Long distance off-road capable moto hauler…

neduro

Surprising. How thick is the sheet metal? In some pics it looks like like 1/4" plate

The deck is more like 1/8th (forget the gauge offhand), but I supported often with square tube to hopefully avoid too much bending. The aluminum skin is mostly .063, with the back door .080 since they were out of .063, and the front .050 for the same reason.

neduro

So, it's done. Sorta. Like all projects of this nature, there will be some tweaks left to accomplish for a while.

i-pnmKRDd-X4.jpg

i-WJBrBgc-X4.jpg

i-XcRxg4w-X4.jpg

i-gSKdts4-X4.jpg

If anything, the truck rides better than it did before- it's about 1" of sag from having no bed at all on.

Next step is getting a roof rack on the truck cab to put my RTT on. Can anyone comment on options beyond Thule/ Yakima/ Rhino?

mutineer

Jesus Ned,
I'm just gonna say it
When you do ******** like this, I just get so hot for you
Wicked cool project

neduro

Mutt! FYYFF!

So I'm about 6k miles into using this thing and overall, I'm very happy.

i-kgfrF5s-X4.jpg

It is a joy to load and unload, and just as I hoped, having effectively 3x the tailgate area is 3x as useful when you are cooking or getting dressed or etc. There's a bit of wind noise from between the cab and the box, I'm going to install my RTT this weekend and I hope that fixes it.

A few things I think other RAM owners would be interested in.

1) The onboard computer lies about fuel economy, always overstating. My last trip, to the mountains above Fresno and back last weekend, was 3kish miles and I hand calculated each tank. Best was 17.2 (computer said 18.5), worst was 13.9 (computer said 15.4, 85mph on cruise into a headwind). I didn't sum the whole trip, but I'd say it gets ~16 overall, making no attempt whatsoever to conserve and driving on western interstates at the limit + 6. Unless the limit is 80 mph, in which case, +5 because the nanny cruise says no mas.

2) I ran into an engineer who left Cummins last year, and we had a fascinating chat about deleting and so on. When the truck is doing regen, it injects 4x more fuel into the exhaust than into the engine. He said 4-5mpg overall is a decent guess, although it will vary by use. He also said they spent a huge amount of time trying to avoid DEF, but couldn't meet the mandates without it, even with crazy high injection pressures and so on.

3) I'm curious for information about front bumpers. I planned on building a minimal front pushbar to mount the 30" Onyx from Baja Designs, but then I stalled because I can't figure out how I want to design/ attach it. I don't want a winch, I don't want some of the more cyborg looking things out there- Are there any bumpers that maintain the stock parksense? I'm not even sure where to look beyond 4WP... recommendations sought!

The list of projects remaining is long- wheels, tires, suspension, fabbing under-mount boxes, more tie downs inside, etc etc etc. At least it is usable so it has entered a more enjoyable/ elective phase of work!

Gummee

wannabe traveler
Hey Ned: the only thing better would have been if you'd put a top on that thing that you could stand up in ala a Habitat or the other new AL tops.

Extend the front to overhang the cab, then put a bed in the front with the flip? No need for a RTT

M

neduro

Flatbed OVRLND would be awfully cool.

https://campovrlnd.com

Neat product! I'm psyched to see the latest crop (Go Fast, etc) of topper campers, they make a ton of sense to me. However, one issue I have is not wanting to sleep with motos and their attendant fuel smells, etc.

As I built this, I was thinking of putting either a flat RTT (James Baraud or similar) on top of it, or making my own. But I don't want the bed to get too much higher than it is now, really nice to be able to pull into my garage.

The first draft at RTT mounting (on a roof rack) had some noise issues. I'm working on that, more to come soon on that front.

Clutch

<---Pass
Neat product! I'm psyched to see the latest crop (Go Fast, etc) of topper campers, they make a ton of sense to me. However, one issue I have is not wanting to sleep with motos and their attendant fuel smells, etc.

As I built this, I was thinking of putting either a flat RTT (James Baraud or similar) on top of it, or making my own. But I don't want the bed to get too much higher than it is now, really nice to be able to pull into my garage.

The first draft at RTT mounting (on a roof rack) had some noise issues. I'm working on that, more to come soon on that front.
I think if you vented it like an enclosed trailer to push the fumes out as you drive along should be ok. That and drain the float bowl on carbed bikes, FI bikes don’t really smell. Keep the Jerry cans for the bikes on the outside of the truck, or even do a Transfer Flow tank at the front of the flat bed with the camper built up to it. That way you don’t have to mess with Jerry cans at all when filling up the bikes. Carb compliant cans don't smell either.

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800109417

Only concern might be, if there are fumes, the foam mattress absorbing the odor. Maybe if you wrapped it in plastic it may be ok?

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer

There is a guy on youtube that built a van "bugout moto" I think,anyway,as I remember it, he has a moto cover that has charcoal to contain the odors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78