Looking for a truck camper.... am I missing something?

bcrez

Adventurer
I have a 2010 Tacoma double cab short bed and I'm looking for a truck camper. I currently live in the mountain states (I travel around from Colorado to Montana). My long trips are usually in south eastern to south western UT. I will be heading south to Tierra Del Fuego in the next couple of years. I drive shelf roads, steep, off-camber trails, and all other obstacles associated with determined off-road driving. So, that's what the camper will be used for... Also there is the possibility that it will become my main residence. I have already looked at and considered the following:

-Flippac: not strong enough to hold up to extreme wind, not warm enough in the winter for high altitude winter storms, expensive.
-Wildernest: generally unavailable, and I have no interest in rebuilding one.
-FourWheelCamper: hideous interior, expensive for what you get.
-Pheonix: Pricey. Not the best rep.
-Exkab: Not easily attainable in the U.S.
-and a traditional truck cap...

If it were a perfect world I would have a mutant camper cross bred between a FourWheelCamper and an Exkab. Given the fact that this will be my primary residence for a long while, I am not really willing to compromise on comfort or performance. I like the low key exterior of the FWC and the interior styling/ functionality of the Exkab. The Exkab is European, and shipping one to the states makes it unreasonably expensive... besides the fact it is already expensive.

Is there anything I am missing here? Anyone know of anything I havnt looked at? Have a neighbor or a friend who builds custom campers? a magical camper gnome hiding in the forest somewhere?

Help.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
a magical camper gnome hiding in the forest somewhere?

Marc at XP Camper.

He is working on a camper for the Tacoma platform, I think it is exactly what you are looking for. But it will be the most expensive option.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
How is the interior of the ExKab any better than the Four Wheel Camper? I realize that four wheel campers are a little spartan, but the ExKab looks like the inside of the international space center. Also Four Wheel Camper is now offering new birch interiors with new fabric choices.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Also Four Wheel Camper is now offering new birch interiors with new fabric choices.

No more birch interior, just the new "snowflake" white.

I also think some of fabric choices may have gone away, I am not 100% sure, but some of them are gone from their website.

EDIT: Again, FWC needs a better website.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I guess it depends on what kind of camper you want, Not only Coyote RV but Outfitter and Hallmark are located in the Denver area. The problem is price.....it's easy to spent $25,000+ on one of these. I bought a used one...so far so good.

phird05

I may be wrong but if it was me weight would be on the top of my list.

As many have said in other posts and sites (me included) the weight issue is a sales point with many manufacturers and NOT the finished weight with options. Any company can advertise a weight of 6-900 lbs. but by the time you add in the options, the weight is going to be 12-1400 lbs regardless of the manufacturer. IMHO, throw the weight issue out the window and look for the other likes and dislikes to make your decision. Mine were the seamless one piece carbon fiber roof, fixtures that are far nicer and seem to be better built, the dinette set up with a table that really works well and a larger water and propane capacity. In addition, I have an under bed storage system that is essential for my needs and in the colder temperatures I fill it with soft goods to help insulate the cold from underneath. The counter top and sink are a one piece composite material. Can you tell I like whatever I can get as a seamless unit? The roof...no seams or screws...no leaks. The sink and counter as one piece....no drop in sink to seal around....no leaks. Also, the structural integrity is awesome as well. Almost all of my trips are into the back country when ever I go out fly-fishing and or back country skiing. It has been through some very rough terrain without issue. I also like the large windows next to the dinette. There are also windows over the kitchen counter giving me very good light on both sides of the camper

I'm not trying to sell Hallmark, I just took my time and made my decision after almost three years doing my homework and couldn't be happier with what I purchased. And of course, the customer service has been exemplary, although I have had no issues or problems. I have only had to call or visit them for informational purposes when I was getting my feet wet as a new pop-up camper owner shortly after I purchased my camper.

Everyone has their valuable opinions which hopefully gives consumers enough information to make an educated decision when spending a lot of cash. This is my opinion and I hope it helps someone when they are trying to figure out what may work for them.

Good camping!

Paul

Overland Hadley

on a journey
As many have said in other posts and sites (me included) the weight issue is a sales point with many manufacturers and NOT the finished weight with options. Any company can advertise a weight of 6-900 lbs. but by the time you add in the options, the weight is going to be 12-1400 lbs regardless of the manufacturer. IMHO, throw the weight issue out the window...

Or you could not get every option available, and keep the weight down. But if you want to pile every option on, then yes, you will have a heavy camper with all that stuff on it.

I understand what you are saying, there is just another way to look at it.

(I would like to have an awning on my camper, but I will not because of the added weight. Same goes for hot water heater, pressurized water system, vented hot air heater, refrigerator, house battery system, wet toilet, camper jacks...... But I will have a lightweight camper.)

phird05

I couldn't agree with you more, Overland. I just think there is a common misconception that when a manufacturer advertises a lightweight camper, the customer thinks that is what it weighs going out the door. I have read several posts over the years stating they are surprised and somewhat annoyed after they weighed their camper that they were several hundred pounds over the advertised or "unfinished" weight regardless of the chosen options. When I was doing my homework I noticed one manufacturer had in very small print "call for options weight". This was what clued me in that I should be looking very close at the weight of options in addition to the advertised shell weight. Once I did the research I knew this manufacturer was going to be very close in weight as the one I eventually purchased. At that point the weight issue was a very low priority and it was about the features I mentioned earlier, the options, comfort and interior fixtures and layout.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
No more birch interior, just the new "snowflake" white.

I also think some of fabric choices may have gone away, I am not 100% sure, but some of them are gone from their website.

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/products.htm

If you look at this list of current changes and updates to the four wheel camper line. You can click and see the fabrics are tan and a nice outdoor print. They also list a change from oak to birch, and the walls are a color they call vanilla grey snow. They say, "They both have a little bit of a lighter color to them, and it gives the inside of the camper a more modern look."

Overland Hadley

on a journey
http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/products.htm

If you look at this list of current changes and updates to the four wheel camper line. You can click and see the fabrics are tan and a nice outdoor print. They also list a change from oak to birch, and the walls are a color they call vanilla grey snow. They say, "They both have a little bit of a lighter color to them, and it gives the inside of the camper a more modern look."

For a while you could get the interior walls in the Birch, now the walls only come in white. White is cool, nothing wrong with that, but I am not 100% on the "snowflake."

There used to be two nice blue fabrics, now it is just the tans. (Good thing I am doing my own interior. :ylsmoke: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78