Looking for a Canter/Isuzu 4WD motorhome

kanga1

Observer
Hi all, not too many of these come up for sale in Tasmania, and only a handful on the mainland in the couple of years I have been looking.
Any info on models to avoid and why would be handy, I have spent hours trawling through the internet gleaning as much knowledge as possible but here seems to be a huge amount of experience.
The sort of thing we are looking for is like this one.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com....ice=[Caravancampingsales])&pso=15&pss=Premium

Which sounds like a decent vehicle on the surface, ( if any one here knows of this Canter I'd be interested to hear from you.)

Cheers for now, Kanga.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My first question would be... what's your budget?
To be honest, I see quite a few of these vehicles up for sale, but most are a bit more pricey than the one you have linked to.
That model Canter is pretty bullet proof and does not have all of the emissions crap, but they are definitely not that speedy on the highway.

Probably need to get more info from you on what you actually want before more suggestions could be offered.

Amesz00 might be able to give you some more info on this specific truck, as it's one of his builds.

kanga1

Observer
Hi mate, I don't want to sink a huge amount into one of these units, it seems they can be problematic to sell when the time comes, $100k would be my limit. I do like the idea of no emissions c-=p. Speed isn't really too important 90-100kmph cruising speed will be fine. You are very fortunate to see in the flesh these vehicles for sale, they are extremely rare in Tassie. Inside shower and toilet, good fuel and water capacity also, single wheels a must (we like the Desert country. Cheers, Kanga.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Speed isn't really too important 90-100kmph cruising speed will be fine.
With the older trucks, you might get 100 km/h on the flats, but it's unlikely they will be able to maintain this going up hills.
The newer trucks are a bit better, but even with 36" super singles, my FG84 has a top speed of about 115 km/h. These trucks are definitely not speed daemons.

You are very fortunate to see in the flesh these vehicles for sale, they are extremely rare in Tassie.

The reality is that you will probably have to travel north to find what you are looking for, because, as you say, the pickings are probably quite slim in Tassie. Sadly, there's not a lot you can do about that.

Just did a quick search on Gumtree and found quite a few vehicles that fall within your price range.
From my own personal experience, if you do plan on buying something like these, a personal inspection is highly recommended. Pictures may look great, but the reality may be somewhat different.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ingham/campervans-motorhomes/4x4-motorhome/1086250968
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/serp...orhomes/4x4-mitsi-canter-motorhome/1096911315
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wind...shi-fuso-canter-4x4-motorhome-5872/1095357507
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bang...-berth-dual-cab-2005-canter-low-ks/1096294466
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/peng...tsubishi-canter-expedition-vehicle/1095044624

Amesz00

Adventurer
Yep the green one was one of ours. It was my old mans own rig till 06 when he sold it in favor of a 10.220 MAN. Both extremely worthy rigs..
I notice that someone has raised the roof on it by about a foot, it used to be just above that gutter line on the side. Personally don't like how it looks now but that may just be me, it was setup to be low and compact, and extremely good offroad, which it was. Wasn't slow either, did a couple of 120km/h runs across the nullabor when we were in a hurry, that little 4d34 3.9 loves to rev (well if you call 3k rpm rev lol)
I'll try dig up some old photos later on, I think there might also be a couple in the 'Mitsu camper examples' sticky thread if you wanna trawl thru there.

kanga1

Observer
Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought of looking on Gumtree and thanks again for having a hunt on there for us. There are some interesting vehicles around and different levels of spec.
I'll hopefully be able to catch up with Amesz00 on here and explore the green one on caravancampingsales.com.au further, it seems fairly good value with many of the items already fitted that we would need.
Cheers, Kanga.

kanga1

Observer
Yep the green one was one of ours. It was my old mans own rig till 06 when he sold it in favor of a 10.220 MAN. Both extremely worthy rigs..
I notice that someone has raised the roof on it by about a foot, it used to be just above that gutter line on the side. Personally don't like how it looks now but that may just be me, it was setup to be low and compact, and extremely good offroad, which it was. Wasn't slow either, did a couple of 120km/h runs across the nullabor when we were in a hurry, that little 4d34 3.9 loves to rev (well if you call 3k rpm rev lol)
I'll try dig up some old photos later on, I think there might also be a couple in the 'Mitsu camper examples' sticky thread if you wanna trawl thru there.

