Linking solar panels

bansil

Adventurer
Have been looking at solar power

I noticed multiple panels would have their own leads.

The control modules (that will handle up to say 4 panels not to exceed amp rating) only have one set of inputs(looks like 10 ga guess)

So looking at pictures, some systems look like leads run from one panel to the next and so on,ending with one set of leads coming out of last panel hooked to a controller.

I have seen other systems where all leads (different lengths) go to a junction box and then one set of leads to controller

What is proper way to do this,since all panels would have different voltage and amps produced,just due to variables

example 4 - 40watt 12v panels and a 12amp controller

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Off hand I'd wire them up parallel using a junction box/bus bar. All the positives combine and one line goes to the controller and the same for the negative. Then each panel is acting independently and just adding what amps it can.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
It depends on the controler ampage and wattage wether you connect in series or parrallel

ie its best to have a higher voltage and less current

less losses and smaller wire size

You can also build multiple series strings and then connect to the controller in parallel - for redundancy

really need more info on what your trying to accomplish

pods8

Explorer
I assumed he's trying to connect something like "4 - 40watt 12v panels and a 12amp controller" as he listed above. For that I'd think just going parallel would be best. No point doing a series installation and using a higher voltage controller to then have to drop it back down to 12V (presumably).

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Duh - yep missed that !

correct parralel.

But 160 watts at 12V gives you 13.33 amps

You need to check the actual panel voltage- as most 12v panels give out about 17V at max output
which would bring you in range on your controller.

Some small panels give out actual 12V for direct power usage

It all depends on suppliers and actual equipment but either way

for a small system you are about right - just need to check actual voltage of the panels and the max voltage input of the controller

bansil

Adventurer
Pods8 you are correct,everyone said "what do you want for christmas?"...I printed off a sheet gave it my wife and said acouple of these would be nice"...so...I guess "they" don't realize that if my wife buys stuff with/on my ebay/internet card that I wouldn't get notifications.:ylsmoke: I will do the "wow" on the 25th lol,only thing I know for sure is I'm getting 4-40watt panels and a controller..maybe 2 controllers?(these were ebay buys)
So the next question may be how to hookup 2 simple controlers to 2 batteries to charge at same time(if that's doable)I will have to wait on that question..

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
We have 3 panels that are all wired by themselves into one junction box which then has one wire that drops down to the Charge Controller

486565160_Vfgmc-L-1.jpg

Never had any issues after 6 years of non-stop use

bansil

Adventurer
I ended up with 3 40watt panels and am going to do like that,3 into a junction box and 1 into controller,thanks for picture

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78