Looking for a GenII gas tank

mike5

Adventurer
Folks,

I'm trying to locate a used gas tank (and shield) for my 96 SR. I think the LS models have the same tank. If anyone has one in SoCal or can point the way I'd greatly appreciate it. Obviously no rust and no leaks/damage please.

For the junk yard suggestions, please note I'd not in the mood to try and remove the gas tank from a car in the junk yard! So that's not an option for me.

mr_ed

Toolbag
Can't help ya with locating one, but just curious...did yours spring a leak?

My gen2.5 was leaking, so I replaced the tank with a fresh, good condition salvage yard find down in Oregon. Now it's leaking too. And I have literally the only gen2/2.5 Montero on Kodiak Island. FML lol.

Sent while on the toilet using Tapatalk

mike5

Adventurer
I don't know exactly where the leak is but it's not the bottom. Somewhere between the tank and rear driveshaft.

RyanY

Adventurer
Did you pull the access panel under the rear seat and take a look at the top of the tank to make sure it's not a fuel line or fitting that's leaking?

andrewr

I had a leak on my gen 2.5 on the top of the tank on the fuel line. I used West System Epoxy and fiberglass cloth on the metal hose/pipe. Been over 6 months and still no problems. They build boat gas tanks with the stuff so I figured it would hold against the gas. Better than $1200+ they wanted for a new tank. I'm not sure what I'll do if it stops holding because I dont know if I can justify spending the cash on that repair

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have access to a 96 and a 98 for parts if you want to pay for my time and shipping, the 98 just happens to be a Cali emissions model too but don't think it matters. But do a thorough inspection of yours first to rule things out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior