Living with a Powertank

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Finally got a Powertank. I found it harder to get it filled than I thought I would. Even being in Montana's largest city I only found one place that would touch it. Anyways, the guy that filled it was very nice but he really spooked my wife about being around the tank. He told use to never have it inside the Jeep as it could be deadly. Is this true? I ordered powertanks JK package which came with a roll bar mount but looking back at their ads all the photos show the JKs using it but with the top off. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Powertank.jpg
    Powertank.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 523

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I don't think the tank itself is the issue as much as the valve is. If the valve gets hit hard enough it could snap off then you have a air powered missile. If nothing else the escaping air will make you deaf and soil your pants <G>.
The tanks run about the same PSI as a oxygen cylinder used in welding...look that up on YouTube and see the damage that "can" happen. Thee is a reason the welding cylinders have those heavy steel caps threaded over the valve.
That being said I have never heard of it happening off road with a properly mounted and protected bottle.

Darrell

jeepster1407

Observer
I just had mine filled as well. I have always been leary mounting the tank to the cage unless its at a point it will be 100% protected during a rollover.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What was the trouble you were having. It's just a standard co2 tank that any welding gas supplier should be able to handle. The only issue would be the certification date. Tanks have to be pressure tested and if they're expired most places won't fill till they're current. I bought a tank from a member of the expo portal team here (whatever that is) and he failed to mention the tank was long expired. Buyer beware and all that.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I have used the same homebrew 15# co2 tank for over a 7 years with no issues. I get the tank hydro tested yearly by a local fire extinguisher company that does it in house. While it's there they check the valve, the hose, put in new o-rings, fill it and slap a new co2 label on it for $30.00 I have it mounted in a fire extinguisher bracket that is bolted to the back of one of the seats. While mounted I also zip tie the carry handle in two spots to the back JK headrest bars. I use thick HD cable ties I get from a friend that are rated for 175 pounds. They are free to me, easy to cut and reinstall new ones and give me an added piece of mind. Now I am sure an engineer could tell me some fascinating stat's about bending moments, shear forces and how I could end up with the tank flying around my Jeep but I have ran co2 tanks in the same type of mount, the same way for 15 years and never had one come loose including two rollovers, one in an XJ and one in a TJ. *this is not advice, just my experience/opinion.

millerfish

Adventurer
I think what he was warning of is suffocation. If the vehicle is all closed up and the tank leaked or emptied for whatever reason there is a possibility of suffocating. Say you were sleeping, unconscious or rendered immobile the vehicle could fill with C02 and you would have no Oxygen.

chasespeed

Explorer
Yes, it can displace the oxygen in the cabin.

The valve can leak.

They make brass caps to cover the port, in case the seat of the valve fails.

Every bottle in my van has to have a cover(oxygen, acetylene, nitrogen, CO2, etc).

If the bottle is SECURELY mounted, I wouldn't worry about the neck getting broken off.

CO2 has a Pressure Temp relationship. 853psig at 70f.

Pretty low compared to nitrogen bottles.

Chase

Zeep

Adventurer
Finally got a Powertank. I found it harder to get it filled than I thought I would. Even being in Montana's largest city I only found one place that would touch it. Anyways, the guy that filled it was very nice but he really spooked my wife about being around the tank. He told use to never have it inside the Jeep as it could be deadly. Is this true? I ordered powertanks JK package which came with a roll bar mount but looking back at their ads all the photos show the JKs using it but with the top off. Thoughts?

Is your bottle aluminum?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Alternative sources to filling the bottle include beverage companies, fire extinguisher companies, and of course, welding supply shops.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I have used the same homebrew 15# co2 tank for over a 7 years with no issues. I get the tank hydro tested yearly by a local fire extinguisher company that does it in house. pinion.

Just curious why you do this yearly? I cant remember exact specs but I believe hydros only have to be done every..5 years? Something along those lines.

Leakage isn't really a concern for me since mine is mounted in a vented external compartment but if the op were concerned he could mount a co2 detector inside. I have one in my Ambo just because of my propane heater.

Septu

Explorer
What was the trouble you were having. It's just a standard co2 tank that any welding gas supplier should be able to handle.

This. I live in bum **** nowhere, and have no issues getting mine filled. Mine is mounted to the rollbar, however I take it out to use because the cord isn't long enough to reach the front tires otherwise.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Everyone I called wanted to just exchange the tank. One welding shop would do it but then told me it would be cheaper and faster if I just went to the place that would fill it. Which happened to be down the road from where I work.

The bottle I believe is aluminum and it is brand new. Yes, I know about the recertification process.

My main concern is should it be mounted outside the vehicle?

chasespeed

Explorer
My main concern is should it be mounted outside the vehicle?

As I mentioned earlier, the first concern would be a valve leak. If the fitting is capped, it is almost a non-issue.

Then, the next is the rupture disc. If you have a proper DOT AL cylinder, you're relief device SHOULD be rated for 3000psi.
If the bottle gets overfilled, the relief will blow early. It won't just vent and drop pressure... they blow... and keep going until empty.

However, keeping bottles in my van is one thing...

Would I hesitate to mount one in my roof rack, or a trailer? Nah.
In the cabin of my little WJ? Depends.. with just me in it, I wouldn't worry to much. With my family, probably wouldn't do it.When the relief blows, ITS LOUD. And I would ensure that relief is aimed AWAY from people, and glass, as it's a boiling liquid, and will be VERY cold when it's coming out. CO2 temp at atmospheric pressure is -109f..

Personally, it's your call.

Chase

Scoutn79

Adventurer
As I mentioned earlier, the first concern would be a valve leak. If the fitting is capped, it is almost a non-issue.

Then, the next is the rupture disc. If you have a proper DOT AL cylinder, you're relief device SHOULD be rated for 3000psi.
If the bottle gets overfilled, the relief will blow early. It won't just vent and drop pressure... they blow... and keep going until empty.

However, keeping bottles in my van is one thing...

Would I hesitate to mount one in my roof rack, or a trailer? Nah.
In the cabin of my little WJ? Depends.. with just me in it, I wouldn't worry to much. With my family, probably wouldn't do it.When the relief blows, ITS LOUD. And I would ensure that relief is aimed AWAY from people, and glass, as it's a boiling liquid, and will be VERY cold when it's coming out. CO2 temp at atmospheric pressure is -109f..

Personally, it's your call.

Chase

One more argument for OBA :ylsmoke:

Darrell

unkamonkey

Explorer
Interesting reads from people. I've had more problems from propane tanks venting in the heat but never inside a vehicle.
I was sitting here at my desk scratching my nads one morning and heard something hit the floor and scream for a few minutes in my laundry room. It was a freshly filled CO2, 25lb bottle that was sitting in the sun, actually it was in the winter so it wasn't all that warm back there but I did ventilate the house. They do vent until they are empty and the noise will wake you up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger