Looking for Forum Members to Test a DECKED Storage System

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
BBsound, You sound like a DECKED guy already! Unfortunately we can't seem to open your photos. Maybe you could try again?
Thanks,
DECKED

WheelsUp

Observer
Hey Wheelsup,
It's a matter of molding and massive tooling costs that prevent us from creating a GEN 1 Tundra solution. The rear of the GEN 1 Tundra bed is simply narrower than our overall system width. Ironically, my dad drives that same vehicle and I can't even give him a nice father's day present.
However, it is sort of possible, but you have to cut the rear ammo can out a but which does present a few challenges. It will take some of the payload capacity away, but if you are using it for traveling and sleeping on, not hauling massive items, it shouldn't matter that much. But it would void the warranty etc.

Thanks for the comments!
DECKED

Since it's the tailgate end that is too narrow, could someone potentially use the shorter drawer system, so it doesn't go the full length of the bed?

*edit*
The more I think about it, the wheel wells would probably cause a similar issue using the shorter drawers.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Way too many trucks in here, need some van love! :D I'm right down the road too in Boise, here are a few shots of my E250 that's the current family camp rig. The RTT comes and goes, I have a trailer for it but it's fun to sleep way up top sometimes. I'm currently finishing up an interior sleeping solution for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. Tight but doable. Storage under the rear platform is rudimentary at the moment but works. The Decked setup would be an awesome addition. We'll be using the crap out of this all summer so let me know if you guys are interested.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hi Decked!

I just found this thread, so I'm copying my original post from the thread in the Domestic: Full Size and Other section to here for your consideration.

I'm in the market for a drawer system for my 2004 F250 Super Duty (with the supercab) which has an A.R.E. Shell on it.

View attachment 343518

I originally looked at the TruckVault brand, but after seeing the price and having a heart attack, I was going to custom build one but I have too many projects going as it is. Also, I'm getting older and have chronic lower back problems that are getting worse every day, so I'm now looking for something I can just drop in and go.

About eight months ago, after reading everything I could about the Decked System, I thought I had found the answer. I went down to my local dealer with the intentions of purchasing one, but after looking at their display model, I left quite disappointed.

The biggest problem I found with it was, there is a lot of wasted space!

1. Every wall on it is thick and bulky to give it strength.
2. The drawers only open 2/3 of the way, with almost no access to the last third of the drawer. This is a major drawback!
3. The sides of the drawers are tapered and narrower at the bottom, which means tool boxes, tackle boxes, etc. will not sit fully against the side walls creating more wasted space. I do see a custom fitted box is now available to fit the drawers, but that means all new toolboxes must be purchased.
4. The lock mechanism takes up almost 6" at the front of the drawer wasting more space.
5. The roller mechanism and tracks take up quite a bit of space also, including another 4"- 6" right down the middle.

But, on a good note!

1. The thing is well build using very good materials.
2. It is supposed to be weatherproof, however I can't verify that since I don't own one.
3. Several accessories are available for it such as, trays, dividers, and tie down points.
4. Easy to install and doesn't require modification of your vehicle. This is a major plus!
5. I suspect it is lighter weight than an all metal or metal/wood hybrid product.
6. And most importantly, it's made in the good old USA!

Right now, I feel like I would lose too much space with the Decked System, and considering what it cost, that's not acceptable. I have almost decided to just install a bed slide, and that way I can put what I need on it and where, but that doesn't solve the problem of concealment or security.

However, with all of that being said I would be willing to test one of the Decked Systems to see if my first observations and opinions are wrong. I learned a long time ago, no matter how much you read, hear, or look at something, you can't really develop a good sense of its quality or capabilities until you actually use it in the real world. If my original opinion turns out to be wrong, I would probably purchase one because I need something now. It's getting just too hard to crawl in and out of the back of that truck.

In addition to a couple of pretty complete tool boxes, I also carry off-road recovery tools, roadside emergency tools and supplies, medical gear (EMT), and survival tools and supplies, etc. Once a Firefighter, always a Firefighter! I'm also in the process of building an off-road camper, and am constantly transporting supplies and components and going in and out of the back to retrieve items.

The truck is my daily driver and is also used for working, camping, shooting, and general purpose hauling.

Thanks, and I hope you don't think I'm being too critical...just trying to be honest.

Last edited:

TRUBRIT

I just finished installing my Decked system yesterday. Very pleased with the quality and attention to detail. This is no flimsy piece of kit. Very heavy duty. Very easy install. Instructions well done. The whole system is very well thought out. The drawers are BIG!
Granted there is some non usable space but I would say not that much considering the amount of engineering design that went in to this.
My suggestion to Decked is to consider this a base to build on. Why not offer waterproof storage boxes that slot into your Trax system and lock in place? How about offering a full size spare wheel mount that fits to the deck or fitted on the same Trax system so can be slid to the tailgate when needed? I am installing an nfab fast strap tire carrier to your Trax system. I will be purchasing suitable boxes and using some Core Trax fittings so they can slide and lock in place. Much better than bungee cords.
From a business point of view on your test offer, even though I drive a '15 Tundra, I would go Taco. As another Member pointed out, the Taco outsells the Tundra and judging by the Forum is much more in use on the trails. Cheers

Shawntt17

I just finished installing my Decked system yesterday. Very pleased with the quality and attention to detail. This is no flimsy piece of kit. Very heavy duty. Very easy install. Instructions well done. The whole system is very well thought out. The drawers are BIG!
Granted there is some non usable space but I would say not that much considering the amount of engineering design that went in to this.
My suggestion to Decked is to consider this a base to build on. Why not offer waterproof storage boxes that slot into your Trax system and lock in place? How about offering a full size spare wheel mount that fits to the deck or fitted on the same Trax system so can be slid to the tailgate when needed? I am installing an nfab fast strap tire carrier to your Trax system. I will be purchasing suitable boxes and using some Core Trax fittings so they can slide and lock in place. Much better than bungee cords.
From a business point of view on your test offer, even though I drive a '15 Tundra, I would go Taco. As another Member pointed out, the Taco outsells the Tundra and judging by the Forum is much more in use on the trails. Cheers
Hello Trubrit

I really like you ideas, I personally don't have a decked system yet but hopefully soon, the idea of locking weather proof boxes is a great idea, and a spare tire holder would be great. I am Running 37 inch tall tires and it doesn't fit under the bed so a built in way to hold it would be awesome. Great ideas and I hope to be testing a system soon.

Shawn
2003 ford f-350 crew cab short bed fx4 Bullet proofed Power Stroke, ARE camper shell, CVT roof top tent, (hopefully a decked truck bed system soon)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shawntt17

I have a quick question is the deck strong enough to mount a fridge slide to. Thanks

Shawn
2003 ford f-350 crew cab short bed fx4 Bullet proofed Power Stroke, ARE camper shell, CVT roof top tent (hopefully a decked truck bed system soon)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TRUBRIT

IMHO it looks strong enough and thick enough. The entire deck is rated for 2000 lbs. Maybe Decked will chime in and confirm.

TSAdventurez

Blogger/Adventurer
I would be interested in testing one as well. I am interested to see how well it works with my RTT set up.
28c1887cfcab7021b5360e8cbd3ed314.jpg

6689cf62196255e5bb39e75092df771b.jpg

62b559595803fb2db9f3aca5c978952c.jpg

9642321d8f85ba01f3b840478b2ae9e8.jpg

3fa87d30b221a744656fe86919eb74e2.jpg

Here are a few pics of the truck.
I will also be attending expo east this year and doing several camping trips. So I can display it at the expo and provide a detailed review as needed. I can also put the company logos on my truck if wanted during the testing and expo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I'd be interested in testing out a set. I'm in the process of building out my Tundra right now and have been debating on how to keep gear locked between a truck bed cap and a drawer system. I actually like the modularity of simple storage bins in the bed that can be re-positioned or even left home as needed depending on the trip. However I do love the idea of not digging in a bin for something. Plus my setup I can cook off the tailgate and a slide out pantry would be ideal.

Currently I can slap a bunch of ratchet straps and bungees to keep my bins down while bouncing down a rough dirt trail. I've seen how Decked holds the corners of the bed but I've launched loosely secured gear in back when going over bumps and ledges before, so I'm wondering how well that whole heavy tray system holds up.

The already planned trips I'd be able to test it out would be a week in The Maze District of Canyonlands in early June, 100 offroad alpine miles through the Wasatch Plateau in Summer, 171 offroad miles in the San Rafael Swell in Fall, and a currently unmapped trip through the Grand Staircase Escalante in late spring or fall. Plus however many short 2-3 night trips I can squeeze in in the meantime.

20160415-4150425.jpg

20160415-4150282.jpg

20160414-4140174.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/dustinbaughphoto/

Last edited:

TommyG

Adventurer
A Decked system is on our short list of items to add to our truck so I would be interested in testing one also. The modular construction, light weight and ability to install/remove it easily are attractive features. Our truck is a work and play vehicle so I can't do too many permanent modifications when it comes to the bed of the truck. Being able to park a machine on top of the system or throw a load of firewood on there and then hose the whole show down afterwards would be very handy. The way is breaks down into components would make removing is and storing it when needed a practical option as well.

Attachments

• 667.jpg
    667.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 27
  • 678.jpg
    678.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179