Hi Amesz, I like the way it looked before better too, I'll find out from the seller why he changed it ( if it was him) and find out some other stuff, like how much it weighs before loaded for a trip and how much loaded.
Some friends that we met some years back in the Kennedy Ranges WA have one of your builds, we have seen them again since near where we live in Cygnet, Tas.
Neil and Connie are the folks, they seem to live 6 months in Germany and the other 6 months in their truck in Australia, really nice people. They have spoken very highly of your builds with the off road camper bodies, and I have quietly had a soft spot for the Amesz built for many years. Finally the time has drawn close for the dream to be realised and buy a vehicle that we can live in for extended periods in remote parts as well as the not-so-remote.
I'd really be keen to learn as much as possible about this particular Canter. Thanks for your help and look forward to hearing more from you soon.
Cheers, Kanga.

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi Mate, There is a guy that has a real nice one for sale in Victoria for $120k, but I know he will tale a lot less as he is moving o/s. I tried to get him to separate the camper from the truck and sell me just the truck. It is a low K's FG84 DC with heaps of extras like singles and parabolics.

kanga1

Observer
Hi Mate, There is a guy that has a real nice one for sale in Victoria for $120k, but I know he will tale a lot less as he is moving o/s. I tried to get him to separate the camper from the truck and sell me just the truck. It is a low K's FG84 DC with heaps of extras like singles and parabolics.

Hi its worth a shout, could you member message me with his contact details and I'll chase him up. Cheers, Kanga.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi its worth a shout, could you member message me with his contact details and I'll chase him up. Cheers, Kanga.

Hi Kanga

Where abouts in Tassie are you? There's a very knowledgeable guy I know down near Kingston with an awesome home built FG84 camper. He not selling but worth getting advice from. Also I know of an FG84 camper coming up for sale in about two weeks. On singles and has suspension mods. Only very basic fit out inside though. Has bulk potential.... Around $55k. I'm taking it away for a week so will take plenty of pics and post details up in the for sale thread on behalf of the owners in two weeks. It's located up here.

Regards John

kanga1

Observer
Hi Kanga

Where abouts in Tassie are you? There's a very knowledgeable guy I know down near Kingston with an awesome home built FG84 camper. He not selling but worth getting advice from. Also I know of an FG84 camper coming up for sale in about two weeks. On singles and has suspension mods. Only very basic fit out inside though. Has bulk potential.... Around $55k. I'm taking it away for a week so will take plenty of pics and post details up in the for sale thread on behalf of the owners in two weeks. It's located up here.

Regards John

Hi John, we live a half hour South of Kingston so getting there is no problem ( we pretty much drive through Kingston to get anywhere) I'd be interested to get in this guys ear and have yarn. Also be interested to get the heads up on the one you are having a break in do you know what year it is and the Kms travelled?
Thanks for your help and if you could member message me with the contact details for the Kingston chap I can call to see if a convenient time can be arranged to see what he has built. Cheers, Kanga. ( Adriane )

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
We'll be down your way in January if you want to take a look at our truck, there is no way in the world we'll sell it though as we're having too much fun! :-D

blackduck

Explorer
Kanga
Im seriously looking at the future of my 07FG
its not quite the whole walk in camper thing but has all the facilities (power, water,air etc)
we used it to drag our van round aus for a few years and it served well as a camper in remote areas
now it sits in the driveway and just tows the boat
if your interested id be happy to discuss
.bling wheels (4).jpgbling wheels (2).jpginside looking fwd sml.jpg

Attachments

• truck int 2 sml.jpg
    truck int 2 sml.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 9

kanga1

Observer
We'll be down your way in January if you want to take a look at our truck, there is no way in the world we'll sell it though as we're having too much fun! :-D

Sounds great, would love to catch up and have a yarn, definately sing out when you are in the Cygnet Huonville area and we will catch up with you. my phone number is 0439 262 267. cheers, Kanga ( Adriane)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78