LL Bean

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I want to replace some of my wool and chamois shirts from LL Bean and I was wondering if they still sold a quality product? I haven't bought anything from them in years.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I order from Bean frequently, and have never had any issues quality. I still have Norwegian Sweaters from the mid eighties that are in great shape! Too bad I'm not...:sombrero:

Jacque

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I was thinking of taking the kids for a ride next week to Freeport and getting some stuff. I always liked their clothes and stuff. Nice to hear that their quality hasn't gone downhill like everyone elses.:coffee:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I bought some dress slacks from them last year, and they went back...the quality was pretty poor.

OTOH, I'm wearing LLBean jeans and a pullover shirt right now...

With them, if there is ANYTHING you don't like about their stuff, ever, you can get your money back, no hassles. Hard to go wrong like that.

kjp98TJ

Observer
they have an outlet store in portland, hit or miss for what they carry, but can score some good deals. also the new cabela's in scarborough. as far as customer service, we returned a broken fly rod last year, and got a store credit for $125. they had to look up when the rod was bought, in 1986. :)

gravelguy

Observer
I grew up near LL Bean and still remember when it was one store with creaky wooden floors not the sprawling campus it is today!

Unfortunately their quality has gone south somewhat.....In fact, they no longer make their signature "Beans" boots that they started the company on!!!:Wow1:

The upside, as already mentioned here, is that their customer service is second to none!

strap22

Observer
206044_2764_41

Select Item

TA43728
Boots $164.00
TA46745
Extra Liners $64.00
Scent Control/Thinsulate Liners $69.0
"made in Maine from top to sole"
Based on our original Maine Hunting Shoes, introduced in 1912
Waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex liners for comfort in any weather
200-gram Thinsulate Insulation for added warmth
More DetailsItem Not Yet Rated
Average Customer Rating
(5 out of 5)
Rating Snapshot (8 reviews)
5 stars 8 4 stars 0 3 stars 0 2 stars 0 1 star 0
8 of 8 (100%) customers would recommend this item to a friend.
Read Reviews (8)
Write a Review
Share this Product:

In fact they do still carry their Signature boot, just an updated version.
I assume this is the boot you are talking about. I have had mine for almost 20 years. I buy a lot from LLBean and have never had any problems. I returned a 5 year old shirt that the stitching came undone and they sent me a brand new one for free. I fully expected to pay for it and the only reason I sent it to them in the first place was they did not have it in the catalog anymore. Not sure how they were able to come up with my replacement but as far as I am concerned they will always have my business. They are one company I admire and the LLBean story is well worth reading for those that don't know the history of the company. It says a lot when you open the doors to a business and never even put a lock on the doors because you are always open. Leon understood customer service long before it became measurement of success.

gravelguy

Observer
You're right! My bad. After thinking about it further, I realized that they dont resole the boots anymore.....rendering the nice leather uppers useless. This happened to my dad pretty recently. I think his boots were as old as I am though (30ish)!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Bean certainly has a lot more imported stuff than it did 20 years ago, but they still maintain a level of quality in their store that you won't find in a Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc. As always, their customer satisfaction standards are at the very top of the totem pole. If you don't like it.....5 years from now....they'll refund your money 100% without any questions asked. Period.

Where the real "sweet action" starts is when you have a friend who works there and can get you goodies from the "E Store" (employees only). Major major major discounts on returned items....like 1000% off. :)

Spence

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
That is a good thing, I've heard that they pay well. Thinking of taking the kids up there for the day on Fri.:smiley_drive:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
You're right! My bad. After thinking about it further, I realized that they dont resole the boots anymore.....rendering the nice leather uppers useless. This happened to my dad pretty recently. I think his boots were as old as I am though (30ish)!

What's the date of that change? I had my 40 year old Bean boots re-soled last winter.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998