Lithium is engine bay (heat blankets)

blackohio

Observer
So i had planned on running a 80ah li battery on a slee tray with red arc bcdc in my lx470 without ahc.

without thinking about heat from the bay. So my question is do you think thermal blankets on the battery are enough to keep the battery working and the heat from killing it?

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

A lot of it depends on how cold of temperatures and how long. Unless you have some kind of heating element, freezing temps are going to penetrate any kind of insulation you have in the engine bay.

john61ct

Adventurer
Reflective material will keep radiant heat (infrared) from hitting it.

But overall ambient temps will still greatly reduce lifespan.

Whether that fact makes it worth relocating the battery is a judgement call.

hour

Observer
Would be interesting to know what the consequences are. I've sweat my battery hitting 115*F in the summer in the bed of my truck. Not much I can do about it as that's the coolest place (short of in the cab when I'm driving with A/C.) I capacity tested it twice last week before reinstalling it yesterday and it doesn't seem that the year it spent in my truck 24-7 had any noticeable effect.

I'd probably drive myself crazy thinking about my battery every time I got stuck at a stoplight in the middle of summer though if I put it under the hood.

john61ct

Adventurer
Too many variables to quantify

greyscale rather than black and white

but def a very significant impact.

But not worth rigging an active cooling solution

Do the best you can, which "coolest spot on the truck" certainly is

OllieChristopher

Pretty much just decided that to simplify wiring wasnt worth the problems so back to the back of the truck it goes.

I honestly don't think heat is going to be an issue. I have been using the same lithium battery in my motorcycle for almost 9 years now with no ill effects. It has been ran in Lucerne, El Mirage, even Randsburg in well over 100 degree temps. It starts my bike every time.

john61ct

Adventurer
Sure for owners for whom only one decade is OK

abuse the crap out of it no worries.

I have banks costing thousands I plan to pass on to my grandkids

OllieChristopher

Sure for owners for whom only one decade is OK

abuse the crap out of it no worries.

I have banks costing thousands I plan to pass on to my grandkids

Unfortunately you cannot say for sure how long they are going to last. Lithium technology has not been around long enough to test your theory in the field.

These claims of 10,000+ life cycles have yet to be proven by the end user. That is over 27 years of daily charge cycles.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes of course.

But lots are now hitting 18 years, many in daily cycling, and some well cared for show very close to or still greater than nameplate capacity.

The usual rating of only 3000-4000 cycles to 80% SoH, was obviously arrived at with high C-rate applications in mind like the military and EV markets that have dominated the development of the LI industry.

For low C-rate mobile House bank usage, most users will likely be happy to go to much further EoL maybe even 60-70% SoH.

blackohio

Observer
I honestly don't think heat is going to be an issue. I have been using the same lithium battery in my motorcycle for almost 9 years now with no ill effects. It has been ran in Lucerne, El Mirage, even Randsburg in well over 100 degree temps. It starts my bike every time.
hmmm The only thing the battery manufacturer mentioned was the BMS has a 32º / 150º cut-off.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
The lithium I know of doesn't like heat. Blankets don't prevent heat transfer, just slow it down. Give it time, it will cook in the oven. Just takes longer to cook, and also longer to cool down. EVs have water cooled batteries and that isn't fighting engine bay heat from a combustion engine. Hybrids typically put batteries far from the engine and the heat.

Alloy

If there's a turbo I'd be ducting air from outside the engine compartment to the battery(s).

Wouldn't insulate it due to the heat generated from charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman