LJinLA's '94 Expedition Trooper

LJinLA

Observer
I bought this 5-spd 94 Trooper with 202K miles a couple of days ago for $1,500. Here are a few pictures I took yesterday:

View attachment 166997View attachment 166998View attachment 166999View attachment 167000View attachment 167001

The truck appears to have been well maintained mechanically and starts and drives strong. It is also completely rust-free, having been a California truck all its life. I plan to use this Trooper mainly for expedition-like travel, camping, etc. There will probably be some mild off-roading when traveling to reach campsites through poorly maintained paths/roads, but I do not intend to do any off-roading for its own sake at this point. I'll build a light wooden storage/sleeping platform which will add a bit (not in a major way) to the truck's weight.

I'd much appreciate all the advice I can get on the following:

1) Tires don't have a whole lot of meat left and will have to be replaced soon. Initially I was thinking of going for 33x10.5x15s, but that's probably not a very good choice because I need to keep fuel consumption down since I'll be driving over long distances. If you look at the pictures, the truck right now has 16" American Racing wheels (I have no idea as to what width/backspacing) with 235/75s in front and 245/75s on the rear axle.
What would a good value tire for my purposes be? I would like to keep the truck as stock as possible. It handles really well as is, so perhaps it would be a good idea to keep the suspension as is (I think it is stock, but I'm not sure whether the truck has been slightly lifted, probably not). Should I go for 265/75s (31.5x10.5s) - which would improve off roading a bit - or would that hurt mileage noticeably making 245/75s (30.5x9.5s) or even 235/75s (30x9.25) a better choice for maintaining a good mpg value? To me mileage economy is more important than off road performance/looks, but if 265/75s won't hurt mileage that much, they might be the way to go. I think that a taller tire that is not necessarily wider or substantially heavier than a shorter one might actually help fuel economy. I need to get some input in this sense from your practical experience of it.
Also there is the question of tire price and durability (I'm on a pretty tight budget for now), so I'd really welcome some good advice here as to what brand/size you think it would be best, all considered, for my purposes.

2) The paint on the hood and on the top of the truck looks pretty bad (much worse than viewable in the pictures), baked by the California sun. I am thinking of painting all truck with Rustoleum (it can be done with a brush). I've seen a few vehicles painted this way and they don't look bad at all, plus the paint can be retouched very easily to fix scratches as needed..besides being a very low-cost solution. Does anyone here have any experience with using Rustoleum to paint their vehicles? This will be the very first vehicle I attempt to paint, so again some good advice would be great.

3) The driver's seat has a large hole in it and needs to be repaired (if at all possible) or replaced. If you know of any information available on doing this, please let me know. I have absolutely no experience in doing this sort of thing, either.

4) Maintenance procedures. I'll be doing all maintenance for this truck myself and I wonder if there are good maintenance resources online for the 2nd gen Troopers? I'll eventually get the repair manual for my truck (I've seen it sells for $160 new), but I'd rather wait for the chance of buying it used. I've seen them pop up on CL from time to time.

5) Stuff that is advisable I start getting for the truck, useful tools/stuff specific to this model but also general stuff and anything you feel suggesting here that comes to mind.

I look forward to learn a whole lot from your posts and to also contribute my own experience here in the hope that it will be useful to others.

Paul

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Welcome to the Trooper world. First thing I can think of that you may not be aware of is the manual transmission uses motor oil. Also, be sure to check your engine oil level often, depending upon the year, oil consumption is common (not sure the 94 with 3.2 fits that category).

Check out pick and pulls in your area for parts, Troopers should be around. Lots of dead ones. You might even find some dead ones on Craigslist for cheap that are newer and have good tires, good seats, etc ... for about the same as the individual parts may cost you.

As for suspension, save your pennies for an Old Man Emu springs and shocks. Well worth the extra over the Monroe's, etc ...

I've owned two Troopers. On the first, I ran stock for a while before going with just OME shocks. What a world of difference they made. First purchase for my second was OME springs and shocks.

You will find Troopers, in stock form, amazingly capable. Add two inches of OME and 265s (285s will fit with no lift) and the vehicle is capable of more than most can imagine.

LJinLA

Observer
Thanks, Jeffry, for your welcome and advice!

What specific OME springs and shocks do you suggest for the 2nd gen Trooper (with expedition travel in mind)?

I've been looking at tire sizes, searching for a tire tall enough and narrow enough to maximize fuel mileage and also be appropriate for the occasional off road situation.
The 235/85R16 seems to fit the bill perfectly, except perhaps that it is usually an E-rated tire. The data published at the BFG website gives the following for the AT KO series (a BFG AT KO seems most appropriate for my purposes):

BFG AT KO LT235/85R16/E, Rim req. 6"-7", width 9.4" (on 6.5" rims), height 31.7", 3042 lbs. @ 80, weight 47 lbs.

BFG AT KO LT265/75R16/E, Rim req. 7"-8", width 10.5" (on 7.5" rims), height 31.7", 3415 lbs. @ 80, weight 52 lbs.

BFG AT KO LT245/75R16/E, Rim req. 6.5"-8", width 9.8" (on 7" rims), height 30.5", 3042 lbs. @ 80, weight 46 lbs.

Not only is the 235/85 lighter than the equally tall 265/75, but it is also narrower, which will probably minimize rubbing and also improve fuel mileage.
I don't think I should mind the tires being E-rated, as I can always run them at 50 psi or less to soften the ride, given that I'll be using the Trooper for long distance travel and it might get heavy at times.

Any thoughts?

jeffryscott

Not sure on which OME springs/shocks, probably mediums if I remember right. Unless you are loading down with heavy gear and bumpers, firm might be overkill.

As for tires, either 265 or 235 fit well. I had 235 BFG AT's on the first Trooper, and have 265/75/16 Michelin AT's on this one. No rubbing with either tire even without lift (as mentioned 285's will fit stock with no problems). Keep checking craigslist for tires, Toyota or Nissan six lug wheels will fit and I often see newer take offs available (mounted, balanced and ready to go) for $500 or less.

Also check out planetisuzoo.com, lots of good info there.

LJinLA

Observer
Not sure on which OME springs/shocks, probably mediums if I remember right. Unless you are loading down with heavy gear and bumpers, firm might be overkill.

As for tires, either 265 or 235 fit well. I had 235 BFG AT's on the first Trooper, and have 265/75/16 Michelin AT's on this one. No rubbing with either tire even without lift (as mentioned 285's will fit stock with no problems). Keep checking craigslist for tires, Toyota or Nissan six lug wheels will fit and I often see newer take offs available (mounted, balanced and ready to go) for $500 or less.

Also check out planetisuzoo.com, lots of good info there.

Thanks! I'm on planetisuzoo too, and I've seen the consensus is for 265/75R16s... What's the reason for not going for 285s, since they would fit just fine? (I guess it has something to do with too much stress to the driveline/steering, to the engine, decrease in performance, fuel consumption?)
What difference in fuel mileage did you experience going to 265s from 235s or whatever you had on at the time?

EDIT: By the way, as to the 265/75-16s, are we talking about C-, D- or E-rated tires? Would the BFG AT KO 265/75R16/E be too stiff for the Trooper, or would it be alright at about 50 psi?

Last edited:

SRN

Adventurer
I set mine up to be a basic camping/Daily Driving rig. Sourced a factory LSD out of the junkyard, OME 219's in the rear and cranked the torsion bars up front for about 2" of lift. 245/75/17 Goodyear Duratracs. A few other odds and ends, but thats pretty much it. I've had it for just over a year now, and couldn't be happier with it. Great rigs right out of the box.

You can read my "build" thread over on RME.

SRN

Adventurer
Thanks! I'm on planetisuzoo too, and I've seen the consensus is for 265/75R16s... What's the reason for not going for 285s, since they would fit just fine? (I guess it has something to do with too much stress to the driveline/steering, to the engine, decrease in performance, fuel consumption?)
What difference in fuel mileage did you experience going to 265s from 235s or whatever you had on at the time?

