Lifts for a Frontier

AlabamaWill

Observer
Which one is the best Fabtech 6in, 4x4 parts rock crawler lift, or PGR lift. Or is there a better one out there? thanks for your answers.

2K54X4

Adventurer
I have the PRG coilovers and uca's in the front giving me ~3" of lift. In the rear I have a custom set of leaf springs (Alcans) and longer shocks. I couldn't be happier. It takes me where I need to go, and the ride is great. The Fabtech and Calmini lifts give more height, but then you are dealing with the differential drop bracket in the front.

I have the Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com) Add A Leaf 3-pk, and the PRG 2" spacers up front.

I am going to go with PRG coilovers and UCA's in the future.

vengeful

Explorer
I've heard nothing but poor reviews of the FabTech lift kit. The AC(4x4parts) is decent. In terms of the best quality lift, the PRG is going to be the best.

mcm4090

Explorer
You can't compare a 6" drop diff. lift to a 3" lift.

How much lift do you want and what do you want to use your truck? Group clearance? Performance?

PRG dose not make the coilovers, so are you talking about a spacers lift?

There is not enough info on the front coil-over shocks that AC sells.

From what I have read SAW and ICON are the best coilovers.

madizell

Explorer
I wouldn't bother with a lift kit that requires a drop bracket, and personally, I would not want to try lifting an IFS truck more than a very few inches. Six inches is a lot of lift, and best left to the straight axle crowd.

Not to mention that if you lift a truck 6 inches you should also increase the track width proportionately. If you don't, you are building a roll over queen. So, if you achieve IFS lift in the 6 inch range with arm modifications instead of diff drop brackets, you will get the increased track width as well, along the lines of a SCORE vehicle. I wouldn't expect to find something like that in a kit for road use.

michaelross

I've heard nothing but poor reviews of the FabTech lift kit. The AC(4x4parts) is decent. In terms of the best quality lift, the PRG is going to be the best.

Well, i installed fabtech before and it was okay. But for my other truck i used a different one.. PGR. The kit is great...I installed on my 4x4 OR package and i'm pretty satisfied with it till now.

Last edited:

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Looks like you've already had some well rounded input. I have to agree with what others have said. There's not typically a need for most people to go with 6 inches of lift to suit off-road function (which is not to say that NO ONE needs it, but very few anyway).
I'm using Radflo coilovers w/PRG UCA's up front, OME leaf packs, and shocks in back, and I'm very pleased with on and off-road handling(with extra weight when hauling grear on trips).
Something that should be considered when you upgrade is, do you have or will you add a heavy front bull bar type bumper w/ winch, which will add quite a bit of weight to the front, and consequently add dive to it on and off road. This will have you seeking a firmer front suspension to compensate.
Anyway, my 2 cents is this: Coilovers are a performance oriented upgrade to sort out the front, and are great but pricey, but may be an overkill for what some people will really put their vehicles through. If you just want to get a little extra clearance you can pretty much get the same amount of clearance as a full coilover kit, from a lot of the coil spacer kits out there...for a lot less money.

AlabamaWill

Observer
I order the "4 WD Advanced Coilover Package" about one month ago, I cant what to get it. Its taking a little longer to get it b/c his supplier of the rear AAL are having a tough time keeping up with orders, so Gregs says. 3in in the Front and 2in in the rear, Greg set me up with a higher spring rate on my front coilover so I wouldnt have the front end sag when I buy a ARB bumper and winch. Oh and FYI the ARB bumper is going for $869 on Rugged Rock offroad's web sit.

gwhipp

Observer
Another lift option would be Old Man Emu. I have the coils and struts in the front. I am saving my money to buy the lift for the back and replace my 2" blocks from PRG.

You would get about 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear.

mcm4090

Explorer
There are a few different companies that makes coilovers for the front like King, ICON, Radflo, and SAW. After do I a lot of research I went with 2.5 ICON coilovers.
In the rear I have Automotive Customizers 3" Add A Leaf 3 pack. They have been great for the past 3 years.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
I finally managed to get Greg via email. I asked him about the shipping weight of the kits. I then asked him for a quote on shipping to Indonesia. He must have thought I was a troll or something. I am still waiting for an answer. Two months later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online