Lifted or Locked?

intothewild

Adventurer
With tax season around the corner, I plan on doing one substantial upgrade to the Jeep. It's a 97 ZJ, I have just a 2.5" BB at the moment on 31s.

I am leaning towards at least a rear locker over more/better lift. Honestly, for how I use the Jeep, I don't often run into circumstances where I need more clearance. More traction however, is always welcome. And also, I really don't plan on going more than 3.5" on the Jeep, so I would only be gaining another inch. But, the suspension would still be upgraded over the factory control arms/track bar etc that I currently have.

Over time, there will be many changes. But, I'm curious how others would prioritize. Rear locker first or ditch the BB for a short arm lift?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Lockers are nice but they can still get you hopelessly stuck so maybe a winch would be a better option.

intothewild

Adventurer
That about sums up my thoughts, and I predict that will be the general consensus here as well. Since I can't afford to do everything at once, I just wanted to be sure there are no conflicting/convincing opinions otherwise.

theksmith

Explorer
a locker for general ability.

a lift only if you are getting into crawling type trails where clearance has been an issue.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Lift. You could get rid of the body lift, and replace the tired suspension parts.

Body lifting a ZJ can be really hard on the Unibody:). 2.5"BB is refering to a "budget boost" and on a ZJ is likely refering to spacers for the coil springs and longer shocks instead of full spring replacment. Or maybe even shock mount extensions in some instances. But I agree with you statement. It seems to me on a 100K miles plus vehicle that the stock suspension parts are quite a bit worn and a budget boost should only be a tempory set up. For me, this seems like a more important item to address first.

FishPOET

Adventurer
What rear end do you have? If you have the 44HD then you are very limited on your locker options. I would not drive in snow or ice with a locked rear end.

intothewild

Adventurer
I will be in snow frequently. Why would you advise to not drive in snow/ice with a locker? I have never had a locked 4x4. (Most of my past auto experience is drag racing).

bob91yj

Resident **************
An engaged locker will "push" the vehicle straight through a turn on slippery surfaces. If you decide on a locker, I'd get a selectable/manual locker, ARB is the way to go IMO. Ever try to make a turn in a dragster with a spooled rear end? Same thing for the most part.

Having said that, I think your $$$ would be better spent on skid plates and some self recovery points/gear. Hi Lift jack and a good recovery strap can get you out of some really bad situations.

Blinkinlights

My old Waggy is locked front and rear and you get up close and personal with your sphincter on an icy road in the winter time. If you want it to be any kind of a daily driver, selectable lockers is the only way to go.

88xj - I installed my rear locker first and it was a real improvement on the trails, but nothing compared to the improvement I got from the front locker. You nailed it there.

intothewild

Adventurer
This is all great info, thanks everyone. You've given me more to ponder. It definitely needs to retain great road worthiness, so I will certainly look into the selectable lockers. I like the idea of doing the front first also. That does make sense.

Armor/skids/rock sliders etc is also on the short list. I don't play on rocks, unless they happen to be in the trail, but I don't go looking for rocks. Not my thing, but armor is definitely needed nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78