Looking for my next rig.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Yes that is a recap of the off-road series some more googling should also yield the detailed article on each part of the project if your interested.
The Rav4 is very comparable to the Subaru forester. The off road series prepped rav4 and the preped foresters here on the portal are quite comperable. Both are miles ahead of the crv in terms of parts available. Engine failures in ravs do seem to be more rare.

For global expo use I feel the Rav may in fact be a contender as its a global spec vehicle with good parts interchangeability and there just is common in most foreign countries as the us, which is to say they are quite common.

Picking up a 2004 or 2005 for 7000 may be a bit tough but with a 1996-2000 it should be easy and even leave money for mods. Locke the Subaru a lot of off road parts are custom with the exception of the arb old man emu bits.

While not expo per say this is really cool.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...s/84464-mini-alltrac-3sgte-rav4-1-2d-awd.html

Strangely rav4s seem to get over looked with Subaru getting all the attention. Ravs are much more appreciated in Singapore, Australia ect.

There a capable soft roader like there subaru counter parts and really drive like cars on the road.

Dakar Pajero

652641d1286710686-scale-rc-mitsubishi-pajero-dakar.1.jpg

That's a great pic, it is too bad that we never got the 2 door version of the Gen II and Gen III here in the states. I also wish we got the Evolution model with the MIVEC V6. I would snatch on up in a heartbeat. Mitsubishi missed the boat on that one.

bigmack

Observer
I like the Montero, but they stop making the 2dr variant for the North American market, and the older 2drs are a bit harder to locate, and some of the ones I have seen are a bit over priced too.

As for the rav4, would the 2dr, or 4dr be a better starting point? Also would the better starting point be gen 1 or gen 2, wasn't clear on that? I want to make it less of a rally, build and more like a regular 4x4 that can handle solidly on the streets, like in the same vain as the VehiCross.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
The montero and vehicross are really trucks the RAV is at its core a car.
I have never ridden in a VehiCross but I have ridden in a trooper and its a terrible choice for traveling on interstates at interstate speeds.

If you want the off road ability of a body on frame truck with a 2 speed 4wd transfer case, solid axles and leafs you will be disappointed with the RAV. In my opinion the RAV handles better on road than a camry of the same year and is certainly more fun to drive.
The best RAVs are from 1998-2000 (late 1st gen) and from 2004-2005(late second gen). The 2door was only available for the first Gen in the US. Protecting the under body is a fully custom affair so it makes no difference in the choice of 1st generation or second generation. The 2az-fe engine is only available from 2004-2005. The arb old man EMU suspension is available for all RAVs from 1996-2004. I would avoid the 1AZ-FE even though it is a good engine because those cars have transmission problems. All the RAVs seem to have the same better than average tire clearance.

bloodycape

Observer
I think the VehiCross is actually based on the Rodeo platform, but then tuned a bit up for better handling vs the Rodeo/Passport. However, I am not sure if the VehiCross off-road capabilities went down a notch by making it a sportier handler.

Trooperchris

The Vehicross was based off of the Trooper RS. A shorter version of the Trooper which was a 2 door. It is extremely capable however, the back seat is a little cramped :Wow1:

Also, the trooper at highway speeds is extremely comfortable. However, it depends on which version you are talking about. I have a 97 with 33s that I have no problem traveling 80mph but I also had a 88 that I would not have done that with. :ylsmoke:

bloodycape

Observer
How does the 2dr Trooper compare to the Vehicross in terms of handling out of curiosity(either gen available in the states)?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The VX has much stiffer shocks and suspension than the soft Trooper suspension. Of course, both are upgradable with OME coils etc.

RS Troopers are quite rare in the US. But at 17" shorter than the 4-door, it makes for quite a nimble trail rig.
ReadyforMoab005.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yes, the RS Trooper has more rear overhang and is taller, plus a softer stock suspension. Much more room inside, though. I am headroom challenged and can't fit in a VX comfortably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman