Locking it down

MichaelW

Observer
I drove my new trailer home some 400 miles and drove around town all without having my empty bottles secured in the trailer other than gravity and friction. It held really well I might add.

But I knew that with the price of gas and availability of clean drinking water, not to mention some really nice containers, I'd be far better off keeping the honest people honest and lock down my containers.

I also read where people had discussed how they secure their trailers once they are disconnected and at camp. so I headed off to the local home center with a mission in mind.

I found some 5' bicycle styled locks that could easily be combo'd alike and used them to secure my containers down, plus lock my spare in place. Since they are all similar I could also daisy chain them together and lock my trailer to a tree or something similar.

Well here are some pictures.

tr-mod1-00.jpg

tr-mod1-01.jpg

tr-mod1-02.jpg

canucksafari

Adventurer
A heavy chain (of course inside some heater hose) and a heavy duty pad-lock will do you better. A small bolt cutter will go through those cables like a hot knife through butter. I think another concern of mine would be to have locking caps. A thief who is ticked off that he can't get your fuel or water may just be tempeted to contaminate it.

MichaelW

Observer
canucksafari said:
A heavy chain (of course inside some heater hose) and a heavy duty pad-lock will do you better. A small bolt cutter will go through those cables like a hot knife through butter. I think another concern of mine would be to have locking caps. A thief who is ticked off that he can't get your fuel or water may just be tempeted to contaminate it.
I do agree 100%. On both counts.

But I also have a soft top on my Jeep and reality is that someone will take whatever they want given enough determination and drive. Or like you said will contaminate the containers. If someone is going by with bolt cutters they will more than likely have a hack saw or a battery powered angle grinder and be able to take the containers anyway. I'll use my rubber tube grips to tighten down the lids to make it more than hand tight to stop the casual contaminator. But again I'm only keeping honest people honest. I don't think it's possible to thwart all would be thieves or trouble makers. ;)

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I agree, if you have pro's coming for your trailer, you will walk out to find... no trailer.

I think a simple deterant will keep people from just lifting them out around town. I say call it a day.

Just my .o2

Rezarf <><

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Is that fellow "Abrasive Saw Man" or some-such still running around loose over there? That was about the funniest & most ironic thing I'd read in quite a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online