Lipstick on a Pig: The 10 Don'ts of Vehicle Modifications

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Anything I say Scott with just be my own opinion once again. I think it is clear here that every region, in every part of the world, requires different considerations and equipment when a person wants to operate a vehicle safely and effectively. What works on the west coast praries as "best practice" could get you in a world of trouble on the east coast. Engine modifications that function very efficiently and reliably in a big old school diesel van would leave a new 6.7L Cummins stranded far from home. Parts that I source from a box store and apply creatively and effectively in my rig given my skill set and shop capabilities might prove disasterous for somebody trying to replicate it with handyman tools and limited craftsmanship skills.

To group us all into a box is what I take issue with. My sentence structure in the above post wasn't punctuated correctly, which made it read confusing after the fact.

"Some of the bullet points in the "10 Don'ts" I fully agree with, but only because it corresponds with physics and common sense. "

This applies to roof loading and GVWR concerns, a confusing and overstimulating cockpit, and compromising safety with poor suspension, braking, and steering modifications. Those are all factual issues which can be empirically proven to cause issues while driving down the road or trail. Everything else is opinion which may or may not apply to those who frequent this forum.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
#8 is a contentious one as CBs are currently prolific in the US. It is like any technology, there is contant innovation and movement. In my opinion, the benefit of the CB is cost (i.e. cheap) and popularity in North America. Functionally, it is flawed by the nature of it being a citizens band. The nature of this site is backcountry travel, exploration, etc., which results in long distances, remote locations and potentially significant spacing between vehicles (dust). A HAM radio is simply better IMHO. With a little more money (2M radios can be obtained relatively cheap, even $100) and some time (HAM license) you have a superior communications tool. The 2M radio in my Discovery is 80Watts. That is 20x more powerful than a CB (legally).

It takes some time, but people are converting over and finding the communications so much less frustrating and more effective. We can talk 20 or more miles apart. In cities, we can communicate easily. We all started moving this way with the encouragement of Jack from 4wdTrips. He was right - it was worth the effort.

Scott, as I stated in my response to this post, the "barrier to entry" for HAM isn't cost (as I said in that thread, I bought my current 2m mobile for $50 on CL.) The main issue is the complexity of modern VHF radios. It's a steep learning curve and while it's not insurmountable, you can't deny that it's there.

Here's how you use CB: 1. Buy the radio and antenna. 2. Install it in your vehicle. 3. When you get ready for a trail run, you huddle with the other people in the group and pick a channel. That's it.

With a VHF mobile rig, it's not that simple. First you get your license. OK, it's not a big deal, spend a few hours studying, pay $15 and you've got it. Then go buy and install your radio.

Now the fun begins. What frequency? Will you be using a repeater? If so, do you have the neccessary CTCSS/DTMF or sub-audible tones programmed into your radio? Do you even know how to do that? Unless you have buddies who are HAMs, chances are, you don't. My "new" radio is an old Kenwood and it has a dizzying array of options and settings, most of which I don't understand.

Can I learn? Sure I can, but time is a zero-sum game, isn't it? That is, every hour I spend learning how to use my new radio is an hour I'm not spending doing something else. Now if I was really, really into radio, that would be one thing, but I'm not. I only need to learn enough to make my radio work when I need it. I'm working my way through the owner's manual, but it's not easy.

This, to me, is the weakness of the HAM radio setup. Put more simply, it's not that HAM radios require a huge investment of money (as you've pointed out, that's not true. Sure, you can spend a lot of money, but you don't have to.)

But it does require a non-insignificant investment of time - or a really good HAM mentor.

And while some people have the time to invest (I'm fortunate that I do) a lot of folks don't, and for them, a simple, easy-to-use CB is a better alternative for that very reason.

Last edited:

datoy

Adventurer
I am one of those that has lots of antennas on my expo vehicle.

I start with a 3 watt cell phone amp with antenna. I use this for Internet connections for Skywarn activation (live radar to my on board computer) as well as the first line of defence for emergency calls.

Second, I have a dual band Ham radio (VHF, UHF). I almost always am out solo with my family so I have this tuned to the local repeaters. If I have a life threatening injury either my daughter or wife can make a call on the radio for help. HAMS are well known for getting help to those that call for it on the radio so this is a great option.

Third, I have a CB that ONLY gets taken out and hooked up when needed for group trail runs. This happens only a few times a year.

My final line of communications is HF and this is great fun for making contacts all over the world while on the road and allows for a final path for emergency communications when out of range of a repeater.

OK... I am a full on geek and an active member of our local Emergency Service group but I really do use them all.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I am one of those that has lots of antennas on my expo vehicle...

Yeah, you have a few. I was actually thinking of your rig earlier in this thread. :D

Though I've told the story of your flat tire in the bottom of Eagle Canyon (SR Swell) quite a few times. I come back to see what the hold up was and and busy bees are swapping out a tire. I ask "where is Tom" and laugh off the reply "on the phone calling the tire store". Sure enough it turns out you were, I was impressed with your booster to say the least.

Scott Brady

Founder
It's a steep learning curve and while it's not insurmountable, you can't deny that it's there.

That is quite valid, principally with the more advanced units. I got my dual-band, GPS capable Yaesu so jumbled up that we had to send it in for service. It actually allows you to tune the receiver to the point that it receives/transmits slightly off channel. I have no idea how we managed to do that, but it made the unit unusable. Just changing the squelch is a ridiculous exercise of standing on one foot, sticking the antenna up your nose, pushing the MOD and MENU button at the same time and then rotating the freq dial. It is foolish.

Our Vertex standard HTs are must better. All simple dials for major actions and a strong design. My 2800 is also dead simple to use.

So you are correct, some of the radios are built with very complex actions because I believe that is part of the appeal for some HAM operators.

Now that I have the VX-8GR figured out, I love it, but your point is completely valid.

VX-8GR_thumb.jpg

However, I would submit that some things are worth the effort. It is worth the effort to learn a more complex, yet ultimately better performing technology. Of course, that decision is something we all make with each new activity. For example, I have no desire to learn to play golf. ;)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Scott, as I stated in my response to this post, the "barrier to entry" for HAM isn't cost (as I said in that thread, I bought my current 2m mobile for $50 on CL.) The main issue is the complexity of modern VHF radios. It's a steep learning curve and while it's not insurmountable, you can't deny that it's there.

Here's how you use CB: 1. Buy the radio and antenna. 2. Install it in your vehicle. 3. When you get ready for a trail run, you huddle with the other people in the group and pick a channel. That's it.

With a VHF mobile rig, it's not that simple. First you get your license. OK, it's not a big deal, spend a few hours studying, pay $15 and you've got it. Then go buy and install your radio.

Now the fun begins. What frequency? Will you be using a repeater? If so, do you have the neccessary CTCSS/DTMF or sub-audible tones programmed into your radio? Do you even know how to do that? Unless you have buddies who are HAMs, chances are, you don't. My "new" radio is an old Kenwood and it has a dizzying array of options and settings, most of which I don't understand.

Can I learn? Sure I can, but time is a zero-sum game, isn't it? That is, every hour I spend learning how to use my new radio is an hour I'm not spending doing something else. Now if I was really, really into radio, that would be one thing, but I'm not. I only need to learn enough to make my radio work when I need it. I'm working my way through the owner's manual, but it's not easy.

This, to me, is the weakness of the HAM radio setup. Put more simply, it's not that HAM radios require a huge investment of money (as you've pointed out, that's not true. Sure, you can spend a lot of money, but you don't have to.)

But it does require a non-insignificant investment of time - or a really good HAM mentor.

And while some people have the time to invest (I'm fortunate that I do) a lot of folks don't, and for them, a simple, easy-to-use CB is a better alternative for that very reason.

Let's simplify that frightfully long list:
  1. Get a ham license
  2. buy a Wouxan @$100 handheld
  3. program it to a simplex channel
  4. talk to your buddies on the trail

All the other stuff like repeaters, touch tone and so on are not necessary to yakking on the trail

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
  1. Get a ham license

All the other stuff like repeaters, touch tone and so on are not necessary to yakking on the trail

:confused: If all you're going to do is talk on simplex then why not just stay with CB or FRS? Getting a VHF-FM to use in simplex only mode is building yourself right back into the same box you just got out of.

Obviously you can push more power with a HAM but since you're going to be communicating line-of-sight anyway, I'm not sure how much of a factor that is. And an HT is going to be limited to the same 5w that a CB can put out IIRC. So if you're sticking with an HT, there's no reason to favor HAM over FRS.

Expedition Leader
:confused: If all you're going to do is talk on simplex then why not just stay with CB or FRS? Getting a VHF-FM to use in simplex only mode is building yourself right back into the same box you just got out of.

Obviously you can push more power with a HAM but since you're going to be communicating line-of-sight anyway, I'm not sure how much of a factor that is.

You answered your own question. Not just more power; up to 20X the power of cb. Yes, it makes a difference, even just line-of-sight. Line-of-sight is not too literal anyway, I've talked to people on simplex far away in a different canyon / many hills away that I could not possibly see. 2M FM is also way better audio quality than AM cb.

Like Jim said, 99% of trail commo is on simplex anyway. You usually wouldn't want to tie up a repeater with trail chatter even if there was one in range.

bfdiesel

Explorer
  1. Get a ham license

It is over 100 miles to the nearest ham license test I would need to drive to from what I can find. So number one is not neccessarily all that easy or cheap for everyone.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Obviously you can push more power with a HAM but since you're going to be communicating line-of-sight anyway, I'm not sure how much of a factor that is.

Obviously HT's are a different scenario but comparing a high output mobile 2M and a high quality CB, the 50-75W 2M is going to have a reliable reception of up to 20 miles in my experience, often more, sometimes less... all dictated by geography, etc. The 5W max output CB on the other hand is going to be limited to approximately 5 miles at best. I know there are some that claim 50 mile or more contacts out of their CB's and kudos to you but it suffices to say that the average 2M install gets double, triple or more the range than the average CB install. Now, why is that range so important? For some it simply may not be and in most cases its not for me either. However get a group of ham'ers out on the trail together and its fair to say that one of them can easily be bouncing off repeaters all over the west while the others are just talking to the rig in front of them. As has been discussed in similar threads as well as this one, in many cases it comes down to who you travel with... more and more, the groups I regularly travel with are 2M only. I still have both in my trucks and likely always will so long as I'm doing trail guiding with diverse groups there are always some with CB only and I end up being the repeater :D

nwoods

Expedition Leader

It would appear based on this comment that you have not yet had the opportunity to use your HAM radio on the trail. There is no equal. The range and clarity and consistency is unparalleled. Gone are the days when you want to chuck the handset right out the window in frustration. HAM is SO MUCH BETTER its almost pointless to compare. The only thing CB has going for it is popularity, which is why we recommend carrying both.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
If you go on a group trail run with Exploring NH you have to have a CB. Their rule. I must be antisocial because I don't and I don't but to them HAM would be as useful as a chocolate teapot. (I don't have either of them, either.)

What I find interesting as a non radiophile is how contentious the CB/HAM/talkabout/megaphone/smoke signals/satphone/carrier pigeon/etc. debate is. Its like the never ending Mac versus PC versus Linux versus... argument. :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998