Looking for advice on buying a 150 series in Europe (maybe 120)

ajctraveler

Observer
I'm sure this has been discussed in bits and pieces, but I'd like to get some updated advice that's tailored to my situation, so hopefully this thread isn't a problem. Also, I guess this will serve as my introduction thread. I've done a fair bit of traveling in my life, but never overland. At the moment I've been in Europe for the last three months with a rented car and I've really come to like the idea of having something consistent and dependable, so I'm planning on continuing my journey through Europe, then driving to Southeast Asia this fall/winter and onto Africa next year with a car that I'm planning on buying within the next month or so. I was referred to the forum by 1LoudLX, a friend from an exotic car forum that I was a part of.

So, from the research that I've done so far, I have decided that I would be best suited with a 3.0 Diesel LC. I'm not looking to break the bank with gas costs of the V8.

My questions, in no particular order are:

Would you say a 120/150 are the right model for an around the world trip?

From what I've researched, it seems that the easiest/cheapest places to get a car in Europe are the UK or Germany. The UK might be an issue with LHD, but I'll be there next week and I'm going to make some phone calls anyway, I'm focusing a bit more on Germany at the moment. Am I on the right path?

If I get a 150 (09+), am I potentially getting a car that's "too new" and therefore negating the convenience of being able to find any replacement parts in 3rd world countries?

Outside of trying to find a low mileage car that's been well maintained, what else should I be on the lookout for?

Many thanks in advance,

Tony

Last edited:

Sparky34

First of all, welcome on ExPo. :)

I think both Landcruiser 120/150 are a good choice for overlanding, in this case it's best to buy a diesel version, because in some parts of Africa it's difficult to get petrol and diesel won't be a problem, and a diesel engine is more reliable, easier to repair and has a better milage.

Also in Africa there are driving already some 150's. Personally I would prefer to go with an 120 because it has less electronics and it's proven to be a good reliable car.

If you don't mind of the RHD I would buy the car in the UK, because the prices are the lowest there. I can also maybe give you a good place where they can do the servicing/modifications in the UK. If you want to buy a car with LHD than Germany is the best option.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Mechanically, there isn't a big plus to the 150 over the 120. Anything recent like this, that you would find in Germany will have low miles (km's that is). Chances are that it will also have an exceptional maintenance history. Many of these are bought for towing trailers, so if you buy a MT model with a hitch, think about the clutch before you drive around the world. As long as it has the space you want, you really can't go wrong.
Other options in Germany include the Pajero and L200/Magnum/Triton. Used car prices tend to be favorable.

ajctraveler

Observer
Thank you both.

I am trying to work out what the process will be with registration through two German dealers at the moment. From all of the searching that I've done, it seems that the car is considerably cheaper to buy used in Germany for whatever reason. I'm hoping to get a lightly used 2011 model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears