Light for Vehicle Repairs

I'd like to get suggestions on a self-supporting light to use while underneath my truck. An LED light which uses batteries that can be replaced is what I'm looking for. The light should have a stand or something that can support it so the light can be aimed.
Thanks, Durwin

sam-aye-am

Petzl headlamp. Actik Core is what I use. Have an older Fenix headlamp as well as one I got based on FB add that has a LED strip on the headband, but prefer the Petzl. USB rechargable battery or triple A's. Light only where you need it, and never in your eyes unless you look in a mirror. I've tried several work lights only to find that it is much harder to get light where I need it and half the time ends up blinding me...especially when working at night.

Mfitz

I would say a combination of a magnetic rechargeable work light and a headlamp. Both are cheap and can be used for a variety of uses besides working under a vehicle.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This light doesn’t quite meet your stated specs, but it does meet your functional requirements abundantly. I own and use three of these myself, and give them out as Christmas gifts to my buddies. These are superb lights and incredibly handy to have and use, and super easy to charge.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I have one of these: I also have a couple LED lights, with a fold out stand that take batteries. I think I got those from Costco.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Those magnetic lights work really well. I drove my truck for a week after getting it worked on. When I went to do an oil change I found one hanging onto my transmission :)

alia176

Explorer
I'm late to the party but like the poster above mentioned, old fashioned headlamp always gets my vote. Heck, my headlamps get more use under my vehicles than in campouts. I have some of the above mentioned magnetic things but the headlamps are my go to. Every car has one attached to the headrests for camping or roadside repairs/assistance.

dstefan

This light doesn’t quite meet your stated specs, but it does meet your functional requirements abundantly. I own and use three of these myself, and give them out as Christmas gifts to my buddies. These are superb lights and incredibly handy to have and use, and super easy to charge.

Another vote for these. I love mine. Infinite uses and the magnetic butt really holds it well. Plus, the articulating light bar means you can get precise illumination any where you want.

alia176

Explorer
Another vote for these. I love mine. Infinite uses and the magnetic butt really holds it well. Plus, the articulating light bar means you can get precise illumination any where you want.

ditto, these things are awesome, especially when they go on sale over the holidays. Great as a stocking stuffer.

jgaz

Adventurer
Another fan of these HF lights for more than just working under the hood.

I use mine at the drill press. The older I get the more light I need.
524E8A55-774A-41EF-AD2C-60E38C3871FD.jpeg

Also handy for extra light at the bench. The round stock and a washer let me move it anywhere there is a dog hole.
A3694B3F-9536-462D-9117-988393D23D59.jpeg

I had almost the same light that was a Husky brand. The battery was built into the Husky and when it failed there was no simple replacement

alia176

Explorer
I feel ya brother, I feel ya. Just yesterday I was using the same HF light to light up the area I was welding, under the vehicle. It gets the light just where I need it and able to see it through the auto darkening helmet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior