Look what I got!

RichardT

Adventurer
My suspension finally came in, I've had it since Tuesday, but have been too busy with work and my nursing classes to even visit the forum. I'll be getting it put in this Sunday, I'll be doing it at a friends place, he's got all the suspension tools needed.

I ended up going with the heavy duty springs in the rear as I hope to make a storage system in the rear and will need the added weight capacity. I'm also looking forward to the alignment I'm gonna get Tuesday, as it is now, I can let the wheel go in a sharp sweeping left handed corner and just let it ride ;), I'm tired of fighting the wheel, but I knew I was getting the suspension, so I just waited.

From those of you who have done this upgrade yourselves, is there any advice you'd like to share?

Also, which direction do I crank the torsion bars to make them lift the front end?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327094834.073501.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327094834.073501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My suspension finally came in, I've had it since Tuesday, but have been too busy with work and my nursing classes to even visit the forum. I'll be getting it put in this Sunday, I'll be doing it at a friends place, he's got all the suspension tools needed.

I ended up going with the heavy duty springs in the rear as I hope to make a storage system in the rear and will need the added weight capacity. I'm also looking forward to the alignment I'm gonna get Tuesday, as it is now, I can let the wheel go in a sharp sweeping left handed corner and just let it ride ;), I'm tired of fighting the wheel, but I knew I was getting the suspension, so I just waited.

From those of you who have done this upgrade yourselves, is there any advice you'd like to share?

Also, which direction do I crank the torsion bars to make them lift the front end?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Haven't done those springs specifically but I have added 2" coil spacers to the rear springs and it was easiest to disconnect the pan hard rod when lowering the rear suspension to remove and replace the coil springs. Then when re-installing it, raise the assy. until the pan hard rod bolt holes line up.

For the torsion bars, it's easiest to use an air impact wrench. Then you simply raise the front end off the ground, tighten the nuts on the torsion bars and equal number of turns on both sides, lower the vehicle down and jump on the front bumper to try and settle the suspension and check that it's at the height you want. If not, raise and re-adjust the nuts.

If you're using hand tools then you first need to loosen the lower lock nut, then using a deep well socket or hand wrenches, tighten the upper nut to the desired suspension height. Once you're there, don't forget to re-tighten the lock nut.

Once you're done, go for a drive around the block making very aggressive l&r turns to allow the suspension to again 'settle in'.

As for the shocks, I believe those are like the KYB's which means they're pressurized and once you cut the plastic band compressing the shock it will want to expand. It's not easy to compress so don't cut the ties until you're ready to put them in place or you'll have a heck of a fun time compressing them, then letting them expand while you try to align them into into their mounting location.

HTH.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Actually, the OME shocks are weird. Well at least to me they are. At first I thought mine were defective because they would not uncompress on their own without me pulling on them. Then I quickly realized that the more you compress and uncompress them, the more they "charge/stiffen up" to specs. Hopefully that makes sense

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Actually, the OME shocks are weird. Well at least to me they are. At first I thought mine were defective because they would not uncompress on their own without me pulling on them. Then I quickly realized that the more you compress and uncompress them, the more they "charge/stiffen up" to specs. Hopefully that makes sense

Well that is weird, although my OEM adjustables which are made by KYB also did the same thing but they definitely work fine.

scrubber3

Not really here
NICE!!! I went with KYB, spring spacers rear and cranked front... Would rather have what you got, but I am doing my rig on a budget build. I like the challenge.

GrassCat

Adventurer
Turn the adjusting bolt clockwise to raise the truck after loosening the lock nut. Put a 17mm wrench on the top nut to stop it from turning. Count the number of turns and do both the same number, start with 10.

RichardT

Adventurer
Lifts it 2 inches. Allows you to load it more without droop as well.

IC.

Thanks for all the advice guys, did the install yesterday with a pal of mine in about 1.5 hours, everything went smooth, though the bottoms of those shocks are a pain to get in, and take a little "encouragement". This truck has had blown rear shocks since I bought it Nov of 2010, and WOW what a difference. No more old Cadillac feeling, this thing rides like a champ, not to mention the mild 1.25" lift. I'm loving this rig even more right now, I'm so glad I did the upgrade, rather than just buy oem shocks to replace the blown rears.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Let me help you guys out...

:ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero::ylsmoke::sombrero:

scrubber3

Not really here
LOL... the guy on the end needs a hamburger not beer.

Oh and a shirt. :)

And pants for that matter .. poor guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle