Lil' Something I Bought Today

jdholder

Explorer
In preperation for going deeper off the beaten trail, with the two kids - here's my first trailer - I thought I would buy one and see what I liked/disliked about it.

I was going to build one, but I thought I should just put all my camping gear into one that already has a RTT - then I can figure out (over a number of months/trips) what other stuff I need.

Here is the link:
CLICK HERE

It's got (3) 10 gallon water tanks under it - a water pump, (2) deep cycle batteries, Propane Bottle and 4 (2L) Gas cans. The inside is lined and the top open clamshell along with the tailgate coming down independently.

It looks to be well designed! I hope it is.

Honu

lost on the mainland
that looks killer :)

cant wait to see some more pics of the thing open and in detail :)

congrats for sure that is sswwwweeeeeettttt

can I ask how much ?

TheGillz

Explorer
2852296872_f93805b1e7_b.jpg

2852299964_a605278d9b_b.jpg

I like the motorcycle jack stand :p

Looks cool, if less than a little bit familiar. Pretty cool design and looks very stout.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Congratulations on the purchase, looks like a solid trailer. Owning a trailer is addictive.

What type of axle does it have?

Try to keep the Poly Block on the Treg coupler out of the sun as much as possible they have a tendency to perish.

Any way the lid can be switched so it opens from the passenger side instead of the drivers ? It would make it a little safer.

Unless the side and tail lights are also certified as reflectors, most are not, you need side and rear reflectors to make the trailer street legal. All minor stuff you'll be able to do.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Martyn said:
Unless the side and tail lights are also certified as reflectors, most are not, you need side and rear reflectors to make the trailer street legal. All minor stuff you'll be able to do.

Martyn- is that a CA rule? I didn't read anything on that when I got my trailer registered here in CO. That is all I need is Mr. Po Po pulling me over for not spending another 5 bucks on reflectors.

thanks mate!

Killer trailer btw bud!

Hi-jack off/:oops:

Martyn

Rezarf <>< said:
Martyn- is that a CA rule? I didn't read anything on that when I got my trailer registered here in CO. That is all I need is Mr. Po Po pulling me over for not spending another 5 bucks on reflectors.

thanks mate!

Killer trailer btw bud!

Hi-jack off/:oops:

Reflectors are a DOT requirement, they are also required in every State, and in Canada.

It's one of those issues that the people at your local DMV should know about but don't. So long as you have VIN, the right paperwork, and some $$ that's all they care about.

From a law enforcement point of view they could write you a ticket, and from a manufacturers point of view it's one of the regulations we follow. Although there are a lot of shoddy manufacturers around who don’t cross their T’s and dot their I’s.

The reflectors make a lot of sense if you think that a trailer could be disabled at the side of the road with no lights on and needs to be conspicuous to other vehicles.

gpwpat

Adventurer
Yes reflectors are very important. With my Bantam which is flat drab paint it all but disappears at night even though it has round dot reflectors. I have found the red/ white stripe reflector sticker to really make a trailer glow. The last thing I want is to get rear ended whie traveling.My new M101 will get tastefully applied stickers on the bottom crossmember.

jdholder

Explorer
Honu said:
that looks killer :)

cant wait to see some more pics of the thing open and in detail :)

congrats for sure that is sswwwweeeeeettttt

can I ask how much ?

Thanks! I will get more pics asap. The gentleman who owned it before is a friend, so I will not tell the price, although I think it was a great deal for several reasons.

jdholder

Explorer
Martyn said:
Congratulations on the purchase, looks like a solid trailer. Owning a trailer is addictive.

What type of axle does it have?

Try to keep the Poly Block on the Treg coupler out of the sun as much as possible they have a tendency to perish.

Any way the lid can be switched so it opens from the passenger side instead of the drivers ? It would make it a little safer.

Thanks for the congrats and for all the GREAT info! Why would opening from the passenger side be a little safer?

I will check on the side lights, and thanks for the info on the poly block - I have NO experience with those - can I get a spare?

Finally, I believe the axle is a 5200 lb unit and I know the bolt pattern is 8x170 - just like my Excursion!!

DavidEllzey

Observer
jdholder said:
Why would opening from the passenger side be a little safer?

John,

First, congrats on the trailer! You'll enjoy using it and when not in use, you will enjoy modding it. Mario means that when pulled to the side of the road, its safer to access the trailer (for a cold drink from the fridge for example) from the side away from traffic.

Dave

jdholder

Explorer
DavidEllzey said:
John,

First, congrats on the trailer! You'll enjoy using it and when not in use, you will enjoy modding it. Mario means that when pulled to the side of the road, its safer to access the trailer (for a cold drink from the fridge for example) from the side away from traffic.

Dave

Ah - yes - completely understand!! That does make a lot of sense.

The hinges are welded on, so while I will put that on the list, I might wait a bit to make that mod and just be very careful - or carry my fridge in the MASSIVE cargo hold of my EXCURSION!! :)

It truly is a boat - but it's my boat, so I am going with it for now.

Thanks!!

jdholder

Explorer
Martyn said:

Thanks again! Is there a specific location these reflectors must be mounted? I will pick up some reflectors ASAP.

Sincerely,

Martyn

jdholder said:
Thanks again! Is there a specific location these reflectors must be mounted? I will pick up some reflectors ASAP.

Sincerely,

You can place the amber reflectors right on the bend where the tongue and frame rails meet (flexible reflectors), or one on the frame in front of the amber side clearance light and one on the tongue as far back as possible if they are the solid type.

Red reflectors next to the red side clearance lights, and two on the rear outside the stop turn, tail lights.

Spares for the Treg coupler ave to come out of Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78