setup handles weight well and is a pleasure to drive.

DaVikes

Adventurer
Where do you live in CO? I'm in Denver. You could drive mine if you want. I've got OME shocks and springs up front, and OME shocks with All Pro standard springs in the rear. 33" Duratracs. Just FYI, the setup handles weight fine, but it needs 100 plus pounds in the back, or the ride around town is pretty rough. The ride on the highway is decent, even unloaded, and I think it probably feels a lot more secure on the highway than the stock suspension. If I were buying tires today I would go with Cooper ST Maxx pizza cutters.

skates04

Adventurer
Where do you live in CO? I'm in Denver. You could drive mine if you want. I've got OME shocks and springs up front, and OME shocks with All Pro standard springs in the rear. 33" Duratracs. Just FYI, the setup handles weight fine, but it needs 100 plus pounds in the back, or the ride around town is pretty rough. The ride on the highway is decent, even unloaded, and I think it probably feels a lot more secure on the highway than the stock suspension. If I were buying tires today I would go with Cooper ST Maxx pizza cutters.

I am on the Western Slope by Glenwood Springs. I will definitely hit you up next time I am in Denver... I ran the ST-Maxx on my old Diesel Liberty, I will more than likely go with them again in the 255/85/16, awesome tire!

Do you have stock gearing? How is it on I-70 going into the mountains?

Thanks!

Lucas

DaVikes

Adventurer
No, I've got 4.56 gearing. Between the tires and the gearing, the result is about 10% shorter overall gearing vs. stock. So I-70 isn't bad, but the 4.0 does leave you wanting a little more at higher altitude. Have you ever been able to directly compare the ST-Maxx to Duratracs? I like the Duratracs, but I'm wondering if the ST-Maxx could be as good off-road while being quieter on road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears