Looking at a new grand cherokee for DD use.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
My wife and I have been considering a new mid-size SUV to replace our 06 VW jetta as a daily driver. The lack of storage space and a flat floor make the VW pretty impractical nowadays. Three 65lb dogs fill up the jetta pretty quickly and leave no room for luggage or anything else.

We're looking at 2010-up grand Cherokees, Chevy tahoes and maybe Toyota 4runners. Trailblazers are not an option. My wife isnt crazy about the idea of owning a japanese vehicle so the toyota might get axed from the list of potentials. The Tahoe obviously offers more room, power, towing capacity, etc but daily driver fuel mileage is a factor. The new cherokees are more car-like than ever but that works for her. I doubt itll ever see more than the occasional dirt road, i never shied away from dirt roads with the jetta so now ill probably do a little more exploring than i used to. I've never owned an SUV smaller than my '89 suburban on 1-tons and 37s so I have zero experience with these vehicles. The off road capability of the new Cherokee isn't a concern as I've got the suburban for the rougher stuff. Anything is better than a VW, lol!

If anyone has any experience, good or bad, I'd like to hear it.

AZchris

Adventurer
I'm probably not the right person for this, but I bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee YESTERDAY. Drives and handles great. We liked it enough to drop some good money on it. Hope you get a better answer from someone who has had one for more than 30 hours.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
I'm probably not the right person for this, but I bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee YESTERDAY. Drives and handles great. We liked it enough to drop some good money on it. Hope you get a better answer from someone who has had one for more than 30 hours.

Haha, glad you like it! They seem like pretty solid vehicles.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I think the WK2 is a great option for a DD and occasional trail use....it will do both very well. It is based on the Mercedes ML350 chassis...I have a WK and love mine.

sickchilly

Observer
Just traded my JK Rubicon Unlimited in for a WK Limited CRD. Comfort, towing capacity and gas mileage became far more important to me than rock crawling over the past couple years. I've only just driven it home, but really think I'm going to love it. Trying to resist shopping for mods already!

jfein

I have a '04 WJ and my wife just picked up a 2014 grand limited with the tow and offroad packages. Driving hers is great and I'm glad that she wound up getting it instead of the other things on her list. Hopefully I will be able to junk yard score some of the new seats for my WJ. My neighbor just got the new 4runner and after driving both there's no contest with the jeep feeling better by far.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
They are a little older but have you thought about a Commander?

not really, my wife thinks theyre ugly. lol! she really likes the new grands, she's all but decided at this point. she liked a tahoe that we looked at but i think the fuel mileage difference between the two would make or break the deal there. we need more room than our VW offers but a tahoe might be overkill for us at this point. we're not having kids but we do have 3 dogs. we cant exactly take them camping or out to the lake in a jetta.

OttawaXJ

Observer
For dirt roads and DD use you could go with just about any SUV like a Ford escape, anything in the Jeep line, any of the Toyota LT or SUVs, doesnt really matter. None of these will actually do any real offroad use so dont kid yourself. You said you wont be doing any anyway just keep in mind these aren`t built like Suburbans of old. These are all cars first and SUVs second... distant second.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
For dirt roads and DD use you could go with just about any SUV like a Ford escape, anything in the Jeep line, any of the Toyota LT or SUVs, doesnt really matter. None of these will actually do any real offroad use so dont kid yourself. You said you wont be doing any anyway just keep in mind these aren`t built like Suburbans of old. These are all cars first and SUVs second... distant second.

That became quite apparent when looking at them. Everything is more car-like than it used to be. For my wife and DD use, that's fine. I doubt I could bring myself to purchase a Ford but I have considered other mid-size SUVs. The Heep keeps getting my wife's vote so it looks like its happening somewhat soon.

OttawaXJ

Observer
yeah just making sure you knew. lol. Its quite a surprise when you show up to the dealer with an XJ on 33s and misc accessories to look at "offroad" vehicles and realize they have nothing to match it.

jnhenry

Just like AZchris, I'm probably not the right person to put my two cents in...I just moved to Sydney, Australia, and bought a new 2013 Grand Cherokee CRD last week. It had 25km on it when I bought it, and already has over 1,000 now (had a few wonderful drives along the coast the past two weekends). I'm averaging 8.6 liters/100km (about 26 mpg) so far, which just blows my mind.

Have gotten it on a few dirt roads, which didn't challenge it. On the freeway and in the city, the vehicle drives great. The ride is smooth and quite, the GC responds well, and it doesn't feel too big. I owned a 4th gen 4Runner when I last lived in the States, and the current Jeep Gran Cherokee is so much more fun to drive and more refined than my SR5 was (of course, not sure I'd expect any less with 8 years having passed)

Absolutely love the vehicle. Can't wait to get it into the outback!

Jeff

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I have a 2008 wk grand with the 2nd gen 4.7 v8. I get 17 in town. 22 highway. It also has 300 hp.
We just bought a 13' durango with the hemi. Pretty sweet highway bruiser. Based on how the durango drives i would say a 2011 wk2 would be an awesome DD and a capable off roader. The new 3.6 v6 is more than enough power for the jeep and good mpg's.

AVOID the wk with the old v6 (2005-2010) Underpowered and terrible mileage for a v6. The old crd was good as long as some important maintenance items were done.

I would vote 2011 or newer wk2. Cant go wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998