Long Jeep.....chasing unicorns

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
sorry i missed that. good deal though - it sounds like you have a pretty solid view of what you want to do. are you decided on the 5.3 for your power train?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
sorry i missed that. good deal though - it sounds like you have a pretty solid view of what you want to do. are you decided on the 5.3 for your power train?

I'm pretty set on the 5.3 since it makes the 6l80 transmission pretty dang easy. If I found the right deal on a 6.0/6.2 I would think about it, but I think most of those came with the 6l90 also. I think the 5.3 will be enough with the deeper axle gearing I have in mind. I'm not looking for a rocket ship, just something a little more fun than most stock SWB engines....4.0, 3.8, 3.6, etc.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Don't you have to buy the cowl in addition to the tub on the landcruiser stuff though? That makes a complete 'tub' about 7100.00 for a stretched fj40. The cj8 bobbed tub which basically comes with the front cowl/firewall in one-piece is only $4200ish?

That would make the landcruiser about 40% more expensive for about the same thing?

I didn't notice that, but I don't doubt you've spent more time talking money with Aqualu than I have. I got the 3rd body he ever made way back in '92. I think I paid around $1000 or $1500 for it, and I had a bunch of custom stuff done, like built in speaker boxes and a tool box/rifle locker combo. I'm way out of touch on current prices.

yossarian19

Observer
I've been reading this thread on Tapatalk for days - haven't finished it yet -
My vote is for a not-running SJ with a 2" lift, 33" tires on 44s, lockers, 6.0 Chevy Generation IV motor with 4L80E or 6LxxE.
Building a whole custom frame & suspension seems needless to me. Especially when the SJ will give you all the off road most of us will ever need and it comes with the body, suspension etc already assembled. Easy parts, too - they made them for 29 years.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've been reading this thread on Tapatalk for days - haven't finished it yet -
My vote is for a not-running SJ with a 2" lift, 33" tires on 44s, lockers, 6.0 Chevy Generation IV motor with 4L80E or 6LxxE.
Building a whole custom frame & suspension seems needless to me. Especially when the SJ will give you all the off road most of us will ever need and it comes with the body, suspension etc already assembled. Easy parts, too - they made them for 29 years.
"
Sorry, 33's won't come even close to cutting it for me. On a 4000-5000lb vehicle I need generally a 37" tire or larger to get the flotation I need in the deep snow.

I dig on the FSJ stuff a lot, but the body is just too bulky with a little too much butt hanging off the back. I do like that most of the FSJ stuff had a nice flat belly for the most part. The parts are decent quality, but more like heavy half ton if that. I will be needing more like 3/4 ton of light one ton stuff, espeically in the axles.

I'm not really coming from the mild 4 wheeling aspect of things. I am coming from the more hard core end and trying to keep off road performance while adding a little more highway ability and/or camping ability.

mbryson

Observer
Any news from Aqualu on the tub yet? Just packed my Jeep for Rubicon later this week and am wishing I had stretched my YJ tub now. :D Love your ideas and subscribe to your same "build it strong" philosophy. (nevermind the daily driver JKU in the foreground :D)

The below will work for the trip, but it's top heavy and hard to see around.
IMG_1135-sml.JPG

IMG_1138-sml.JPG

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Any news from Aqualu on the tub yet? Just packed my Jeep for Rubicon later this week and am wishing I had stretched my YJ tub now. :D Love your ideas and subscribe to your same "build it strong" philosophy. (nevermind the daily driver JKU in the foreground :D)

The below will work for the trip, but it's top heavy and hard to see around.

How many people are you taking on the trip? I'm guessing since you have the rear seat in and open its 3 or 4?

Honestly I think most Jeeps, even long wheelbase versions are good vehicles for 1-3 people if they pack LIGHT. It's really tough to just take less and leave some space open. That is what needs to happen though for the most part.

mbryson

Observer
How many people are you taking on the trip? I'm guessing since you have the rear seat in and open its 3 or 4?

Honestly I think most Jeeps, even long wheelbase versions are good vehicles for 1-3 people if they pack LIGHT. It's really tough to just take less and leave some space open. That is what needs to happen though for the most part.

Myself and two kids. We're downsizing for this trip (Rubicon) from a travel trailer. Tent, pads and bags are in the container. Tools/spares are already in the Jeep. Packing clothes, food and water in every place I can dream up.

Hoping to do hole-in-the-rock this fall. Another two night trip (likely have the JKU and two other people along for that trip)

Like you, I rarely use a spare, but am going far enough I think I should carry one. Leaving spare shafts, drive lines, and leaf springs on the trailer.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Well, just got of the phone with Aqualu.....

The short version. The tub I want will cost me about $4575 (plus shipping)

That was for a somewhat basic LJ length tub with TJ style windshield, TJ shape cowl, and TJ door openings. The rear tubs would be raised to the body line.

If I have it shipped it's about $700. If I have them bring it to EJS next spring I get it delivered for free. That is a big savings for me on this build.

Thoughts?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Go for the savings and put that $700 towards the build. You wouldn't have it built before then anyway.

That is my general thinking. I might get busy building the frame once I know the body is on the way IF I can get enough dimensional info to make it work. I can always get most of the brackets cut and start to build the sub assemblies too, prep other parts, etc. I do hesitate to build the frame without having the body ( with a front clip ) in hand and mocked up to measure a few dozen things.

$700 doesn't sound like a huge amount of money to some people, but to me on a build like this it is. That is basically a locker, or a tire, or some gears, a shock or three, etc.

They have something like 90+ bodies on order right now so it might take that long anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179