Lift Shackle = Bad idea?

I was talking with Dirk at DPG about OME leaf springs for my XJ and when I told him that I had 2" lift shackles, he told me that lift shackles cause leaf springs to wear prematurely and are generally bad for leaf spring performance (I don't remember his exact words, but this should be close)

I had never heard this before, so I though I'd ask the "experts" here if anyone had heard this and could explain the theory behind the statement. I would have asked Dirk, but I decided to move straight to the unbiased opinons here at ExPo.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Unsure

I used lift shackles for 12 of the 13 years I owned my XJ. I did have one of my Rustys spring packs sag prematurly. Now I had only one of two do it and I don't know why. I have heard that if the springs are inverted during offroad situations that that leads to premature failure. Maybe shackles allow the springs to invert sooner. Just my 0.02

Kohburn

Adventurer
my guess would be that he is refering to overtravel of the spring unless the bumpstop is extended with the shackle.

When we spoke about it, he didn't mention overtravel or bump stops. He said specifically that shackles force the front of the spring to "do all the work". He suggested running either a stock size shackle (not really an option in my opinion due to frame interference) with a proper lift spring height (4.5" in my case).

After speaking with him about the frame interference concern, he suggested a 1" lift shackle and a 3.5" OME spring pack. The idea here being to use the smallest shackle possible with the best possible spring pack for the desired lift height. Interestingly he never recommended bump stops...perhaps he assumed I already had them since my vehicle is currently lifted?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Dirk is right about the shackle. The best size is the one JKS sells and thats the best quality. Have Dirk send you at least 1 full lenth leaf to add to that spring pack. Two is better unless you wheel a light rig with nothing in it.

Personally I'd never buy anything but Deaver coils and springs again. All the rest are not worth it. The Spring rate on the front coils are just way too low on anything else. You will be bobbing and diving on every rock in Colorado with a regular lift. Get the Jeepspeed coils and cut them to match your rear lift.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Maybe I'm dense, I don't know, because I don't get it.
Land Rover 109 1 Tons had extended shackles from the factory and I've never heard people complaining about early spring failure. Or at least not any sooner than normal 109's.

Patman

Explorer
Throwing long shackles 2+" on a rig without adressing other issues is normally a bad idea.

However a properly engineered leafspring setup with a long shackle is common, if not ideal for many setups.

Its when the leaf is allowed to compress passed flat and or the shackle invert that you run into problems.
Not to mention pinion angle, etc.

It is very common to see 12-14" shackles on leaf sprung desert race rigs.

Proper bumpstop placement and shackle limiting will keep your springs alive for a long time. Just tossing a set of 3" shackles on and hitting the trail is a bad idea.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I would go with a 1" shackle and then a proper leaf. ie: for 4.5'' get a 1'' shackle and 3.5'' lift leaf.

The stock shackle will ride AWFUL (ask me how I know) with a lift spring. The extended shackle allows more travel. I also second the the failure will come if you invert the leaf by not having proper bumpstops.

ps: If you get deaver leaves, they'll re-bend the leaf packs anytime for a small fee and then they're brand new again!

jh504

Explorer
I dont have a clue but I have never wanted to go higher than a 1" lift shackle. That equals a 2" longer shackle. A 2" lift shackle would equal a 4" longer shackle which has always seemed really big to me. I worry more about side to side instability and inversion with a shackle that length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78