Looking at this tomorrow (ford camper van)

Going to look at an 86 ford econoline camper van tomorrow. Says great shape, inspected, road worthy, new tires, 26,000 miles. $2500. Thoughts? Was thinking about possibly a diesel swap or 4wd conversion and pulling my little expo trailer with it for the kids to sleep in.

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
Looks clean in the pics. You would probably be better off keeping the gas engine. Enjoy it for what it is.

Yeah I'm just tossing ideas out there... if it was taken care of with 26,000 miles it should run for awhile. Ive never driven one but Im wondering if it would be able to handle my 1500# trailer? Seller says it has a 351 in it. It does appear to be in good shape.

Looks clean in the pics. You would probably be better off keeping the gas engine. Enjoy it for what it is.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Does it have passenger seating for the kids? Not sure I would consider the dinette bench good enough. Depends on the seat belt anchors I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sambot

Observer
Check the carfax

Get a carfax to help you verify if it is 26K or 126K or 226K miles.
The older Ford odometers don't have enough digits to tell just by looking.
Even if it is 126K, it is a score for $2500 if it is not rusted out.
Also, I owned one of those Coachman Campers a few years back and did not really enjoy the seams in the bed that folds into the dinette. Make sure you test that out. Finally, that Koolatron fridge sucks as it is only a battery sucking cooler, not a fridge. Finally, the water recycling toilet in mine was a nasty way to do the toilet, I'd suggest changing it out for a portapotti or other system.

Last edited:
GOod info guys keep it coming... Thank you! I will look into all the things addressed... Kid seating is a good question. I was wondering what these vans have for passenger seating?? I have a new Dometic toilet I would be using. Fridge info is disappointing. I was hoping it would be a decent unit. I will also look into the carfax report. I thought 26k sounds low... But I know an old guy has owned it forever and apparently didnt use it much. I will also give the bed a trial run. ;) Thanks!

sambot

Observer
Mine had seatbelts.

Im pretty sure that mine had 4 seatbelts for the dinette. It flips so that both seats face forward. Also, the front seats should swivel.
Mine was a 88' with a 351W V8, Carburated, so it only got 10 to 13 mpg.

I agree, not very safe. Not something my wife would let me drive with kido's in it. I think it's a terrible idea. If your thinking you may want to change engines or convert to 4wd just go buy a newer 4wd van or a diesel van man. It will cost the same as trying to convert or repower this old van, but you will still have an old van. Those vans are pretty well max loaded the way they sit so not going to have much towing capacity.

GlennA

Adventurer
If you don't buy it, please send me the contact information. For that price, I could take it on a trip to Alaska next summer and drop it at the recycler when I return.

My wife and I decided against it just because of the seating for the kids... still looks like a great deal. Nice people. Here is the number if anyone is interested...(610-203-0485) If you do buy it, post pictures and info! :) Its located in Benton Pennsylvania.

SnoViking

Adventurer
There's a similar van for sale right down the street from me (Reading, PA. I'll snap a picture and try to grab a number for you. I was a bit interested in it but don't need another project right now.

It looks promising and I'm betting it will go for a really good deal.

GlennA

Adventurer
My wife and I decided against it just because of the seating for the kids... still looks like a great deal. Nice people. Here is the number if anyone is interested...(610-203-0485) If you do buy it, post pictures and info! :) Its located in Benton Pennsylvania.
Thanks. I'll contact them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78