LOOKING FOR OFF-GRID CAMPING NEAR SW PENNSYLVANIA!

FandL

JK ADDICTION
I see so many places expo rigs are camping in the west! I'm having no luck finding legal off-grid camping near me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll travel to any of the surrounding states...

I appriciate any help....

ottsville

Observer
Check National forests and state forests. I know there's some around Champion where I used to camp - nothing remote, but still out of the way.

MOAK

Adventurer
I see you are from SW PA. In the Highlands? or burbs of Pittsburg? Either way, there is a bit of off grid driving and camping to be had down in the George Washington & Jefferson National Forest. We have been down only once and just scratched the surface. It seems the further south you go the more off-grid it becomes. About the only "off-grid" area we have in Pennsylvania is Bald Eagle SF. Call the ranger station for free maps, primitive vehicle campsites, and organized site in the state parks that are within the forest. Everything out near you is private property. In fact most everything east of the Mississippi is unfortunately private property with a few pay for play off road parks. Not to get political but we need to start paying attention, so that what happened to the east will not ever happen out west.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Thank you guys...

I'll check everything out, but to be clear....I'm looking for a place to 4-wheel to and camp in my expo trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    568.3 KB · Views: 23

RedM101A2

Our area is still behind the whole camping thing. Lots of so called camping areas that are full of lot models parked five feet from each other.
See "Slippery Rock Camp Ground" and the whole Bug out and EXPO trailer thing has not caught on either. I was at REI in the south side years ago when I built my trailer
asking about Roof Top Tents and they had no clue what I was asking about. I wish we had more open areas to get away that were closer.

john61ct

Adventurer
Are you guys saying all the State Parks that allow people to camp in tents on the ground, for some reason don't allow you to use a RTT?

My understanding of "off grid" is that the site doesn't offer any utilities like power, running water etc.

Or is it a cost issue, or something else I don't get?
9ac14cb19ce828a7bb946338c9abd991.jpg

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
My understanding of "off grid" is that the site doesn't offer any utilities like power, running water etc.

I took it as he's looking to four wheel to some where in the woods, not camp next to a bunch of other people in a developed campground.

john61ct

Adventurer

I took it as he's looking to four wheel to some where in the woods, not camp next to a bunch of other people in a developed campground.
aka "dispersed camping"

If that's the case definitely more common in the sparsely populated parts of the planet.

Where millions of people are close by any land where that is allowed that would quickly get destroyed.

Advertising on CL or asking farmers might get you a spot on private land for a few days at a time, but for my property I'd want a hefty deposit.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Here in Dueling Banjos, You can get stuck right quick in that JK! There are few rough roads around here, but certainly no shortage of mud. We don't have any "trails" here, but I four wheel every day just going to work or feeding animals up at the barn. While you may see another house in the distance, most of the time if you are camping around here you are only going to have cows for camping neighbors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger