Looking for a good 85/15 tire

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Hey guys.

I wanted to get a set of Anakee 3's put on the MTS, but they are not available in the size I need. Ultimately, I'm planning a trip down the PCH to San Diego, over through Anza Borrego, up to Prescott, AZ, Cerbat Mountains, then Mojave Road east to west and back up to NorCal.

It will be a huge mix of terrain, obviously. One of my options would be to ride the Angel GT's down the PCH then shoe-on a set of TKC 80's for Anza/Cerbat/Mojave, then put the GT's back on for the ride back north....the other option I see would maybe just use a 85/15 tire for the whole trip? I asked over on ADV...Jerdog is adamant about tkc 80. I would rather not go through a mid trip tire change if I can avoid it.

Best I can tell, my options are as follows:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2
Metzler Tourance NEXT
Continental Trail Attack 2

What experiences have people had with these? The tourance gets mixed reviews from the GS crowd, Im not sure the Scoprions have enough grip, the first TA got pretty bad reviews, but the KTM 1190 guys and some GS guys rave about the TA2. I have no idea how they are off road.

Would an 85/15 even be appropriate for these areas?

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Try Heidenau's

I am riding on a set of Heidenau K 60 tires and I am very happy with them. Not as good off road as TKC 80's but quieter on road and workable off road. They also seem to hold up well to long distance riding.
Just wondering; how did you pick our little mountain range, the Cerbats? There are not too many trails over them that are easy riding.
Mikey

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Thnx for chiming in. K60 doesnt come in the sizes id need :(

As far as cerbat mountains, i was just looking at the map for something i could make a little loop out of. I can hit that another time with the truck.....

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The more our OJ team rides, the more TKC 80 usage we seem to do. On our trip to Baja last spring, we logged roughly 2200 miles, of that probably only 25% of it was on rugged terrain, but it was pretty gnarly. The rest of the time we just chewed up pavement and the TKC 80s, Savas, and other proper knobbiest we used held up well enough and rode just fine on the tarmac.

I also rode from Denver to Prescott, again on 90% pavement with TKC 80s and they again did great. You'll burn through that rear quicker than most, but it sure beats a mid-trip tire change. I'm always amazed how hard I can push an 80 on the twisties. Great tire. Not my favorite on a 21' wheel at high speeds, but still a great tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12