LJ belly up skid advice

JohnnyS

Explorer
I'm going to put a belly up skid on my LJ rubicon and don't know which one I want to install yet.
The stock skidplate is like a shovel/anchor and needs to go.
I do not have a BL/MML (several skids require this) & have no plans to install one.
Anyone have any input?
Thanks,

Quinn

Observer
If you want to gain any ground clearance, a body lift will be a must so that there is room to push up the drivetrain.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
There are several choices out on the market, but the AEV TT and the Rokmen are standouts.

You can do both without a body lift, but it is very tight.

alosix

Expedition Leader
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH14021AA

No BL needed with this setup, even for the rubi. It has a small 'sump' area for the part of the t-case that hangs down.

I've been running one of the earlier 'do it yourself' versions for quite a while on my TJ (AW-4 tranny and NP231, no sump on mine). Works great and no need for a BL.

Jason

pic of nice clean belly lines :

p5300147.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyS

Explorer
I noticed that AEV doesn't mention LJs on their site.
Has anyone put one on an LJ?
Thanks for all the input!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I noticed that AEV doesn't mention LJs on their site.
Has anyone put one on an LJ?
Thanks for all the input!

I have the AEV version of the 9th Degree tummy tuck on our LJ, and it's an excellent piece of kit. However, I have a 1" body lift, so I can't comment on fitting it without the lift. I will say that my exhaust seemed to rattle on it from time to time, so I had about 1/4" ground off of the front lip and that solved it.

whitecon

Observer
I have one on my LJ with no body lift and absolutely love it. A very stout and well thought out peice.
Call AEV or log on to their forum and you will find out all the info you need. They have great customer service. Dave Yeggie (owner of AEV) was a former engineer for Jeep and directly responsible for Jeep producing the Rubicon model. Their products all reflect OEM quality or above.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dave Harrinton was the man that started AEV.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the AEV/Nth products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears