Looking for ideas for my 2018 Silverado project

Mr.Roadwarrior

Hi folks,

I just recently traded my Hummer for a 2018 Silverado 1500 crewcab, shortbed, LTZ, 4WD w/ G80 locker, shortbed.

My goals:
1. Must remain a daily driver
2. Looking to support long trips whether for business or holiday
3. I would say "light" offroad compared to some of you guys.
4. Camping in the truck but carrying a large tent for basecamping and a backpacking rig for trail hiking.
5. Getaway vehicle in the case of hurricane evac (I live in Houston)

What I've done so far:
1. Changed the tires out to 275/60/20 (Goodyear Ultraterrains)
2. Beefed up the rear springs with an add-a-leaf
3. Added ARE cab-level cap w/ side opening windows, 12v power in the rear and LEDs
4. Added DECKED drawer storage system
5. Added TUFFY rear seat safe
6. Viair continuous duty compressor w/ 2.5 gallon tank (in-progress)

Other plans:
1. Aux Power unit- I am currently working on a portable power pack using the "Minnkota battery power center" and a type 24/27 battery
2. Tune - I am already not liking the V4/V8 mode switching...I plan to chip this out and hopefully get a slight performance tune with it
3. Lights - light bar behind grill, dually's in the back, environment lighting flush on cap.
4. L-rail - I have two lengths of L-rail and I plan on running them along each side inside the bed
5. Foam mattress for on top of the DECKED platform...it makes a nice bed platform
6. 4High or 6High light mod

What mods would you guys/gals add to this list given that it's a brand new truck and usage is above? Please keep in mind this will never be a little jeep or a hardcore crawler.
I want to get my overall plan together so I can prioritize and get moving.

I promise to post some pictures later this week of the rig, what's been done so far.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I would say fridge in the 2nd row seats (seats folded up). Be good for both camping trips and business in my mind. And wouldn't kill space in the bed. I dont know if you have kids or not and need the 2nd row seating a lot?

You might consider some sort of tarp system off the back for camping. Good to have shelter from rain (and hot sun) that sets up easily.

I think that would do a lot to make things easy to shift between camping and dd use.

Mr.Roadwarrior

I would say fridge in the 2nd row seats (seats folded up). Be good for both camping trips and business in my mind. And wouldn't kill space in the bed. I dont know if you have kids or not and need the 2nd row seating a lot?

You might consider some sort of tarp system off the back for camping. Good to have shelter from rain (and hot sun) that sets up easily.

I think that would do a lot to make things easy to shift between camping and dd use.

Yes, I have been looking at different awning designs and like the DIY ones that use telescoping rods that all fold out...seems relatively simple, lightweight and inexpensive. Have also been playing with some large, superstrong magnets for attachment to tarp, but haven't gotten it down to a convenient design yet.

chet6.7

Explorer
"5. Getaway vehicle in the case of hurricane evac (I live in Houston)"
A way to carry and secure(from movement) extra fuel and water.

Mr.Roadwarrior

Here are some pics, as promised. In one of them, you can see a few of my current projects - onboard air, fan install, a few others.

Happy to take questions or get additional advice, y'all have been very nice.

RW

Attachments

• Truck3.jpg
    Truck3.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 59
  • Truck5.jpg
    Truck5.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
  • Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69
  • truck4.jpg
    truck4.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 70
  • Truck2.jpg
    Truck2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 62

Wilbah

Adventurer
Pics look great. And thanks for the answer- so with no kids and 2nd seating being available for storage, break it down into what you need to be able to have quick access to versus less access to in deciding what goes in the 2nd row area versus bed/decked system storage. I would also keep noise in mind, so stuff that might clank (tools, jacks, etc.) I would want in the bed and keep stuff that is relatively quiet (clothes etc.) in the 2nd row.

I mentioned the fridge before on one side, then maybe a smaller double or triple drawer system on the other side for easy storage there. Maybe a MOLLE system on the back of your seat (or seats) for first aid, camp light, but you don't need to get too carried away with that. If you expect to air down and back up a lot maybe have your deflators and inflator hose in a pouch in the back so you don't have to open the tailgate etc. every time to get at it. One thing that I know from logging roads in Maine or dirt county roads, the back of the truck will get covered in dirt and dust post haste and having access to certain things without having to open and close the cap top & tailgate is nice. Especially if its raining when all that becomes a nice layer of mud.

Do you need the full width of the bed for sleeping? Does your wife go with you for those camping/hiking trips? (If she does then you can't put a lot on top of the decked system for storage without having to remove it all/most of it to sleep at night). But if she doesn't and its just you for those trips then you could devote half the area above the decked system to additional storage and the other half for you to sleep (I have done this a lot in my Yukon when the wife wasn't with me- half stayed storage (2nd row seat folded down) and half was my bed). If you can devote half the bed area to storage maybe another set of drawers on one side for ease of access.

Also, how do you do most of your cooking? Is it off the tailgate in which case a slide with a stove may make sense or do you prefer to set up camp with the stove on a picnic table etc. If (and this is dependent on if your wife travels with you or not) you want the ability to slide out a stove to cook (meaning in a self contained slide out) it might make sense to double stack the decked slides (can that be done?) and use the decked drawers for storage (tools, etc.). Because if you set up a stove on the tailgate you cant access (easily) the drawers behind it. But if you usually set up camp, put the stove on a picnic table or whatever then you still have access to the drawers. Maybe a solution is a small folding table- you could put that up just outside the tailgate, the tailgate can act as a table/counter but you still have access to the drawers if needed.

The topper doesn't have a roof rack correct? Thinking for a tarp it would be +/- difficult to attach to as its fiberglass. Or are you contemplating a roof rack for your planned light system(s)? In which case you could use the features of the rack to attach a tarp to in some fashion. Looking forward to this- I think the full size pickups are a great platform as the size gives you a lot of options over the mid-size trucks. Yes they have their limits and not the best for rock crawling but for what you have stated I think its great. Good luck!

Mr.Roadwarrior

Thanks for the ideas...yes, wife goes with me most of the time. We drive around, explore, get some history and some culture, drive back roads and trails, camp, do whatever we want. 60% of the trips are 4 days or less, but occasionally we do long trips and I'm planning on doing several Eastward trips(Skyline, Smokies, Houston-to-Key West) in 2019. Houston to Durango seems like a nice possibility too.

The drawers hold everything I need, including repair/recovery/camp kitchen/hygiene and more... I have thought about a rack but am not ready to drill holes in my cap yet. Would like to hear opinions on that. It would be nice to be able to put an AluBox or similar up there though. We definitely don't take the world with us, so far we have not had an issue with storage space but I can see a very long trip to a very remote place could drive us in that direction. I like the overhead cargo nets inside the cab for soft stuff and would swap out the Contigo for a larger storage (I have some large size Plano's that I used in the Hummer). I do like the Contigo as it is very sturdy and I've modified it to be able to attach items to the outside via small bungy-type elastic w/ paracord locks. Seems like I should also consider creating some hanging/cargo space using the cap structure inside, but have not found ideas for that - everyone wants to show their shelf systems but they never show the little mods they do to make the interior more comfortable and organized....go figure.

My ViAir 455C, which I'm installing this weekend, will T at the tank and provide air access on both sides of the vehicle. I have a toolbag that already has all my air-related tools and accessories and it stores easily in the back. I thought long and hard whether to use my spare battery space for the compressor or for a dual-battery setup but now I've decided on the portable power pack so I can install the ViAir in the battery space.

I forgot to take pics of the Tuffy rear seat safe...I really love it for keeping valuables while travelling --- this is the same unit that goes into police vehicles. I would have to get creative to put some mounts over it and have shelf storage, but you have me thinking now, let's see what I can come up with. I think that is a definitely required item, especially when driving closer to the Rio Grande such as at BBNP/BBSP.

I have also considered a Wilco-type swinging tire carrier that can hold my farmjack and my sceptre cans....haven't found the right combo of value/function yet but maybe when I hit the lotto I'll buy a Wilco heavy duty unit as I don't see a lot of competition from a functionality standpoint.

Definitely looking for a good collapsible table, that is a missing piece of the puzzle and have been looking at several units that are pretty reasonable/functional.

As far as cooking, I cook off the tailgate for now using a Triton. It's portable from spot to spot. While I love the Partner stoves and similar, I'd rather not commit to a slide-out yet and will shake everything out over the next year before deciding whether to go there - definitely an option.

As far as tarp, I will either go with the design that uses joined, swinging extendable poles or an ultralight, removable design I am working on now using 50lb-pull supermagnets and SilNyl --- if I can get that to work and not be embarassing, I'll post some pictures.

One of the pics shows my 5000w MSW inverter. My plan for that is to use a 24/27 type battery in a Minnkota PowerCenter box strapped to a yes, wait for it, granny grocery trolley....then attach the inverter. The plan is to have a portable, rechargeable power source, primarily for 12v stuff but capable of more if needed. And yes, I understand why I should have bought a PSW not MSW inverter, so let's avoid that discussion. :)

Respecto to all you folks out there on this site...I've been refreshing my views of the builds/pics/threads to get some education and creative ideas.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Of the two- Durango area v Key West I would go with the Durango hands down (having been to both). Not that Key West isn't fun just not the same. Get to Silverton and you can spend days prowling the back country doing some of the lesser rated jeep trail/county roads- Hurricane Pass, Ophir Pass etc. Look at some of the threads here and you will see some great pics to give you an idea of the country, its spectacular.

Gotcha on the other info- maybe some shelving along the inside of the bed (shallow though so as not to take up too much of the sleeping room). If you sleep head towards the cab maybe a reading light on each side, a shelf for cell phones, (a charging port?), etc. Think of what you have on your nightstand. Those little things can add a great deal of comfort without killing your storage ability. At the foot end you could put other daily need items you can grab leaning in (TP, Paper towels, etc.)

I'm with you on not drilling the cap if you don't have to. If you can design an easily deployed tarp but doesn't require drilling that's a big plus in my mind.

Mr.Roadwarrior

Thanks man, some great ideas there, especially the shelving...I am gonna use a few of them.

Might hit you up when I'm prepping that Durango trip.... Looks like we will probably do a long haul to that area, then bounce back slowly and time it to hit the Tucson Gem & Mineral Shows. I've been in that area too on a San Francisco to Houston run I've done a few times and a Denver through New Mexico trip as well. Nice little towns, cool stuff, good breweries, fun roads.

As far as the tarp, I have been playing with a pretty weird approach I haven't seen anywhere and it really takes advantage of the vehicle's weight and shape. It also requires only two poles and very few lines. I have to play with it more and test it, but once done, I'd be interested in some feedback from the forum. So far the two problems are staking for stability and working with the SilNyl material - - major PITA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle