Lift struts for trailer lid

rain76king

Adventurer
I know it's been covered but what do you guys use? I did go the cheap route and went ply on my m416 with a cartoptent and thats all. Don't figure it weighs much at all? What to use as hardware, And what do these things run for?

Thanks

Last edited:

syke

Adventurer
I started a thread about that very thing a month or so ago. It took me two tries to get the lifting weight correct and $8 in freight. Struts were $30 a piece. It works great now. Allegis Corp is where I bought the items form.

You can buy the brackets, clips, etc along with the strut. Everything you will need to mount it up.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Have 2 never used lift struts I bought from Allegis, I can't recall the lift poundage but I wound up getting highest lift pound struts
since I added heavy rack and some other junk to my trailer.
pm me if you interested, I 'll work up a deal for ya, didn't really wanted to sell otherwise I'd post it in the equipment for sale section.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Copy machines have them and they are strong on the big ones. Maybe you could go to the junk pile of your local copier dealer and see what they have as scrap. I've used to use them on inboard boat engine covers and the were perfect. Grab the brackets while your at it. Another source is car hoods and lift gates from a junk yard. I'm just a cheap bastard but you can look at is as recycling if you want.

Ca. Bowhunter

Adventurer
McMasterCarr.com is where I found mine and what is great about McCarr is they deliver twice a day to my work so order in the morning and have it before I leave for home.

Randy & Rhonda
DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Another source is car hoods and lift gates from a junk yard. I'm just a cheap bastard but you can look at is as recycling if you want.
That's where I found mine. Guess you can call me a "cheap bastard too" :victory:

trailer6.JPG

Last edited:

rain76king

Adventurer
What did you snag those out of? I'm cheap as well, last I check theres not many 140-180 pound hoods?

Izzy I'll shoot ya a pm

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Hatch backs. The Vans and SUVs have heavy rear doors. I think the long ones were off of a Dodge Stealth. It has a long heavy rear lid. I could hardly hold it while removing the last strut (probably should have looked for a prop). The Shorter off a van , IIRC.

The long ones were just about enough, but it is much more secure in a wind with all four. Less pressure on one point too. I like that. Really just about perfect for mine. With all the weight on it I have to lift the lid a foot or so before they hold all the weight. Tent deployed I have to push the lid closed. I am very happy.

troy

Adventurer
What did you snag those out of? I'm cheap as well, last I check theres not many 140-180 pound hoods?

Izzy I'll shoot ya a pm

Try a Jeep cherokee. The rear door has to weight at least a 100 pounds, if not more. There are also a million in the Junkyard. They are also a little longer. Minivans would be another good choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan