Lok47's 2003 4Runner - All Purpose Hauler

Lok47

Observer
All good things must come to an end. That includes the ownership of my 1999 Tacoma, which I purchased in 2006 right after I graduated college. It was completely stock and spent it's life as my DD, hauling bikes to various trails/tracks, mountain bikes, dogs and various other activities. As my career progressed, it became the third vehicle for my wife and eventually became the weekend utility vehicle for us.

Well, priorities are changing and we're expecting our first child. Since my current DD is a Volvo hatchback, the spare Tacoma needed to make way for a baby seat carrying, motorcycle hauling, weekend Home Depot going vehicle. I ended up finding a 2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 in Flagstaff with 177k miles that drove nicely and appeared to run very well. It was a bit rough on the outside as the bumpers were discoloring and the interior was a bit dirty from hauling road and mountain bikes on the inside. I made an offer and got the vehicle for less than what I sold my Tacoma for.

I ended up pulling off the rocket panels as my first order of business, since I kept kicking it on my way into the truck. I was a bit under budget when purchasing this SUV, I decided to splurge and pick up an ARB bumper from Wil @ Sierra Expeditions. The customer service was excellent and will call delivery came within a week. I'm definitely going to be doing more business with those guys! :) As I began tearing in the bumper, it dawned on me this was the first modification I've ever done to a 4 wheeled vehicle. I've modified a ton of my bikes in the past, but never a car or trunk. I guess an ARB Bull Bar is a good place to start!

For the bike hauling end of the business, I found an used MX Ultimate Hauler on Craigslist. If anyone needs to haul a dirtbike on a hitch, this is the way to go! It's super easy to load the bike up. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

So, this is a build thread for my 4Runner. It will serve the following purposes:

1) Getting the family and dogs outdoors
2) Hauling my motorcycles to trails and tracks
3) Road trip vehicle/exploring the sights of the Southwest

Next items of business:

1) New headlights (I found one of them had broken mounts), they've been ordered and are on their way! ~DONE!
2) 2" Lift: Maybe OME or Ironman?
3) Seat covers
4) Roof rack basket or some sort
5) Sliders maybe

That's a start so we'll go from there!

Attachments

• stocker.jpg
    stocker.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 4Runner.jpg
    4Runner.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 43
  • arb in progress.jpg
    arb in progress.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 39
  • arb1.jpg
    arb1.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 37
  • arb2.jpg
    arb2.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 39
  • mx hauler.jpg
    mx hauler.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice build! I'm seeing more and more "built" 4th gens, it's nice to see. My only gripe with the 4th gen is the sucky electronic 4wd controls but the power, economy, size and AWD capability make up for that. They also look nice with a bit of lift and armor.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I love it! Essentially the same setup/purpose as my build. Im super jealous of the bike, my XR250 is fat and slow, but still makes me grin every time. I like those hitch haulers, but ended up buying a $200 Harbor Freight trailer so I could haul two bikes and gear to Moab for a yearly trip. Good luck with the build, ill be following to see your progress.

Also, I just put Bilstein 5100 on mine, which gave it 2.5" lift in front with stock springs, and then put a 1.5" spacer in the back to level it out, and I love the setup. The parts were just over $400 shipped and it was totally worth it. You may also benefit from an FJ spring swap since you have extra weight up front with the ARB.

Lok47

Observer
I love it! Essentially the same setup/purpose as my build. Im super jealous of the bike, my XR250 is fat and slow, but still makes me grin every time. I like those hitch haulers, but ended up buying a $200 Harbor Freight trailer so I could haul two bikes and gear to Moab for a yearly trip. Good luck with the build, ill be following to see your progress.

Also, I just put Bilstein 5100 on mine, which gave it 2.5" lift in front with stock springs, and then put a 1.5" spacer in the back to level it out, and I love the setup. The parts were just over $400 shipped and it was totally worth it. You may also benefit from an FJ spring swap since you have extra weight up front with the ARB.

Those XRs are super reliable though, so you really can't go wrong with it. The CRFX series is good, but not quiet legendary status like your XR. I'll look into the FJ spring swap, I've never really thought about it and kind of just passed up on it anytime I saw a thread post about that particular mod.

Lok47

Observer
I got my new headlights in today. I can't wait to install them Saturday! Hopefully i can fix the rattling coming from the metal trim piece beeath each of the headlights.

Lok47

Observer
I installed a new set of headlights and everything bolted up pretty easy. While I was in there I was able to replace a few bolts and eliminate some squeaking coming from the bodywork. I had some super shoddy General Ameritrac tires in 245/70R17 on all fours and a mismatch spare, so I picked up a used set of 275/70R17 just to try them out before buying a new set. They fit great without a lift and will look a bit better after I do OMEs all around.

Attachments

• new headlights and bfg at.jpg
    new headlights and bfg at.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 19

Lok47

Observer
So after installing the ARB, i noticed the braking performance was pretty bad as the factory suspension is probably around 179k miles old. I ended up ordering a set of OME Heavy Springs for the front and mediums for the rear paired with Nitrocharger Sport shocks all around. I had them installed and noticed a HUGE improvement in overall braking performance as well as improved ride and handling. I'm pretty happy with the OME setup and glad I went this route instead the IronMan route.

Attachments

• 4Runner_OME.jpg
    4Runner_OME.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 22

daPitbull

Adventurer
Nice build! I'm seeing more and more "built" 4th gens, it's nice to see. My only gripe with the 4th gen is the sucky electronic 4wd controls but the power, economy, size and AWD capability make up for that. They also look nice with a bit of lift and armor.
Agree, but get a Lefty and you'd take care of that problem.

Lok47

Observer
I got a chance to put the suspension with a basic load test by loading up my MX hauler and CRF250X and heading to the motocross track. The medium rear springs handled the additional weight of the bike and gear really well. The overall ride quality of the shock and spring combination were really good and held up very well. I would definitely recommend this lift. Compared to the same load on the stock setup, it felt much more stable and wallowed much less when hitting bumps in the asphalt and the washboard dirt road heading up to the track. The next test will be off road! More to come....

Attachments

• 4Runner_OME-ACP.jpg
    4Runner_OME-ACP.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12