"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

aausmana

Adventurer
Made the mistake of trying to back into my garage with the canopy window open. Sooooo a new rear window assembly (including frame) has been ordered. Hopefully it gets here before my trip on the 5th. Luckily the replacement is only $300, and I had some money come in from selling a few photos. I'm just irritated I'll lose my NW Overland Rally sticker. Rats.

There's something I'll never do again. :rolleyes:

Ouch, that sucks! At least it is a fairly easy replacement.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good news! And bad news.

Updates are coming soon. The last few days have been hectic and I've not been able to complete any of the updates that I wanted to. But I'm on spring break now, so I've got plenty of time.

The bad news is that I left on my spring break trip last night to go up to my parent's house. On the way, the truck started acting weird. The engine would suddenly shudder and surge for a split second, then go back to normal, but it was definitely down on power. That, and the needle on my tach wasn't steady. It would jump around a few RPM here and there. I ran the code with my OBDII app, and sure enough, my crankshaft position sensor threw a code. Luckily, although my folks aren't currently here, my dad's truck is, so I can use that to go into Missoula where (thankfully) AutoZone has one on the shelf for me. The bright side is that the sensor itself is only $24 and replacing it is fairly easy.

I have read that the crank sensor will usually precede the cam sensors by a few months. Hopefully, I don't have that happen on this trip and I can just replace them when I get back to Billings, Unfortunately a set of those will be around $130 to replace. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
A couple small updates. First, I added some grip tape to my sliders to clean up the look. It came out pretty nice I think.

It's 3M Safety-Walk tape, I picked it up at Home Depot for around $12.

The next project was something I had been thinking about for a while. With a drawer system and a fridge in the back, and filled with a lot of irritation about how much dust had made it under the cap on my last off road adventure, I got a little... biblical. I took everything out of the bed aside from the compressor, including the drawer. Then I took a while and washed out the back. I actually climbed in and sprayed it out from the inside. I even took the time to scrape all the rocks and mud out of all the cracks.

Then I started sealing up all the gaps. I started with a cheap sponge in the big gaps, using chunks of it as a filler. On top of that, I used expanding spray foam to fill it in completely. The main gaps that needed taking care of were at the top of all 4 corners, and the gap at the bottom front of the bed. I filled the big gaps and cleaned off the excess as it was drying. The smaller gaps required some silicone. Well, I say "some". I bought a large tube of it to use in a caulking gun, and used just about all of it.

They're not the prettiest silicone lines in the world, but they seal it up pretty well. I also used a decent amount of extra weatherstripping on the tailgate. Overall, this seems to have fixed nearly all of the gaps. There's a couple minor spots, that I still need to fix, but overall I think this is going to go a long way towards fixing the dust and water ingress. My current trip is proving that it has made a huge difference.

More to come!

jhberria

Adventurer
.....does this mean you can now use the bed of the Frontier as a hot tub? Or keep live goldfish in it? Oh, the possibilities!

Good form with the textured tape on the sliders. I might be doing the same, soon.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
.....does this mean you can now use the bed of the Frontier as a hot tub? Or keep live goldfish in it? Oh, the possibilities!

Good form with the textured tape on the sliders. I might be doing the same, soon.

Brilliant! Guess I need to invest in the HD OME springs now.... :D

Yessir, it adds a nice touch I think. I took the time to round all the corners and cut out bits for the support tubing. It looks pretty clean.

skibum315

Explorer
Or keep live goldfish in it?
goldfish-shoes.png

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Spring Break 2016, Part 1

So this last week was spring break for me. No need to worry about school stuff, so I took some time off work to have a vacation with a friend of mine. I had thought my family was going to Florida this year, but it turned out that wasn't in the cards, so I went up north to visit my parents in my favorite northern Montana town, Seeley Lake.

I worked a closing shift on Saturday night, so we got the truck packed and ready to go that afternoon. After I left work, I went to pick up my friend Lucas, and we hit the road. We drove through the night, doing the usual route through Bozeman, Three Forks, Helena, and over McDonald Pass to Elliston. Once we passed Elliston though, the truck started acting weird. There was a lot of surging and jumping from the engine, and I was down on power. I checked for codes with my OBDII app, and sure enough, my crankshaft position sensor had bitten the dust. So I dropped my speed and nursed the truck the remaining 50 miles to Seeley Lake. Luckily it didn't completely stall on us. After we cruised into Seeley at 3:00 AM, we hit the beds, pretty exhausted.

I woke up the next morning and started calling places in Missoula, which is about an hour away, to find out if anyone had a crank position sensor in stock. After a few calls, I found an AutoZone that had it. I had them set the part aside for me, woke Lucas up, and grabbed the keys for my dad's F250. My parents were out of town at a Montana Aviation conference down in Helena, but luckily his truck was still there. So we stopped in town for some coffee before heading out to Missoula.

The drive in was uneventful, but not as nice as my Nissan would have been. I was suddenly acutely aware of how happy I was for spending what I had on my suspension. Anyway, we cruised into Missoula and went straight to the AutoZone there. $24 later and I had my crank position sensor. From there, we decided to get lunch, so we stopped at Bridge Pizza, an awesome local pizza joint serving some fantastic food and great local beers. We picked up a simple pepperoni pizza and headed back towards Seeley.

Once we got back into town, we decided to leave the repair until the next day so we could do some actual sightseeing. My favorite view in the valley is from the picturesque Holland Lake Lodge, which sits on the shore of Holland Lake under the shadow of the Swan Mountains. There was less snow on the ground than I expected, and it was fairly warm, so we spent a lot of time checking the place out and getting some photos.

At this point, it was starting to get a little dark, so we decided to call it a day and headed back to Seeley. That night was a simple dinner cooked at the house before heading to bed rather early.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The next morning, I woke up early and got the new crank sensor installed. This is one of the easiest jobs I've done on a car, although it is a bit cramped.

This is all you need. An impact for the wheel, a flathead screwdriver for pulling out the clips, a Philips head for the inner fender screws, a 10mm socket for the sensor, a wobble socket, a long extension, and a ratchet. You'll probably want a flashlight too.

I had kind of an interesting place to work, right beside this thing in my dad's garage/hangar.

Anyway, you need to pull the inner fender out. From there, it's really easy to access the sensor.

Then the job is fairly simple. Just pull the boot back, pull the bolt out, and remove the old sensor. There are a couple heat shields around the sensor, so I'd recommend putting some tape on the edges to keep from cutting your hands up.

Then just install the new sensor with the bolt, and pull the boot down again. Reinstall inner fender and the wheel and you're off. Once I was done with that job, I went for a test drive and all was well. I got back in time to greet mom and dad as they arrived at home. We got a chance to stop and chat for a while, which was really nice as I don't get to see my parents as often as I'd like. After a little chatting, Lucas and I decided to go back to Holland Lake and hike up to the picturesque Holland Falls. It was a great hike and strangely devoid of snow and ice on the trail.

It's a great hike, and fairly short. An easy one to do in an afternoon.

Not a bad way to get the blood flowing for the day. I never get tired of hiking to Holland Falls, or going to Holland Lake. I really want to take a horseback ride there sometime soon. After getting back down from the hike, we headed back to the house, making a beer stop on the way. Some great local brews up there!

My mom made some burgers for dinner, which was a great end to the day. We spent the remainder of the evening talking and watching some old episodes of Top Gear before tiredly crawling off to bed.

jhberria

Adventurer
Man, I need to get to Montana. Great photos, as always, and glad you got the sensor replaced.

Also.....your father has a plane? Put in a good word for me with him, will you? I've got some big plans, and the only missing piece is a fully functioning aircraft. Don't ask questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998