Locker or manual lockout hubs

Ozarkrambler

16k axel not available...won't fit on my truck.

The only axel with DCDL that will work with this truck is the one listed above. Exhaust and several other issues keep the 16k from being usable.

Ozarkrambler

I cant picture in my mind how much difference there is between 35 and 42 degree turning radius in actual use. Can anyone tell me, what the turning radius in degrees would be for the F550? I can find the info in feet, but not degrees. Or what the formula would be to calculate it. That would give me an idea of how maneuverable this truck might be compared to my existing camper I built on the 550.

Ozarkrambler

Disregard my last post....I forgot we did the DBL severe duty conversion on my F550 and I cant remember what axel we used in that. With everything under the front end being replaced I'm sure it differs in turning radius from factory issue .

1stDeuce

Explorer
To give some idea of turning radius, your stock non-driving front axle likely had a turn angle of 50-55°. Dropping to 35° is a big increase in turning radius. I suspect the truck I drove with the Howe-Coleman front axle was limited to no more than about 30°. It was AWFUL to maneuver... Limiting to 35° will definitely be a big change from the 2wd axle, but most modern 4x4's steer between 37 and 42°. '99-'04 super duty Fords were deemed awful, and probably hit the low 30's...

If you're stuck using the 17k axle for fitment, then you get what you get I guess.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I see now, the lighter axles with better steer angle have a ~10" offset front diff... I don't know what "other issues" there are, but if moving the exhaust is the big one, I'd move it, especially if the offset diff allowed a slightly lower ride height. Centered diff axles typically used in really heavy trucks. Even the factory 4x4 international trucks use an offset diff front axle...

There is also a Meritor MX-130 axle that offers lighter loads, higher steer, and a centered diff... Might be a possibilty...

Good luck with whatever you do!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior