Limb lifters, Branch busters with ARB bumper

voyageur

Adventurer
Howdy,

I want to add a set/pair (or whatever you call them) of cable type, tree branch "keeper offers" - "windshield wiper savers" to my 1996 Disco I. I have an ARB bumper and an SD rack. I know they go from the outside top corners of the bumper (brush bar) to the outside, upper part, of the roof rack. What I don't know... is the best way to attach them to the bumper and roof rack. I understand, some have just fastened one end of the cable to the roo bar, run it up and around the SD rack and then back to the opposite side of the roo bar. In other words - one piece of cable. Others have used two pieces and fastened appropriately. I don't want to drill my brush bar so I am looking for suggestions for attachment at the b.b. and opinions as to the 1 vs 2 piece cable. How do you maintain tension? Turnbuckles? Springs? Combination? I hope to finish the addition this weekend so any advice will be appreciated...

Photos would be a benefit...

Thanks

Gore Ranger

Observer
you can just weld a tab from the hardware store onto each side of the brushbar and drill a hole in it to attach the cable

Attachments

• P1010124.JPG
    P1010124.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 296

TeriAnn

Explorer
Camel Trophy Land Rovers have a spring in series with the lift wire to absorb the force of the strike. Otherwise the firce gets directly transmitted to the hard mounting points.

Axe%20mount.JPEG

CtLight%20mounts.JPEG

Camel%20Trophy%20110.JPEG

When I made mine I used stainless steel wire, turnbuckle (to set wire tension) and springs from West marine.

GRpickaxe.JPEG

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Limb Risers? I thought that's what the windshield was for? Well if nothing else the cables look like a good way to dry the laundry!:hehe:
Jason T.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Stainless eyes from McMaster Carr or a good hardware store. Really though, they look cool but aren't all that practical. They get in the way more than you would think.

snow2.jpg

voyageur

Adventurer
Many Thanks...

Thank you for the great information, suggestions and photos.

Tomorrow I will buy SS eyebolts with necessary washers and nuts
SS cable with clamps, SS springs and any other hardware.

I decided to drill my ARB bumper and to use two pieces of cable (one each side).

In the area of ornament or function, while I have never been adverse to adding anything just because it looks "cool" (poser) I really will benefit from the addition. Here in South Florida, many of the areas we travel, require driving through heavy brush, instead of around it. I also plan to have my canvas man stitch me up a sun shade, that will be attached (when the vehicle is parked) between the upper portion of the cables to shade the cab. I know it may sound weird but it will be a big benefit here in the sunshine state...

Pirating my own thread:

Teriann, I have spent many, many hours enjoying your website. I would love to meet you in person one day. I think you are an incredible lady. Not flirting :) I have been married to the same fantastic woman for 41 years. It just amazes me when I read about all of the things you have done and the information you have shared. Thank you for responding, I feel like a kid in Little League who just had his glove autographed by Mickey Mantle...

Dave

TeriAnn

Explorer
Limb Risers? I thought that's what the windshield was for? Well if nothing else the cables look like a good way to dry the laundry!:hehe:
Jason T.

I don't know about your truck, but mine has heated windscreens which last time I looked, retailed for well over 100 UK pounds each. The front legs of my roof rack tend to pull brush towards the base of my windscreens. The limb risers lifts them up away before they encounter the front roof rack legs. I want to protect those puppies whilst I'm in the brush. However they definitely look poser in the open desert or Savannah.

And yes, if I'm camped for a day, there is often freshly laundered under garments & towels hanging from my limb raisers. ;)

TeriAnn

Explorer
Pirating my own thread:

Teriann, I have spent many, many hours enjoying your website. I would love to meet you in person one day. I think you are an incredible lady. Not flirting :) I have been married to the same fantastic woman for 41 years. It just amazes me when I read about all of the things you have done and the information you have shared. Thank you for responding, I feel like a kid in Little League who just had his glove autographed by Mickey Mantle...

Dave

I guess this is where I say aw shucks.

Thanks for the compliment and by the way at my age I will happily accept any flirting I can get.

But seriously there are a lot of guys on this forum who are a lot more experienced than I. There are some very respectable heavy hitters in the Land Rover World on this forum (continuing your metaphor). They are a great resource. I just happen to enjoy writing and taking pictures which tends to make me higher profile. That and having a need to see what's over the next mountain. Working on my Land Rover is the price I pay to see new places.

Take care

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I realize its probably too late but an easy clean way to attach to an ARB without welding or drilling is a pair of the ARB clamp on CB antenna mounts. Very sturdy.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I realize its probably too late but an easy clean way to attach to an ARB without welding or drilling is a pair of the ARB clamp on CB antenna mounts. Very sturdy.

I've got one of those and I think it is great for my antenna. They would work equally well for riser attachment points.

Pad

Adventurer
Really love the springs on them, smart move.
Also prefer clamping rather than drilling.
Do you that use these take them off when driving on city roads?
Hate to see a freeway deer hit with them on! Messy.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If a deer goes over the hood, I doubt it would mak emuch difference anymore, it's gonna be a big mess either way. Actually, if it DID get cut in half, that would probably be a good thing.

Actually, I have a neighbor who hit a deer in his Focus up in northern Alberta. No kidding the body went through the windshield, the head went around the driver's side A pillar, snapping it's neck, and the head ended up whipping in the driver's window and he got speared with the antlers. He lived, but was in hospital a long time. I'd rather the head just got cut off.

JJenista

2004 Discovery G-4

All,

Thank you very much for contributing to this thread; it was very helpful in completing the project on my own vehicle; I've posted a series of detailed photos at Flickr, which you can access via this link:

tinyurl[dot]com/G-4Cables

I knew when I put them on that I would have interference when opening the hood, so at first I used carabiners as forward quick-disconnects, but the cable tension (about 100 lb in-line) was too difficult to overcome without loosening the turnbuckles almost all the way. Even switching to pin-screw clevis links was still too slow, and probably difficult to work in cold conditions. But I discovered that the cables were relatively easy to spread laterally, enough to allow the hood to open. So, instead of having my wife and son spread the cables each time I open the hood, I fashioned a simple cable spreader from a length of wooden closet-hanger stock, wrapped in protective plumbing insulation, and capped with rubber furniture feet into which I gouged parallel grooves to fit the cables. I store the spreader just behind the rear seat, using the dog screen brackets to bungee it down.

If anyone would like additional information, you can e-mail me at jjenista(at)aol.com.

BTW, you would think I wouldn't need limb lifters or a snorkel in the mountains of Colorado, but in my high-stance profile I've already knocked a few pine branches out of the way with the cables, and I'm perfectly happy to be feeding my engine fresh air through the snorkel instead of the dust my trail buddies are ingesting.

Cheers,

j!m jen!sta
Colorado Springs, CO

HIS: 2004 Discovery G-4 with 33" tires, Old Man Emu lift, front sway bar disconnects, armor panels and rock sliders, ARB bumpers and lockers, Warn winch, CB, lights galore, snorkel, stepped roof rack, tow package, and all-spring suspension

HERS: 2004 Discovery G-4 with front grill brush guard, tow package, and nothing else (thank you very much)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears