Looking For A 300GD

The om616 is an underpowered and obsolete motor, also the remainder of the 240GD drivetrain is reportedly of lesser build strength like the smaller axles and driveshafts.

It's true that the four cylinder om616 is underpowered, but they compensated a little with the axle gearing. That means 115 km/hr is the absolute topspeed (68 mph) when is was new. 0-100 km/hr (0-60 mph) is about 35 seconds, though most seems to be in the 40-45 seconds range.
But the drivetrain strength is the same as every other W460 / W461 of that vintage. There are no smaller axles or driveshafts. It just don't have any engine power.

otiswesty

Regular guy
My comments on the drivetrain components of the 240 are based on some info I was given from some British G owners that had prior experience with the Norwegian 240GD. At the time I was considering to import one and that info swayed me against the idea. I have never been under a 240GD or taken one apart, so I am no expert and do not intend to spread misinformation.

As for the Syncro and VW Bus, yes they are underpowered as well. If there was a factory V8 version of these, they would be in my garage instead. Ha ha. The Syncro is nice to keep in Baja where it will be returning to in the not to distant future. The baywindow Westfalia is a really nice camper that is now a bit of a novelty in campgrounds and starts many intersting conversations. The G500 is my daily driver and hard core expedition rig as well. Long live the G-class!

Noodlesswe

Observer
I got a 240gd from the DK army and it was les the 100000km when i got it,
now i have added a STT turbo kit to it and it rocks!!!!!

RangeBrover

Explorer
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been batting the idea around for the better part of a year now. Right now it seems like (at least for us in the states) that it makes more sense to pick up a used 500 or 550, it's just amazing how well these trucks hold value.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
If you get free gas ....

With diesel prices the way they are and the price of putting the motor in, there won't be any savings at all. The opposite in fact. You don't save money with a diesel swap. The reason to do it is the qualities of the diesel, such as low end torque, increased range, greater simplicity and reliability (depends on which one you get), etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears