Lightweight Expedition Options (Element, RAV4, Suzuki)

jmeadows

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but what about one of the more "rugged" hatchbacks out there, i think Lada made one, i see them every now and then around town with a lift and a snorkel. Ill see if i can find a pic or 2 so people know what im talking about.

:gunt:

TeleScooby

Adventurer
This is my first post on this great site!

Hey Paul - It's Jesse from EOC, we meet years ago at Marymoor for a quick drive...anyway

I now drive a Subaru Forester and just wanted to make a put for the inclusion of that vehicle in this list. I've done no major mods to my X just yet, but sourcing the parts from Australia, you can do wonders with it! Check out Offroadsubarus.com and subaruforester.org for more info and some amazing pics of Fozzies in action!

See you around the forum!

ZooJunkie

Explorer
txsurfer said:
Ok, im VERY NEW!!! I just signed up for several reasons. lets get into a little history
1st) I live in Texas and im an avid surfer, lets say obsessed!
2nd) I LOVE traveling and exploring especially in less than ideal ways (backpacking, hitchiking, bussing)
3rd) I love offroading/trail exploring, and overland travels are awsome to me

I recently completed a 33 day Mexico trip on busses just backpacking and camping the whole thing, surfing my brains out. It was simple and easy but i found out quick that while easy on the pocket book, exploring remote breaks proved to be an issue, i started thinking, overland expedition baby!

With that being said, im the proud owner of a 97 1st gen toyota RAV4 2wd 5spd manual. I haven taken this car into some very very (sorry what I would consider) sketchy places. Atfer I saw this post, I was just compelled to register. Im not into rock crawling, hardcore baja stuff, just not my style. I love the river crossings, rough trails, overland exploration type stuff. I have been outfitting my vehicle (very modestly) for such a trip next year. I should be heading through Mexico possibly into Belize, then down through the Peten in Guatemala, and back up through mexico for somewhere between 45 to 60 days.

My little RAV4 has suprised me more than once on totally stock suspension, and street tires. I have gone into deeeep drainage ditches, trying to teach myself to hold steady on severe inclines, prepaid to steer in direction of rollover if necesary. I have gotten back out of said ditches (1 barley) as well. I have made a small river crossing on a beach, was roughly knee deep all sand, no problem. I have taken it out on numerous trails and small rough dirt hill climbs, even jumped her once on accident plowing through a still being built holding pond. I love this car!

Before I leave, I plan on installing the folloing. Thule roof racks for surf boards and some camping equipment. Optima Battery backup system with 1 way charge system from main battery. Inverter with power strip to power camping equipment/cooler. Airbags inside my springs to hold the extra rear weight a little better. A floor mounted safe for money/passports. Extra hidden key system, alarm, kill switch, and BFG long trail T/As, 225/75/16s.
I just want to say that this little vehicle is a decent light offroading application, I just wish I had the 4wd!!!!

Hope to have some photos of the car and details of the trip when I get back. We are going through some very backroads in Mexico/Guatemala, so I will be bringing along a poor mans winch (come-a-long).
Wow you did quite a lot in just the 2WD RAV4!

viter

Adventurer
ZooJunkie said:
Wow you did quite a lot in just the 2WD RAV4!
X2... way more than majority of people (not on this site obviously) with 4wd suvs and trucks!!!

good luck with your trips!!!!

viter

Adventurer
jmeadows said:
i dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but what about one of the more "rugged" hatchbacks out there, i think Lada made one, i see them every now and then around town with a lift and a snorkel. Ill see if i can find a pic or 2 so people know what im talking about.

:gunt:

I know what these are cause I grew up in ukraine! I think you are talking about lada 8, but I don't think you can find many of them (if any) in the us. maybe in canada though... I know they have NIVA's in Canada -
Apr26-03.jpg

talking about small off-road cars/suvs, check out this video of italian FIAT panda awd car prepped for dakar? - http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTkaQ4AmSp0

chet

island Explorer
we have Lada Niva's in canada. Older ones. no new ones. I worked for a local ski hill here in the early '90's and they bought a bunch of them because they were cheap. they were awesome in the snow!!! BUT they broke down all the time and spent alot of time at the dealer. eventually shutting the dealer down due to bad reliability.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
bigreen505 said:
Going back to the smaller, lighter theme ...

Does anyone know how what a Subaru Outback is capable of, you know, outback?

Okay, first of all, I'll apologize in advance if it's a breach of etiquette to answer a post this old (may of 06), but I didn't see another answer, so here's mine:

I had a 99 Outback Wagon (OBW) as my previous vehicle (traded it in last month on an 04 Tacoma 4x4.) As with anything else, there are pluses and there are minuses.

Mine was a 99, auto, with the standard 2.5l flat-4 motor and the "rocky mountain edition" package (which was basically a cold weather package: Seat heaters, mirror heaters and windshield wiper heaters.) It was a great little vehicle for my last couple of years at law school in Laramie, Wyoming (where Winters are pretty harsh.)

Pluses:

* Comfortable and reliable - never had any problems with it (although you have to be careful with the 1st Gen - 95-99 - Outbacks as the 2.5l engine is notorious for blowing head gaskets.)
* AWD works great in snow, icy conditions, wet roads, and well-groomed dirt. Combined with the low CG you can really get crazy in the curves on dirt roads.
* Surprisingly large for a compact wagon.
* Decent (though not spectacular) MPG. I averaged 21-24 in the city and 25-31 on the highway, using cruise control. Combined with the 15.9 gallon tank, that gives over 400 miles highway range, better than my Tacoma.
* Factory roof rack can be adapted with commercial parts to take a Yakima or Thule rack.
* A surprising number of off-road parts (lift kits, 'roo bars, etc) are available, most of them from Australia, where Subarus are quite popular.
* Very maneuverable through city traffic; visibility and handling are great.

Minuses:

* Hauling capacity is just too small for 2 people, IMO (this is why I traded it for a Tacoma) NOTE: I think it would be fine for one person who didn't mind traveling light.
* (This one is personal to me - your mileage may vary) I didn't care for a lot of the "high end" options, i.e. power windows, power door locks, RKE, etc. My fear was that these things would break when I was in the middle of nowhere and I'd be stuck with a window down and a rainstorm coming in.
* While the Subaru is certainly capable, it does seem rather flimsy in comparison with an actual truck.
* Probably the worst aspect of the Outbacks is the miserable approach and departure angles, caused by excessive overhang at both ends. Really, this is the one thing that keeps the OBW from being a better off-roader. The worst offenders here are the '00-'04 models which have a large plastic air dam hanging from the front bumper. The '05-up models have a smaller air dam, as do the '95-'99 models.
* Breakover angle sucks, too.
* Rear driveshaft sits in a "tunnel" that can get packed with mud and makes a very unpleasant noise. This actually happened to me while I was hunting in Wyoming.
* Seats are rather flimsy and will wear out (spring material crushed down) after just a few years.
* The seat heaters usually break (on mine only the driver's side worked), and I never could get the mirror or wiper heaters to do anything.

Honestly, I think a Forester would make a better Expedition vehicle, even though it's shorter overall, just because it has slightly better approach/departure angles (although when they redesigned the Forester in 2003, they did add more front overhang.) '

A couple other things to consider: Besides the problematic head gasket, another reason to avoid a 95-99 Outback in favor of an 00- up version is that starting in 2000 all of the OBW's got a rear LSD. The '99 and earlier versions were never available with LSD.

An OBW or Baja with a mild, 3-4" lift would be a pretty capable vehicle overall. As long as you understand and respect its limitations, it can take you pretty far.

Hope this helps! :wavey:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I've been putting alot of thought into this subject as of late. Although it wouldn't get the 30mpg that is your target, and likely not save you enough $$ to get the bike, my take on it would be this....

Post '00 Tacoma, regular cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed.
-adding only the necesarry options in an effort to keep weight down.

For me I'd like to use the truck for multiple uses (hauling construction materials, daily driver, traveling (light overlanding), carrying my recreational toys, possibly putting a truck camper on it for long trips.

My theory is that by using the truck modulary I can keep the economy good. By this I mean only haul around what I need in it any given time. I'd keep the stock ride height and economy friendly all season tires but probably upgrade the suspension for payload. Install a removable front winch mount so I'm only carrying it when needed. Get a topper for that back that I can take on and off depending on what I'm using the truck for. Like I mentioned before, a truck camper could really stretch the versatility of it too.
t100spictures.htm

By having it relatively stipped down for daily driving, then accesorized as needed, I think it would be a great compromise of economy and ability. Kind of a swiss army knife approach. By cutting weight and keeping extra wind drag adding amenities off, I expect the mileage would be pretty reasonable. A diesel setup would be slick, but the petrol motor would have advantages in being cleaner running and likely easier to source parts for since it would be completely stock and US market.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
That's odd, I posted the above post as a response to the eco friendly thread. Not sure how I goofed that one up.

Spenser

Adventurer
Kristian=just stumbled upon your post while surfing the site today. Good summary of why I just bought a stripped down 2007 tacoma regular cab 2wd for my daily driver. Great truck, great mileage, needs bigger tires and better shocks but you cant beat the price which includes CD player, AC and tilt/telescopic wheel! Allows me to keep my Commander in the garage, gas savings pays the loan and the vehicle will do 90% of what I need in my daily comings and goings. :26_7_2:

Alexlebrit

Sorry to bring it back from the dead

I should admit I completely forgot I was a member here. If you wanted to go really, really small there's the Fiat Panda 4x4. The Italian police uses them and the first generation ones all over the Alps, summer and winter, and they'll go anywhere.

I've spent a couple of weeks with FIAT bouncing one round various off-road courses and they were happily coping with anything we could chuck at them chasing down Landies for all they're worth. And the good thing was the 1.3 diesel pulled in over 40 mpg (that's US gallons).

Here's a little YouTube of a test between the Panda and the newest Range Rover

I'm sure if the guy hadn't loused up that final corner it'd have put the Range Rover to shame.

Ursa Minor

Element

After finding this site and lurking a bit, I'll intro myself by admitting I have gone the "light" route at the moment with a Honda Element AWD. As I explored the Portal...I found someone linked to a thread I had on another board about a quick trip in Baja via my Element.

I think the Element can be better compared to a van than a SUV for overland travel. My travelling rigs previously ranged from the 65 VW micro (retired at 240K miles) and a D90 (sadly sold when I headed overseas for a spell).

The Element is drastically more reliable and faster than my aged VW, so I now take less spares and have yet to retime or adjust valves "en route". the clearance/breakangle isn't as good but it does have better running gear (disc brakes, AC, etc)

The 20-23 mpg increases my range over the old D90, which was running 10 mpg or less off road but has a tiny gas tank. The Defender was great for the last 10% of an adventure, but was not ideal for weekend excursions out of LA, since the other 90% of the terrain between home and "there" was pavement or gravel roads that the Element is fine with. Occasionally I push the E to go a little farther than it probably should, and it's got it's share of baja pinstripes now. Otherwise, if I want to go farther I switch to a backpack, mountain bike or a kayak when the E is at it's limit. I'll get a heavy duty rig again when I have time for multi-week trips again...probably about when the Defenders return to USA

Pic below of my rig loaded up at Lake Mead/Kingman Wash. I've been wrenching on it but nothing on the driveline/lift yet.

cheers,
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78