"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That I'm not 100% sure about, but if you'd like to research it my setup consists of the Thule Rapid Aero 43" load bars with Thule Rapid Podium 460R towers. I also have the Fit Kit 3101 to go with the stock rack tracks that my 4Runner had. I'm sure there are options for how to attach this to your truck similar to what Yakima offers. The crossbars are actually similar in color to your stock roof rack, as well.

I would need at least a 64" crossbar, it's going across the bed of the truck. I'll look into their mounting system though.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Didn't think about that! Well.. I tried! I was impressed with the quality of the rack, though. Definitely worth a look!

Thanks for the offer though, I'm checking out what thay have.

I found an ad on CL for some control towers with some fairly narrow bars for $60. Totally worth it to me, as a set of new towers costs $190!

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer though, I'm checking out what thay have.

I found an ad on CL for some control towers with some fairly narrow bars for $60. Totally worth it to me, as a set of new towers costs $190!

I scavenged eBay and other sites on the net for my rack. It was $500ish from Thule and I got the whole thing for under $250 I believe! Only used parts were the bars which looked brand new.

Allof75

Pathfinder
If there's an REI near you, see when their next members' used gear sale is. They always have tons of racks for cheap at mine.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hopefully that's worth it :)

No luck at any of the pawn shops unfortunately, but a couple updates.

I am no longer in doubt at all about the strength of the Yakima Control Tower/crossbar system. I went down to the local sporting goods place and took a look at their Yakima display. Good lord is their stuff ever stout. The Control Towers are plastic on the outside, but they are a metal construction underneath. They are really well made, and the fit and finish is fantastic. The crossbars are hell for stout. Seriously, they are like 1/8"-3/16" steel tubing. I feel like it would take a serious blow from a rather large sledgehammer to put a dent in them. It's definitely strong enough, so I've started ordering parts.

EDIT: All parts bought. It's kind of an expensive system (over $300!!!) but it certainly is worthwhile.

Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
While the Yakima or Thule setup looks stout, Yakima has a 300 lb MAX weight rating. I have that on my Dakota both the cab and on my topper. From talking to Yakima, CVT RTT and a local shop that specializes in Yakima/Thule setups and installs, 300 lbs really is the limit, while they may for a brief period of time support more than that, they also have a higher failure rate above that point. Yes, there are people who are doing this, from talking to these folks, they would not trust it for long. They have seen them fail, and in a couple of cases people have been injured from placing RTT's on there and then having them fail while asleep.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
While the Yakima or Thule setup looks stout, Yakima has a 300 lb MAX weight rating. I have that on my Dakota both the cab and on my topper. From talking to Yakima, CVT RTT and a local shop that specializes in Yakima/Thule setups and installs, 300 lbs really is the limit, while they may for a brief period of time support more than that, they also have a higher failure rate above that point. Yes, there are people who are doing this, from talking to these folks, they would not trust it for long. They have seen them fail, and in a couple of cases people have been injured from placing RTT's on there and then having them fail while asleep.

Interesting that you say that, as I have searched high and low for reports of this and haven't been able to find any. Many build threads and several websites advocate mounting in this fashion. Box Rocket has had his RTT set up on Thule load bars for several years without fail. This thread, which includes input from Scott Brady, several ExPo and OJ contributors, and Mike S. from Autohome USA, includes a detailed discussion about RTT mounting, and in most circumstances it is suggested to mount your RTT to a set of Yakima or Thule load bars. CVT actually recommends this method on its website, as does Autohome, ARB, Tepui, and Bundu Gear (who sells Howling Moon). Also consider that they are rated for a certain dynamic load, while their static load capacity is much greater because the load isn't moving around. Any and all failures I have heard of have occurred when someone mounted their RTT to a Yakima/Thule rack which was mounted to a fiberglass truck cap. In those instances, it was actually the cap that failed, not the rack. Also consider that when stopped and set up, part of the weight is being held by the ladder from the tent.

While I am not saying you're wrong, I hear a lot about this setup working out great and almost nothing at all about it failing. I DO plan to use 3 load bars to be extra cautious, but after actually looking at them and doing lots of research on his very issue, I don't feel very worried. I am using the Yakima crossbars, which are very strong, the Control Towers, which are strong, and the #7 Landing Pads, which bolt to the truck directly instead of utilizing a track system, which I feel is weaker.

I do appreciate your input on this, please do not mistake my response for me being a ********.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Pryor Mountains Exploration, June 2014

It appears this thread will be a lot more "adventure" and less "build". Oh well, that's still fun, right?

Last Thursday I was sent on a mission to take photos of a house by my fiance (who sells insurance) in the mountains to the southwest. I used the opportunity to spend the afternoon exploring. The GPS app on my phone took me a really weird route that wound through arid scrublands and cattle ranges. Along the way I found this old stone oven. No idea what it's used for, but it sure was interesting.

I continued towards the mountains, through what looked like a desert landscape.

Eventually I made it to the foothills.

After a few hours of looking around, I made my way up the mountain to a large cave, filled with perpetually frozen water.

Took a quick look around and headed farther up the mountain to see the sights. The roads out here were full of large, jagged rocks that would sneak up on you if you weren't paying attention. It was not a tire-friendly environment, but my General AT2s held up fantastically well.

After a few hours of exploring, I made my way back down. Never did find the house, but I sure did see some great sights. This was my favorite.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Beartooth Mountains Exploration, June 2014

man that looks great out there.

Oh, those are the boring mountains. Yesterday I went to the real mountains. :D

These are the Beartooth Mountains of Montana and Wyoming. I had been tapped to do an article about camp cooking for a local magazine, so I drove out to a campsite about 90 minutes from my house to do some cooking and take some photos.

First thing I did was make some lunch!

After lunch, I made my way up Rock Creek Road, deeper into the Beartooth Mountains. This isn't a difficult road by any means, but certain sections do require you to pick a line. The main reason for this road, though, is the view.

After I found the end of the road, I made my way back to the highway. Outside Red Lodge, the road wanders it's way up the mountains to a plateau that tops out at 10,947 feet. This stretch of highway, known as the Beartooth Pass, winds its way through the tundra straddling the Montana-Wyoming border. This exact route was traversed back in 1872 by Civil War general Philip Sheridan on the way back from an inspection tour of Yellowstone. This road has been touted as one of the most beautiful stretches of highway in the United States, and I would have to agree. The Frontier handled it like a champ.

The road you can see on the opposite side of the valley in this photo is Hellroaring Road, which is a rather rough trail that works it's way up to the plateau across the valley from the Pass. It is a trail that I keep trying to get to the top of, but haven't made it yet.

This is the valley I was driving up earlier in the day.

Oh, and you folks from California? This is what real snow looks like.

Yep, it's mid June. Yep, that's fifteen feet of snowpack.

Once you crest the top of the Pass, you are greeted with a view that goes on for miles. This is looking south towards Wyoming and Yellowstone Park.

I am so lucky that I only live about two hours from this view.

This is looking north, into Montana.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior