Lift

Tim A

Adventurer
I looked at the Old Man Emu application guide for 90-95 4runner and there are no coil springs available from them. I'm assuming it's IFS so I wonder why they don't make any lifts for the front.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
90-95 is still a T-Bar suspension. SO your lift choice is the OME T-Bars and/or BJ Spacers... I run the BJ Spacers and am waiting on my OME T-bars and it rides GREAT...

Cheers

Dave

ADVbound

I looked at the Old Man Emu application guide for 90-95 4runner and there are no coil springs available from them. I'm assuming it's IFS so I wonder why they don't make any lifts for the front.

The place up here that specializes in JDM, surfs and land cruisers, says I can get an OME suspension and it comes with new, stronger, torsion bars, so I assume that is how it's lifted in the front? The problem I have with that is $1000 for the lift and then about $600 for the install, for only 2". If I just go 2" I'll get the cheaper lift posted above, I'm not doing any extreme wheeling.
Oh well, have to think about it...

Last edited:

ADVbound

90-95 is still a T-Bar suspension. SO your lift choice is the OME T-Bars and/or BJ Spacers... I run the BJ Spacers and am waiting on my OME T-bars and it rides GREAT...

Cheers

Dave

4rescue why are you getting the torsion bars and do you have the OME lift in your vehicle now?

Thanks Rylan

BLKNBLU

Explorer
The Toytec lift is just a repackaging of stuff made by other people

The ball joint spacers are made by SDORI
http://sdori.com/pricing.htm

The coils are made by OME

There are better individual prices to be had in other places

The spacers are $119 direct from SDORI or
$99 from 4crawler
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BallJointSpacer.shtml

The coils are available from Wheelers for $157
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9095ome4runner.htm

That said the doubling of shipping and the sometimes PITA of shipping to Canada could make the package deal from Toytec your best bet. You'll just have to check it out. The BJ spacers have a good track record that you can check out if desired on Yotatech (also what is involved with install) OME products speak for themselves.

Also, here is a list of the spring rates for OME replacement coils.
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html
Keep in mind the OME coils all lift the same amount and are only designed to carry heavier loads. A heavier spring rate will not result in more lift, just a stiffer ride. Your best bet is to evaluate how much weight you think you will be carrying (at all times) and get the appropriate spring.

My opinion is the same on the t bars. They don't actually lift anything. If you are putting on a heavy aftermarket bumper and winch, then the heavier spring rate of aftermarket t bars make sense. Otherwise, t bar lift is obtained by cranking them up tighter. Starting with a stiffer spring just makes cranking that much more harsh.

Also, I'm not sure why Toytec advertises 2 inches of lift. SDORI found that 1.5 inches was the largest safe size of spacer that could be utilized. The conventional wisdom is that one can:

Place the spacers and leave the t bar at stock setting and realize 1.5 inches of lift.
Place the spacers and lower the t bars to something between stock and lifted and realize a compromise of lift and slightly softer suspension.
Place the spacers and crank the t bars to realize more lift with a slightly stiffer suspension.

IIRC you can crank the t bars up to 2 inches of front lift with no spacers but the resulting ride kinda sucks depending on who you ask. With the spacers you can get the 2 inches with only a slight crank of the t bar. Clear as mud?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I've got OME shocks and Steerinf stabilizer, and OME Dakar Rear Leaves (I'm in a 1st Gen so you'll have a completely different REAR suspension) and I'm going to use the OME T-Bars because they're thicker then the stock ones - and therefore have a higher spring rate- to support the added weight of the forth-coming front bumper sns winch as well as a dual battery set-up. The OME's are NOT quite as thick as the Sway-a-way wich I have heard mixed reviews, but they are thicker enough over stock and should hold the weight too. From my Experience both with my own 1st Gen Runner and a managery of Toyotas I used in Australia ARB/OME is far and away the best company to go to. BlackNBlu nailed it oo, the added spring rate is NOT designed to add more lift, but more weight capacity... NONE of the OME stuff is designed to go for more then 2.5" MAX lift. Their concept is that the suspension as a whole works together to make the truck handle loads and rough terrain better and that's what you get... I will say my OME leaves flex REAL well, but they're gertainly not a linked-coil over suspension so... You gotta choose, either more load capacity and a stiffer (but not bad persay IMO) ride or soft and cushy with a lowered load capacity...

Cheers

Dave

ADVbound

Hey guys,
thanks for the links and info, very informative for sure. I have concluded that I will go with the OME lift after all, I'll get all the parts and none of the headaches of ordering and trying to piece together a lift. Besides the price isn't much different if at all.
Thanks again and I'll post pics when she's complete, but it won't be for a few months.

Rylan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998