Longest trip in a JKU?

just eric

Adventurer
Just curious what is the longest trip you've taken in a JKU. The wife and I are in the process of contemplating a change from our 2012 JKUR to a 4runner TE. The reasons being that the Jeep doesn't have the storage capacity, payload capacity, and comfort of the 4runner for longer (week long - think WA to CA...) trips. I can argue with her about the comfort aspect because I really enjoy riding in the Jeep (front seats only :)) but the payload and overall cargo room comes down to numbers. That being said, we've never maxed out the cargo space yet but with the baby I don't think it would be too hard.

Thoughts?

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
I've driven from Kansas City to Rapid City and to Moab. The Rapid City trip was done towing a 3,000 pound pop up. We were plenty comfortable abs had two kids in the back seat. They never complained.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

sbly

Observer
We just did 6,141 miles in two weeks, Seattle to the Arctic Ocean and back.

sbly

Attachments

• Acrtic Circle, AK.jpg
    Acrtic Circle, AK.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Heading to Deadhorse.jpg
    Heading to Deadhorse.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0301.jpg
    DSCN0301.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 144

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
About 5k miles over 3-4 weeks in mine. Portland Oregon to Moab Utah, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Santa Maria Ca, Northern California, back up to Portland. We camped all but 3-4 nights. I do have a sleeping area on top but we had plenty of room for our stuff inside.
I think we could stuff a baby in there as well. We left the small rear seat out for standing room, and had one seat open still. We packed more than needed do as long as you don't go crazy it can be done. Probably not as comfortable as the 4 runner but it depends on whaty you're after.

null-127.jpg

null-159.jpg

null-183.jpg

null-108.jpg

Last edited:

wanabxtrm

Observer
We went from ca to nj when we moved. Can't remember how long it we took, but it wasn't quick as we had a 1 month old at the time and zigzagged abit. We had our dogs and a bunch of stuff in an older Cherokee also, but even so we would have been fine without it. We do have a Gobi rack, and a large Yakima rocket box, without those I'd probably complain about space, but doubt a 4runnerwould be significantly better.

As a side, Im pretty sure I've been to that spot on the Eel river (might be the klamath?) pictured above, though they all look alike in the end, not as nice as some of the smaller spots on the smaller rivers, but then you can't drive your jeep on those....

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
I'll put on 4-5k on my trip every summer. And while I did pick up a trailer this summer, space was never an issue before. In fact I've even reduced my available space with my soft top, and rear trunk/deck cover.

D

Deleted member 48574

So, perhaps it does not apply, but my reasoning is if I can do it in a 2 door, it would be a cakewalk in the Unlimited.

My wife, my dog, and myself did 6337.5 km over the course of 10 days (that's just shy of 4k miles).

We were traveling to Anaheim as I had to attend a conference, which means we were carrying a bit more stuff then we otherwise would be -- for instance I couldn't get by just on camp clothing; I had to appear presentable now and again!

We were pretty laden though -- she was a bit low in the back for a while due to the cargo carrier/bike combination.

39285_10100620013615749_1586560331_n.jpg

Cheers
Craig

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Would you be willing to tow a small trailer? That made all the difference for me. I have a little SX4 and me and my girlfriend and my dogs can go on week long camping trips with space to spare. And my trailer is less than 800#'s fully loaded up. We're planning a Canadian coast-to-coast trip next year and I have no worries about space.

If you need a backseat then I guess that changes things, but I don't think a 4runner would be a huge increase in space.

just eric

Adventurer
Glad to see it can and had been done. You all have some pretty taken some pretty cool trips.

Can't help but wonder if I am I the only one who worries about overloading the stated payload capacity?

D

Deleted member 48574

Glad to see it can and had been done. You all have some pretty taken some pretty cool trips.

Can't help but wonder if I am I the only one who worries about overloading the stated payload capacity?

Nope you aren't the only one! I just didn't have enough sense to think of it on that first trip. Now I am far more conscious about it.

In my case, that roof rack that held the tent was home made and weighed WAY too much, and that drastically ate into my payload.

With my new rig, I am always keeping in mind how much weight I am bringing along -- and not only how much, but also where it's located. For instance, 200 pounds in the back of the jeep might be fine, but stickout out on the basket adds a dimension of strain that needs to be thought about.

I think we are safe to go over stated payload by a small bit -- your suspension, tires, terrain, etc. will all have an impact on how much is safe -- but it is a number that should be kept in mind.

When in doubt, the Unlimited tows a trailer very, very well -- so if you need the space, I'd recommend that as an option as others already have. You should be able to tow 3500 pounds or so, which is PLENTY for most kinds of trips.

And finally -- those little baskets are very handy for adding a few extra cubic feet in an action packer. That one cost me $120 bucks and works great. It can/does eat into approach angles a bit but depending on your trip it may be a good option.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I wanna play, too! I just did three weeks from WA to AZ, Broken Arrow, Mojave Rd, Alvord Desert, Yosemite NP, Zion NP, and some other awesome places before returning to WA. I was in my fully loaded JKU and M416 on 37's. It handled the trip and all my gear LIKE A BOSS!

esa4ygun.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
As much as i love taking my JKU out on long trips i feel our stock 04 Runner does it better especially for the wife and baby. The 4 runner has more rear leg room, more comfortable seats, better insulation from sound and temperatures, more cargo room, cruises a lot better and can do it at higher speeds if your in a hurry.
But every road trip we plan, i always push to take the jeep because its just more fun.

longest ive driven the jku was from LA, CA to Moab, UT and back in 4 days. less then 2000 miles.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
We just did 6,141 miles in two weeks, Seattle to the Arctic Ocean and back.

sbly
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but that JK is awesome! What lift are you running and what is your tire size if you don't mind? I have the same model/color and plan on the same bumpers and rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears