Light offroad Casita

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
My only thought on moving the axle frontwards (or rearwards) when I weld in the new one was to account for the articulation of the swing arm and the clearance for the tire in the wheelwell.

Looking at the Dexter specs, the stock 10 degree up axle rotates towards the front from 5.91 (@ No Load) to 5.06 (@ Full Load) to 4.42 inches (@ Shock Load) from the axle centerline. The 22.5 Down you used rotates towards the front as well with very similar dimensions. I was contemplating the 45 degree down axle to get the maximum amount of lift (~5.28" @ no load). The dimensions are not that much different than the above numbers, but it swings to the rear as it cycles. I was afraid of the tire, a larger one at that, getting into the fiberglass at full stuff.

What criteria did you use to chosse the 22.5 down? It appears to provide 3.34" @ no load. For some reason, I'd really like to use 31x10.5x15 BFG's. I'm thinking more lift would make it easier.

Did you ever contemplate a wider axle (or spacers) to push the tires out of the wheelwells? Do you know the width of your axle?

I TOTALLY agree about not modding the wheelwell.

Aids10

xploraz.net
Another Fellow Cruiser/Casita ExPo Member! :safari-rig:

Perfect Timing; I have been researching this on the casita forums-
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=6749&view=findpost&p=125537
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1991

"
With more axle articulation does the axle need to be moved to be kept centered in wheel well?

Is a small body/frame lift needed aswell to fit slighty larger tires? I intend to use P235/70R16 +

Anyone done a long leaf springs & shocks suspension?? I'm looking to mate casita offroad with a soon to be lifted land cruiser.
"

I am also intending to mount matching 80 series rims and will need to order a wider axle to make up for wheel backspacing. :drool:

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
I haven't ruled out leaf springs and shocks. That would actually be my preference. Just more fab work required. I have some left over springs and shackles. Not above reusing parts. Just no time for any of it.

Piet

Adventurer
Next on the list is:
3) Solar, loose mounted not really interested in making a Swiss cheese with a roof that doesn't leak.

Since you have a smooth skin... consider suction cups? and run a long wire. That way you can unmount... place panel on a tripod or stake, away from the camper.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hahahaha .....I actually thought of that. I was looking at McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#suction-cups/=6sdgtz

So I would assume that each cup will hold the shown load capacity???
Another posibility is Seasucker, which has moved from marine into car stuff:

http://www.seasucker.com/landing_sep09/automotive.html.

I have one of the marine units, and it holds well and also has an indicator showing when it needs re-depressurized (that is to say, additional sucking).

wesel123

Explorer
Well took the Casita out this week end and it worked great. Drove over some pretty corrugated roads and nothing inside the trailer broke or came loose. I aired down to about 25 on each tire and that seemed to be the trick.

Low hanging pipes didn't ever come close to hitting or dragging. Took it over a few off camber spots and all was good.

To add to the mod list, I'm thinking of getting 1.5" spacers to push the wheels out a little farther. Just need to source them. If I could order the axel again I would extend the hub face out 3" or 4" more. Just for that added piece of mind.

But all in all I was nice and comfy in the middle of know where.:victory:

Here are a few pics
IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
Wesel,

Very very cool. Glad you finally got it out in the dirt. Love the pics of the whole rig. Similar to what I want my 100 to end up like. I'm hoping to tow mine with my 4Runner too for more local trips.

We camped in ours in the backyard last weekend just to get a taste for it. We dig it. The dogs are still a little unsure about it. I'm dying to lift it but don't have time nor money at the moment.

I see you got your rear bumper modified and installed a hitch & bike rack. Yet another thing on my list as well. Do you have any close up pics of how you did it? Would love to see them. Not that I just want to copy you....

wesel123

Explorer
Wesel,

Very very cool. Glad you finally got it out in the dirt. Love the pics of the whole rig. Similar to what I want my 100 to end up like. I'm hoping to tow mine with my 4Runner too for more local trips.

We camped in ours in the backyard last weekend just to get a taste for it. We dig it. The dogs are still a little unsure about it. I'm dying to lift it but don't have time nor money at the moment.

I see you got your rear bumper modified and installed a hitch & bike rack. Yet another thing on my list as well. Do you have any close up pics of how you did it? Would love to see them. Not that I just want to copy you....

Funny my pups LOVED sleeping in it got comfy right away. But the heater kicking on in the middle of the night scared the crap out of them....it was kinda funny...:)

I'll take some close ups of the trailer hitch today. It was done by a local custom hitch fabrication shop for about $250. A little pricey, but like I said before I can't weld to save my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater