loaded gun in the glovebox?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I was having a discussion over lunch. My buddies premise is that it is legal to have a loaded gun stored in your glove box b/c it's an extension of your home. We are in PA. Does a concealed carry permit make a difference? Not interested in whether it's a good idea, only if it is legal and it what cirmumstance?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think it varies state to state. In general a big no go though.....a few states it may not be a problem but overall it will get you in trouble.

I would think a concealed permit would make a difference but I am only guessing....

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Of course its legal in Texas. Active September 2007 it falls under the "Castle Laws" which extend your rights to protection of your home to your vehicle.

That being said, it is always a good idea to get a CHL. You may know the laws in your own state, but you may not be as familiar with the laws in other states, and are better protected with a CHL in your wallet. There are reciprocity rules and arrangements between CHL states.

Details here.

More details here.

DaveM

Explorer
I don't believe there is any such thing as an extension of residence. In your vehicle, beyond your driveway, you are in public space not private. The glove box, if locked may be a suitable storage place for transporting a firearm. If unlocked it would amount to concealing a weapon IMO.

Edited to add: Texas and Alaska not withstanding ; )

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
100% legal in Utah with or without a CWP. A little bit of the west still lives here.

You need to be extremely careful with the reciprocity of other states. For instance some states don't recognized the CWP's of a neighboring state, while others do.

S

Street Wolf

I don’t believe there is any such thing as an extension of residence. In your vehicle, beyond your driveway, you are in public space not private. The glove box, if locked may be a suitable storage place for transporting a firearm. If unlocked it would amount to concealing a weapon IMO.

Perhaps in your state. However he was referring to Texas, which has the right idea.

DaveM

Explorer
Perhaps in your state. However he was referring to Texas, which has the right idea.

We cross posted; I was actually replying to the original poster not the one above me. I knew about the Texas law, not the Utah one though. I guess what I'm saying is in the absence of a specific state law granting that right, then no it is not an extension your home and therefore concealment.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I don’t believe there is any such thing as an extension of residence. In your vehicle, beyond your driveway, you are in public space not private. The glove box, if locked may be a suitable storage place for transporting a firearm. If unlocked it would amount to concealing a weapon IMO.

When I am in my vehicle I am indeed in private space. No different then my house surrounded by public land.

I'm not giving you an opinion that it is legal, I'm telling you that the State of Utah considers it legal, so while you feel it is 'concealing a weapon', we consider it protecting our rights ;)

"This will essentially allow anyone who can legally own a gun to have it with them in their car, business or house, loaded or unloaded,concealed or visible, without need for a concealed weapon permit. Only the car part is new, and this reflects practices in most states in the mountain west, and more than a dozen other states. Another dozen or more states have similar but not identical provisions. None of the states allowing this practice have any problems or history of endangering law enforcement officers in traffic stops or shoot-outs over road rage. Yes, bad guys already illegally carry guns in their cars in every state, and do attack cops, but the proposed law does not protect the criminals in any way."

If you would like to read more about the Utah particular law, its House Bill 78 of the 2009 General Session, passed.

DaveM

Explorer
When I am in my vehicle I am indeed in private space. No different then my house surrounded by public land.

I'm not giving you an opinion that it is legal, I'm telling you that the State of Utah considers it legal, so while you feel it is 'concealing a weapon', we consider it protecting our rights ;)
quote]

Please see my followup post above.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I can say that in CA it is not legal, locked/lockable or not. The wording of the law specifically excludes the glove box in asserting that handguns must be in a locked container while in a vehicle.
Where the laws get skewed is in an RV. When parked it is your domicile, so house laws generally apply. There are, in CA anyway, some caveats to this that I'm not familiar with enough to state.

The NRA publishes the abbreviated and concise laws for each state in a pamphlet. I'd look into seeing about getting a copy for each state that anyone might want to visit.

Layonnn

Adventurer

and LA, doesnt even have to be concealed either, and can be carried c0cked and locked.

el_jefe

The law in PA seems to be quite clear, google is your friend:

(a) Offense defined.-- (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes...firearms-not-to-be-carried-without-a-license/

If you read further, it can be carried in the vehicle unloaded.

It also appears that if you have a CCW permit, it would be legal to carry. But I would check with someone in PA to be certain.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/18/II/G/61/A/6109/licenses/

fowldarr

Explorer
Don't know about Nebraska (currently residing), but in Idaho, I believe that it could not be loaded or it was considered concealed. The easy solution was gun in the glovebox, clip in the pocket. I never got hassled about my loaded gun, just always told the officer there is a gun under the seat. It is loaded. It is holstered. Here is my concealed weapons permit along with my license. Had a couple ask me to step out of the vehicle, but that was just for their safety and did not effect the outcome of me driving too fast (I would have gotten the ticket anyway) :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Registration & Insurance

Regardless of what you do or do not do when it comes to carry in a vehicle, having a concealed permit, or whatever...

DO THIS:

Keep you weapons and vehicle papers/I.D. completely separate (like glove box & center console, you decide) in all your vehicles.

Practice and train yourself to NOT routinely get into the container holding a weapon if/when you are stopped by the cops.

Most people are not pulled-over often, and if you don't think about this and discipline yourself in advance you WILL do the wrong thing out of habit at the Wrong time.

This will make the cop's and your day much safer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle