Looking for new multi purpose Toyota

Bighead

Adventurer
w
Did the 100 ever get the 5 speed? I know the Sequoia did starting in 2005, and I presume the Tundra got it then as well.

I test drove a 2001 100 series when I was shopping for my 4runner and I'm pretty sure it had a 4 speed auto (maybe the same A340 that was in the 3rd gen 4runner?) Felt like a tank, very solid, but I couldn't get past the poor MPG. Very nice interior, though.

2003. Having owned a '99 LC with the 4-speed, the 5-speed makes a big differenc in driveability.

Wheelman

Been there...

I appreciate your dilemma and offer the following:
My wheelin' experience started in college when I traded a seriously modded SAAB 99 for a Series III Land Rover 88. I spent the next several years supplementing my income with a series (excuse the pun) of Land Rover projects. I lived in a part of Maine where hard multi-day trips were possible and ultimately, shaped my love for overlanding. My off road experience is a mix of Northern New England and Rocky Mountains, where I still get to wheel on a regular basis.

My rides cover a variety of 4x4 vehicles including: several short wheelbase Rovers, a couple of modded JEEP Cherokees, an '05 Toyota Sequoia, '07 GMC Sierra, a 2010 Tundra double cab, a 2010 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior and, as of this month, a 2013 4Runner SR5.

Off road, I never felt as happy as I did driving my 1966 IIA 88... until this month. The 4Runner is interesting to me because after 3000 miles, I am in love with it. I don't typically fall in love, but the 4R is special. My wife drove it for the first week we had it and I asked her how she liked it. Her response" "it isn't a Sequoia". Her all black Sequoia Limited had been a family favorite until we traded it with 100K. I reminded her that the Sequoia had a $49,000 sticker when the original owner bought it in '04 and the 4R had a sticker in the mid 30's... nine years later! That is enough of a delta to notice!

That said, I can feel the off road heritage in the 4R. It has a visceral functionality that I associate with Land Cruiser name before that prestigious marque became synonymous with chilled center consoles and burl wood gas caps. The proportions of the truck are great (right down to the 109" wheelbase) and the power train is perfectly functional if not somewhat industrial. I cant wait to start my build.

I had the Tundras at the same time as the Sequoia. They were the least fuel efficient vehicles I ever owned. I drive 30,000 miles / year and the $100 fill ups were wearing me out. The Sequoia, with its 4.7, looked like a fuel mileage champ at 15 mpg. Don't get me wrong, the Tundra Crewmax has great interior space and gobs of power, BUT, it was a hog. Moreover, as someone who lives in a place where a full sized pickup is the most common vehicle on the road, the Tundra stuck out even here. It was simply too big. I would put the new Sequoia in the same category.

Now having eight years of experience with kids and their gear, we dismissed the FJ out of hand. It is simply too small for our purposes. Getting in and out evoked memories of when our first child was born and our 2-door Tahoe. The Tahoe lasted a week before being traded for a 4-door Cherokee. This ime around, we also looked at the JEEP Unlimited, and while I liked the new powertrain, I was concerned about over the road comfort.

I bought the 4Runner on a whim and have been surprised with how much I like it. The Crewmax was the high-water mark for hauling kids around as the rear seats easily accommodate any imaginable configuration of child car seats and put the little weasels far enough back that they cant kick the back of your seat. Like the CrewMax, the rear seats in the 4R recline and are quite comfortable. If they weren't, we'd hear about it.

My 2013 'runner is a Mag Gray SR5 with convenience group. I added after market leather and seat warmers into the deal for a grand. This week it is getting some Michelin AT/2s and an OME lift with Bilstein shocks. What appeals to me about this platfom is that building it will enhance on-road performance AND off-road performance. When I am ready to take it off the front line, I will be able to build it into a more purpose built off roader.

For my money, the best kid / family friendly off road vehicle is the 4R. Good luck with your decision.

4runnerteq

Explorer
4runner all the way. I work at a Toyota dealer and am fortunate to drive a demo. Rt now im in a 14 Taco. have had many Tacomas and 5 or 6 FJs and own 2 4runners. While I greatly enjoy the FJs when its just me and really thought I wanted one, they are short on inside room for a family. And I greatly miss the roll down rear window of a 4runner, and the sunroof. I dnt knw why Toyota dsnt put a roll down rear window in there. And I do enjoy the Tacos as well. But having all my stuff inside the runner & out of the weather. SR5 with leather and heated seats or Trail for me.

Arktikos

Explorer
4runner all the way. Maybe consider one of the older V-8 4runners. Lifting is not necessary and may even be counter productive. After all you're talking about a family wagon. Keep it stock.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
4runner all the way. Maybe consider one of the older V-8 4runners. Lifting is not necessary and may even be counter productive. After all you're talking about a family wagon. Keep it stock.

Good point. I was able to run some fairly mild but still extremely scenic 4wd trails (Cinnamon and Engineer Passes, the "Alpine Loop") in my bone-stock 4th gen with stock sized snow tires (Cooper Discoverer M+S) and I even still had the running boards on, did great!

Sport43537

Against a lot of advice, I purchased the 2013 FJ on Saturday. I had GY Duratracks installed today (285's) and ordered the rear hitch, rock rails, and OME lift today. The rear seat is a little tight, but the kids are loving it. Also added a convex mirror to help with the blind spot. I'll post pics as the build continues. Thanks again for everyone's very helpful comments.

Richietherocket

Adventurer
I have an FJC with the wife and 2 kids, 6 and 2. We go camping and wheeling at least twice a month. The kids love getting in and out of the doors and climbing around. We have taken trips that are a full week in the back country of CO and never had an issue with the gear. They have a roof rack on them, you need to utilize it. I can throw up our wolfpack boxes, fuel and chairs and have plenty of room inside for all the soft stuff. 50qt cooler, no issues. Big 6 person tent, no issues. I think people just dismiss the FJC because it doesn't look right with blind spots, small storage and weird doors. You can pack alot of stuff in them if you think about it. We all played Tetris growing up, that helps.

Good for picking the FJC Sport43457. You will thoroughly enjoy it!

Sport43537

I picked up the new FJ on Saturday and I've been busy this week with my initial mods....285/70/17 GY Duratracs, OME lift (2884 / 2895E), factory rock rails, and factory rear hitch. I plan to start on my cargo storage system this weekend. So far I'm loving the FJ!

FJ1.jpg
FJ2.JPG
FJ3.JPG
FJ4.JPG

UncleBilly

Observer
Great start. Just read in MotorTrend mag that after 5 yrs the FJ retains 84% of its cost. Pretty damn high! The 4Runner retains only 58%, which sounds a little low too me. The 2013 FJ Trail Teams in cement color is awesome! I still like the extra room of the 4Runner...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998