Looking for a project series 109 4 door in Alaska

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
It isn't exactly a project vehicle, but that guy dumped a bunch of money into the rig to get it where it is. Like all projects, even at the asking price he was taking a bath.

Maintain it, tweak it slightly here or there, but leave it pretty much like it is now. Any major "improvements" would likely lower the value of the vehicle.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
It isn't exactly a project vehicle, but that guy dumped a bunch of money into the rig to get it where it is. Like all projects, even at the asking price he was taking a bath.

Maintain it, tweak it slightly here or there, but leave it pretty much like it is now. Any major "improvements" would likely lower the value of the vehicle.

Yes he did spend a lot over the years. No major mods planned but I would like to lift it some. A spring over would probably be too much. It has parabolic springs and rides very well but low. The 2.8 is pretty peppy for an old 1963 truck. The clutch pedal takes a lot of pressure to push and it needs a steering upgrade.
A very nice drivable project to tinker with.:safari-rig:

Jim

repete

Observer
You need to talk to Ed about steering upgrades. He's got it down! The p38 rangie box works perfect on the series. Check out his build on "yet another 109 project."

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
You need to talk to Ed about steering upgrades. He's got it down! The p38 rangie box works perfect on the series. Check out his build on "yet another 109 project."

Your right, his truck is outstanding. The thread is a terrific read. In fact it's what started my latest obsession with Land Rovers.....:smiley_drive:
You wouldn't have some 1 ton shackles laying around would you? I spent some quality time under the truck yesterday. Doesn't look to bad under all the collected layers of oil and dirt. The forward right hand shackle is impacting the frame under load. The parabolic springs are fairly flat. The previous owner removed the winch drive line to install some tube headers. Im not sure if it will fit back in or not yet. And im missing one 1 1/16 lug nut.

Jim

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Ed's doing my P38 steering conversion, so he'll be cutting out the plates soon if you're interested in getting in on it. I got my box off of eBay, and shipping cost as much as the box did. I still need to pick up the intermediate shaft.

I have a Scout II box/pump/hoses if you're interested. Cheaper initial investment, but you have to deal with the longer pitman arm.

What RM parabolics do you have that are flat already? Did he put the 2-leafs on the rear? I could trade you my 1 ton springs for them. They ride like steel I-beams, but they won't sag (or flex) ever. Ever.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Power steering brings SO MUCH win on a 109. Oh my god. Anyone who says differently needs to have their head examined.

The P38 conversion is popular with the kids these days. I would recommend going this route, actually. I put a scout box on my 109 and it is a big SOB. From what I can tell, the P38 box is more compact which once you look in your engine compartment around that area, you'll realize that compact is better. Also throw a steering stabilizer on there.

RM springs bring the win. Also new seats do too. I've had mine for a long time. Dunno what Mike is talking about. Mine are far from flat. Also they flex and ride SO much better than the stock springs.

Invest in a set of good noise cancelling earphones. Not noise isolating. Right now I'm using noise isolating and they aren't as good as noise cancelling.

Lastly, if the weather gets good enough to take the door tops off, invest in a door top bag. I've got one from Atlantic British. Its awesome.

Have fun with the 109!

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer Mike, power steering will be great but not now, its lower on my list.
Can you part with the shackles or are they on your truck? There are 2 leaves in front and 3 in the rear.
I shouldn't have said the springs are flat. They are arched but with the spring wrapped around the lower bushing it impacts the frame under flex. I think the longer 1 ton shackles will do the trick. It does ride nice with the parabolic springs. In fact a lot better than any jeep on leaf springs I have had. The muffler needs to be rerouted so its not hanging down below the frame. Its probably one of the 1st things to do after the winch shaft.

Jim

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Right now I'm leaving the shackles on my truck until I sort out the suspension. It will be a while before that gets done.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
It warmed up to a balmy -5 F in Knik today so I took her for a spin.
So far I have installed the PTO winch drive shaft, turn signal protectors and most important the bonnet mounted spare. Also changed to real Alaska plates and installed the middle front seat. The Kodiak heater is great in negative temps. The gearing feels high with the Ashcroft high ratio kit installed. 1st gear feels like starting out in 2nd. I think the standard gearing with an over drive would be better but then I loose the pto winch. Decisions, decisions.
Here are a few shots in the driveway.

SAM_3424_zps872a623c.jpg

SAM_3428_zps3205edb4.jpg

SAM_3432_zps548fd103.jpg

matt s

Explorer
I am in love with your truck and you are killing me.

I really need to get my blazer back on the road. Maybe early January if things go well.

Keep posting it motivates me to get in the garage!

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Right now I'm leaving the shackles on my truck until I sort out the suspension. It will be a while before that gets done.

Hey Mike,
I have been looking at info on the 1 tons. They look great. Just the right amount of lift and I love the 900 tires.
Do you have any pic's to share?

Jim

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
I am in love with your truck and you are killing me.

I really need to get my blazer back on the road. Maybe early January if things go well.

Keep posting it motivates me to get in the garage!

Thanx Matt,
Those old Blazers are quite the head turner as well.
I try to get something done on my truck/projects while I'm home.
Its back to work in 2 weeks.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998