Looking for feedback on CVT Black Butte (Ground Tent)

compactcamping

Explorer
No problem, basically the footprint is the same length as a King size bed and 6" wider. I found two adults and a couple of border collies no problem size wise. Not sure about the space difference between two border collies and a small pony :) I would consider them functionally equivalent. Yes, when I've used one, it got strapped to the roof racks

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
There is more info on CVT's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.583485351698869.1073741866.183671291680279&type=3

We would like to welcome a new family member we have had for awhile now. This is the new CVT Black Butte Ground Tent. This unit can stand free or attach to the end of your awning. It literally just takes seconds to set up. Open size 6'6"wide x 7' deep 80" tall in the front and 60" in the rear. Closed 6'7x9"x9" http://cascadiatents.com/

And a video of someone opening it: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.183671291680279&type=2

shogun

Adventurer
Kind of lame that it doesn't come with an awning already attached to it. Still an awesome looking tent though

Hey, what do you expect, its CHEAP. Thats the sole attraction, its CHEAP. Its a unabashed copy of the OzTent, but Cheaper. It doesnt have the quality and wont be as durable as the OzTent, its Cheap.

If cheap works for you, if you dont want/need high quality due to expected usage, then its probably a good deal. But lets at least admit the truth, its Cheap.

surferdude78

Observer
Just like almost everything else, Oztents are made in China & apparently have been for years.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/63663/OZTENT_RV5.aspx

I just got one of the new Tepui Kukeman Ruggedized tents & couldn't be happier with it. It's certainly not "CHEAP" when it comes to quality & features, is very well made & right up there with the expensive African brands that I was originally considering.

MTSN

Explorer
I just received my Black Butte from CVT over the weekend, and I had to set it up indoors due to the rain. I like how quick it is to set up and it looks nice. My only question/concern is with the poles that go from the ground support to the vertical support. I would assume they'd lock in at pretty close to 45 degrees with no bend, but the only way it works (without folding back down into itself) is when the poles have a bend in the joint. There are hard plastic clips that make it stay in place, but it seems that it would not have much lateral stability especially if it got bumped into on the sides. Here's a couple of pictures - let me know if this looks right. Thanks.
IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0949.jpg

MTSN

Explorer
Also this is the upper most pole that forms the leading edge of the roof. I assumed it would snap into place totally vertical, but it looks like it's angled back slightly. Does that appear normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 22

CorreCaminos

Observer
I set mine up with the diagonal poles WITHOUT a bend. That should bring the front vertical poles forward and make them entirely perpendicular to the ground. I think that joint is the only weak point of this tent as it seems somewhat fragile and a potential source of problems.

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Pleased to hear you received your butte. Must mean the shipment has finally arrived!
I'll post mine when I receive it so we can compare notes!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have been looking at these as well. I have 2 kids, and my oldest is growing WAY too fast. I am 6' tall, and at 8 years old he is up to my chin...oh oh. The Mt Hood CVT I have will not fit all of us, so I was looking at a second RTT for the roof of the XJ. This option might work however. I picked up a 7' Camping Labs awning and already have a 56" CVT, which both should work with this tent.

Still hoping to get a hard shell RTT, but might just grab one of these based off of ease of use and price. Hope it works out well for you, would love to see some action shots of these.

MTSN

Explorer
I set mine up with the diagonal poles WITHOUT a bend. That should bring the front vertical poles forward and make them entirely perpendicular to the ground. I think that joint is the only weak point of this tent as it seems somewhat fragile and a potential source of problems.

Agreed. I feel like they have some lateral play that could cause it to break with repeated use or abuse. I guess I'll find out this summer!

Edit - BTW did you receive any instructions or anything in yours? I ordered the tent and an awning and didn't get any instructions or anything. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something in the boxes.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Just got back from NWOR in Plain WA. There were a lot of these tents on the ground and lots of people using them in numerous ways and configurations. There are nearly identical tents from Tepui and a few other makers as well. Lots of people using them with 1 or 2 cots, using them for eating/bug rooms off their awnings, and 90% of them were used free standing.

I am sold on them now after seeing this design in action. I am going to order one very soon. Wish I had more $$ and had seen them sooner, I would have asked Bobby to bring me one to the event. He had a trailer full of stuff there and did some installs for some customers meeting him there. Nice guy too.

So no personal experience, but lots of feedback from owners.

acg

Adventurer
I have my Tepui version at the NW Overland Rally.

Word of caution, we bought our Disc-O-Bed after purchasing the Tepui tent. The Disco-O-Bed is too long to fit into the Tepui tent. We are considering going to the larger RV-3, RV-4 or RV-5 versions made by Oz Tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears