Lockable Ratchet Straps?

sandalscout

Adventurer
I'm not sure if I'm simply not searching for the right term or if they just don't exist, but is anyone familiar with a lockable ratchet strap, or something that would work just as well? It'd be nice to be able to strap down things to my rack, but be able to leave it unattended for a while. I know most people would probably just cut them or whatever, so any other suggestions would be great as well.

Thanks!
Matt

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
You could use a long shank lock to stop the ratchet from being opened to release, but as you know, they can just cut the strap.
Although for short trips I just use ratchet straps to hold my ATVs on the trailer, I am 'building' a set-up that uses cables and the ratcheting binder mounts like you see on the sides of long haul trucks (for used with 3" or 4" straps). I'm making a lock for those, and the cable will be much more cut resistance and not effected by UV rays like the straps. This might be to bulky of a set-up for a rack.

There are also locking chain binders available, but again bulky for a rack.

Pacsafe has some pretty cool products and are always adding to their product line. Kind of pricey, but an on-line search can find some deals sometimes. http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

Although the cable is thin, there are tons of interlocking connections, so it would take a lot of cutting to get anything out. They fold up real small in their own pouch, and have a good system for cinching down to pull up the slack.

Maybe these straps: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=71

The backpack nets are pretty large: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=50

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:( Course, if somebody has time, anything can be stolen, so we try to limit the EASE with which, things can be LIFTED

There may be some militery straps that are lockable, but cost would be prohibitive

The best thing to do is go ahead and use your convient "straps" and figure a way to PADLOCK the WHOLE SYSTEM

IMGP0649-2.jpg

I use camloc straps to hold everything, then when I'm sET up in a base camp, I lock the VALUABBLE stuff with CABLE LOCKS, they're available in all camping outlets or aT AUTO stores

Again, when someone wants to steal something-they will, all we can do is make it DIFFICULT !!!

:gunt: JIMBO

sandalscout

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions, the PacSafe stuff looks cool. I had completely blanked out on running lockable cables through once stopped.. That's probably the easiest/cheapest solution.

Thanks!

bigredpigdriver

Adventurer
I made a cable and welded the ends, and I just run it thru everything. It is good cuz it keeps the "grab and run" types at bay...I am working on a locking caps for my cans now

sandalscout

Adventurer
Wow, thanks again, their are some really cool ideas here. Those SteelCores look nice. The shape of the SPT straps look like they might interface with a rack on both sides, or am I just looking at them wrong? Do they simply lock over themselves? Might just have to swing by REI soon.

aruss

I use master lock python locks for my surfboards. They are adjustable cables, so I use them in addition to regular straps when leaving my stuff alone and take them off when driving. Not as nice as the other things posted here, but a bit cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12