EDIT: By the way, as to the 265/75-16s, are we talking about C-, D- or E-rated tires? Would the BFG AT KO 265/75R16/E be too stiff for the Trooper, or would it be alright at about 50 psi?

ANY tire will be stiff as hell at 50 psi :Wow1:, and wear the center right out of it. I run load rating E and it's fine. 32 psi seems to be the sweet spot for me on the highway. Tires wear evenly and it doesn't feel squirrely.

jeffryscott

ANY tire will be stiff as hell at 50 psi :Wow1:, and wear the center right out of it. I run load rating E and it's fine. 32 psi seems to be the sweet spot for me on the highway. Tires wear evenly and it doesn't feel squirrely.

yup, 50 is way too much pressure. I run 32 to 36, and I think the Michelins are E rated. With an auto transmission, 285s are potentially too much stress, aside from that, mileage may suffer a bit, as would power. My only concern would be the transmission since mine is an auto. With a five speed, if you found a deal on some craigslist tires I would give them a try.

LJinLA

Observer
Usually with E rated tires featuring a max pressure of 80 psi there's a warning not to go below 45 psi, because it could result in dangerous behavior, but I have heard of others running them at around 30-34 psi as you say on jeeps, etc.
Scott Brady has some posts somewhere on this site where he states that a 2nd/3rd gen Trooper with manual transmission will actually gain in fuel economy when using a tall, skinny tire such as the 235/85R16...I think he reported something like 18-20 mpg, if I remember correctly.

Guys, is there a place online where I can download the service manual for my '94 Trooper? I have the one for the 3rd gen ('98 to '02), but haven't been able to locate a free download for the 2nd gen. I need to start replacing fluids/doing reg maintenance soon. If you could provide a link, it would be much appreciated.

SRN

Adventurer
Usually with E rated tires featuring a max pressure of 80 psi there's a warning not to go below 45 psi, because it could result in dangerous behavior, but I have heard of others running them at around 30-34 psi as you say on jeeps, etc.

In all my years working on cars, I've never heard that once. Vehicles that come from the factory with load rating E tires (like 100-series TLC's) recommend running them in the 30's. I'd go off what the manufacture says is safe for the vehicle rather than just straight off the tire.

Scott Brady has some posts somewhere on this site where he states that a 2nd/3rd gen Trooper with manual transmission will actually gain in fuel economy when using a tall, skinny tire such as the 235/85R16...I think he reported something like 18-20 mpg, if I remember correctly.

Tall and skinny will always help for fuel economy. Less rubber contacting the road means less friction meaning better milage. With my 245/75/17's I'm getting about 15-16 combined.

Guys, is there a place online where I can download the service manual for my '94 Trooper? I have the one for the 3rd gen ('98 to '02), but haven't been able to locate a free download for the 2nd gen. I need to start replacing fluids/doing reg maintenance soon. If you could provide a link, it would be much appreciated.

I bought a FSM off eBay. Wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. I seem to recall that there was a link over on Planet to some FSM's, but you'd have to search, it was rather old (2004ish I think).

LJinLA

Observer
Thanks, Stephen. BTW, I'm reading your thread on RME...your '94 Trooper looks great! White is my favorite color :)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I'd go with the 235/85r16 E at 40 PSI hwy 32 psi abound the city and about 18-20 psi trail. I've run that tire on a few trucks of similar weight with those pressures and its been a good setup. Good hwy mileage and enough deformation for most trails.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Paint the hood flat black with a spray can. You can do a really nice job if you take a few minutes to prep it. Ignore the roof for now. It may get covered up by a rack or something eventually. Otherwise I would paint the roof white it its going to be an expedition rig.

Can you put some Lordco seat covers over the front seats?

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Useful tools: the list is endless but I'd start with a good set of wrenches and sockets. There is a thread here somewhere on the best basic tools to carry.

Also make sure you have good recovery points front and rear.

Then get a good recovery strap, a good bottle jack, a shovel and a set of Maxtracks or similar sand ladders.

That should get you going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle